Queens Cup ***GAME OFF***

tm4tj

18 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Yes I was wondering where that upset ranks in the list of biggest SC shocks, and also whether any of the tabloids will do a Superdarvelgoballistic…” headline! Darvel did great and worked so hard all over the pitch, against a team 5 leagues above them. They are pretty well resourced for a part-time team though, and were up against a team in poor form, to the extent that BBC sensed blood and picked the match for live coverage.

Our rivals to the title of biggest upset (Berwick, Clyde, Darvel) all had the significant advantage of playing at home. And they only won by 1 goal!

Elgin put 2 past 'top flight' Ayr in 1966/67 cup. The last 'non league' team to do so.

• Thank You 1

Darvel were brilliant..or did Aberdeen make them look good? No, I don't think they did. Darvel were at them from the start. Rode their luck on quite a few occasions but hung in there. Falkirk up next for them and every chance of QF place if they put in the same kind of performance.

• Well Said 1

Don't doubt Darvel may give Falkirk a tough game, but now there is media focus, expectation and much more pressure for them - some quarters may expect them to push or even beat a team from the seaside leagues given their exploits last night. Usually after a peak result like this, then the bubble bursts. Fully expect Falkirk to get the job done and go through with the stadium and pitch being less of a differentiator given the levels of teams/players involved.

• Agree 1

James McFadden had it right when he commented at half-time that there was only one team playing like a premiership side and it wasn't Aberdeen. Think bdu has the gist of it, Falkirk will know what they're up against and will likely put up a much stronger display than a dispirited and lacklustre Aberdeen.

Been scanning the news today to see who was sacked first, Jim Goodwin or Nadim Zahawi - shockingly neither of them so far...

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Darvel win announced as “The biggest upset in Scottish Cup history” in the Reporting Scotland news headlines.

I would say that is true... I remember Charlie Christie saying that part of the motivation for our players back in 2000 was the odds of 18-1 against us. After someone on Facebook wondered whether they would regurgitate the "ballistic" headline I looked at the Scottish-Sun website (I know, will bleach my eyeballs later) and in the story there, it notes Darvel were 33-1 outsiders so definitely longer odds than us for a single game. 

And to save others the trouble, no, they didn't regurgitate the headline, they didn't even mention us. They referenced that "they became the first non-league side to beat a topflight club since Elgin shocked Ayr back in 1966". At least when we beat Celtic we were rising stars of the leagues and would only be 4 years later we ourselves were in the Premiership (thanks in part to many of the players on that night) so a shock yes, but not as earth shattering as this one!   

image.png

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic