Robbo

Caleyjag

Am I the only one who thinks this way - as our Director of football I would expect John Robertson to be at our game, not at the County game doing commentary on the radio? As far as I understand he is partly at least responsible for our signings, how does he know what we need if he is only at half the games?

Rant over!

• Agree 7

It does seem odd that he chooses to do other paid work on a match day. He doesn’t NEED to be at our matches, as he’s not part of the coaching set up, and as for scouting, his job is not to identify what we need but to go out and find what the manager says we need - but still, you’d think he’d WANT to be at matches.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 1
  • Well Said 2

Regardless of what he does or doesn't do, in my eyes in his role as Director of Football, he should be at ours games, no ifs or buts or if he wants to be or not.

He should be told that it a requirement of his role.

Edited by MrCaleyjag
  • Well Said 2

I don’t think Robbo should be doing the reporting of other games.

However, it may be that his salary with us has been reduced to reflect his role with the BBC, which I’d be fine with.

If that is the case, the club should be open with fans and I’m sure we’d understand the position and be a lot more comfortable with.

One thing he did say today is that when he and Dodds discuss signings, Dodds has the final say. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robert said:

I don’t think Robbo should be doing the reporting of other games.

However, it may be that his salary with us has been reduced to reflect his role with the BBC, which I’d be fine with.

If that is the case, the club should be open with fans and I’m sure we’d understand the position and be a lot more comfortable with.

One thing he did say today is that when he and Dodds discuss signings, Dodds has the final say. 

Sorry but can't see this? 

Don't for a minute believe the last bit either regardless of what he's saying

• Like 1
  • Well Said 2

46 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Sorry but can't see this? 

Don't for a minute believe the last bit either regardless of what he's saying

I actually agree with you.

It all highlights why we need open communication by the club  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

52 minutes ago, Robert said:

Doubt at any point a contract would have a legal standing to try include a clause staring it would reduce your renumeration in accordance with benefits from other incomes, or anyone would sign it. Additionally any other incomes or contracts will be covered by confidentiality clauses so he wouldnt be able to disclose terms.

• Well Said 1

14 hours ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Regardless of what he does or doesn't do, in my eyes in his role as Director of Football, he should be at ours games, no ifs or buts or if he wants to be or not.

He should be told that it a requirement of his role.

What is the role and job spec of the Director of Football? This post seems to be relatively new in the football world. Certainly a post you never heard of back in the day. Maybe they do a lot of work in the background that fans never to get to know about. To me, with all due respect to Robbo, it's seems like a post we can ill afford. :ponder:

• Well Said 2

2 hours ago, Gringo said:

What is the role and job spec of the Director of Football? This post seems to be relatively new in the football world. Certainly a post you never heard of back in the day. Maybe they do a lot of work in the background that fans never to get to know about. To me, with all due respect to Robbo, it's seems like a post we can ill afford. :ponder:

I think he's title is Sporting Director so even more confusing? 

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

1 hour ago, STFU said:

Did Scot Gardiner not tell us on the podcast that we were all too stupid to understand the position that Robertson held, so there was no point trying to explain it?

No, he explained what the role was and what additional projects Robbo had been working on. I think it was pretty clear for anyone who was prepared to listen with an open mind.
Whether or not a club in our predicament can afford to have a DoF role is certainly up for debate, but as the position only came about because Robbo had 2 years left on his managerial contract, I doubt we’ll be retaining that structure unless we somehow get promoted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • angry 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

You mean he also does someone else's job on the radio?  :wink:

This habit of spending Saturdays at the wee team has been a bit of a sore point for a while. Also a friend of mine, who has a ST at Tynecastle, took hospitality for the Celtic game in March. So I see him on FB getting selfies with Robbo. Fair enough our game was on the Friday night but even so...