Morton at home Feb4th

tm4tj

4 hours ago, STFU said:

I genuinely admire your positivity, Robert...but no way was that a fair result.

We stole a point today!

I didn’t think I was that positive as the first half was woeful. However, until Duffy’s gift, I thought we were going to kick on and win it, whilst our attitude and effort in the second half was chalk and cheese from the first half.

At least we managed to equalise after that howler and well done to young Cairns for being in the right place at the right time.

I thought Shaw made a difference when he came on today as he was happy to run at defenders.

Allardice is getting back up to speed and I’d start Harper at left back ahead of Delaney next week. After a good start with us, Delaney seems to have faded recently and has had a torrid time in the last two league games.

An update on the injury position would be helpful. Sean Welsh was missing, which is a concern. Lewis Nicolson has not been in the squad for the last two games so is presumably injured at present. He should get a run in the team in my opinion. Ben Woods has vanished after being used as a sub just after he signed.

Then we have MacGregor, Samuels, Sutherland, Walsh and Deas: an indication of how they are progressing and likely timescales for returning would be helpful. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 3

Another insipid ponderous passionless performance from our worst ever team. We were so bad that we made Morton look half decent! I really have to think that they practice things in training, but I don't know what it is, the team has no identity. We're definitely not a defensive team, we give goals away in every game. We're definitely not a passing team, we struggle to string a series of passes to feet together, and keep insisting of punting thirty yard diagonal passes into a strong win?????? These are supposed to be professional coaches and players???? Clueless. We're definitely not a counter attacking team, slow ponderous and always on the backfoot, never anticipating anything and second to most balls.

We started the second half the way we should have started the game, but when we managed to get the equaliser, we reverted back to our default position of standing off Morton and letting them back into the game. That was the time to keep pressing them, as they were creaking. 

This is a huge month for our season, but going by the last couple of performances, I feel it's going to be season over by the end of February. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Another insipid ponderous passionless performance from our worst ever team. We were so bad that we made Morton look half decent! I really have to think that they practice things in training, but I don't know what it is, the team has no identity. We're definitely not a defensive team, we give goals away in every game. We're definitely not a passing team, we struggle to string a series of passes to feet together, and keep insisting of punting thirty yard diagonal passes into a strong win?????? These are supposed to be professional coaches and players???? Clueless. We're definitely not a counter attacking team, slow ponderous and always on the backfoot, never anticipating anything and second to most balls.

We started the second half the way we should have started the game, but when we managed to get the equaliser, we reverted back to our default position of standing off Morton and letting them back into the game. That was the time to keep pressing them, as they were creaking. 

This is a huge month for our season, but going by the last couple of performances, I feel it's going to be season over by the end of February. 

This...

Yes we got a point but I really don't think I can watch this poor football anymore. Was sitting in my seat frozen thinking what am I doing here? Looking round about me I think a lot of folk have already voted with their feet? Sad times 

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

This...

Yes we got a point but I really don't think I can watch this poor football anymore. Was sitting in my seat frozen thinking what am I doing here? Looking round about me I think a lot of folk have already voted with their feet? Sad times 

Spot on, we were saying the same thing. We must be mad to sit in those conditions and watch this utter rubbish. It's supposed to be entertainment, but there is absolutely nothing entertaining about going to the stadium at the moment. There are more and more empty spaces starting to appear around us as well, which will get worse and worse if there isn't some kind of improvement over the next few games. We have been beaten and dropped points in previous seasons, but you could always say that we gave it a go, or we were unlucky, but more often than not, I'm coming away from games saying the other team was better than us, or we didn't deserve anything out of the game. I agree, the only plus points were it wasn't a loss, small comfort, and young Cairns got his first goal for the club, and it was an important one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kind of Blue said:

The defence keeps making schoolboy errors which is costing us dear. If that doesn’t get sorted out asap then the season is a goner.

I think it's a goner already. A gubbing is very much on the cards at Livingston next Sat and if that is the case it will do nothing for confidence in the team. 

• Agree 2

I was wondering why did Dodds not play Shaw from the off as he makes a big difference running down the wing and with Jay Henderson on the opposite wing they can put good crosses in for Billy ie feed our main striker with good balls.

We don't seem to have a plan.Nearly all free kicks in our own half go backwards instead of looking for a forward opportunity. We seem to lack any attacking savy.

Our passing is shocking and for some reason some in the team lack real fight and desire.Realistically we are a poor Championship team and don't look at all like promotion hopefuls. 

Like others I don't know how long I can sit in these freezing conditions watching utter garbage.

• Agree 3

We were terrible in the first half then came out flying at the start of the second. The tempo was up and there looked a real desire to get back into the game. We deservedly got an equaliser then all the positive play we saw dissaperaed. We started to sit off and stop attacking. Why we didn't continue playing the way we started the half I've no idea. We do this a lot. When we're in the ascendancy and score we stop playing. I don't understand it.

Also Wallace Duffy having to go off the pitch because he didn't have shin guards on was a joke. Does he not know the rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Hard to tell, but was Duffy clipped by Muirhead as he came in behind him???

I don't think there was any foul. I think it's just really poor defending. You would think Duffy would of protested more if there was a foul.

6 hours ago, Gringo said:

I think it's a goner already. A gubbing is very much on the cards at Livingston next Sat and if that is the case it will do nothing for confidence in the team. 

Agreed.

At best we are in a four team contest for fourth place with Partick, Raith and Morton. Queens Park look out of our sights as we will not claw back 11 points and 14 goals in 13 games, whilst I can’t see us clawing back 7 points on Ayr and Dundee either.

It is so frustrating as if we played every minute the way we played the first 20 of the second half yesterday we would be in a much better place. We can do it but it seems we choose not to. 

• Agree 4

To be brutally honest, you have to win this league to get out of it, playoffs are just a sham in their current format.

Aiming to reach the playoffs is just what most of the championship managers aspire to at the start if the season, which gives them some breathing space when they don't finish first.

As it has even pointed out several times, the quality of this division has fallen over the last few years - teams are so closely matched and only the best resourced ones can strengthen when & where they need. At the same time the gulf between this division and the Premier has widened quite considerably, in my opinion.

• Agree 5

^ thanks. Saves me writing that this wk as I've been saying the same all season. Next year if DUtd, Motherwell or County come down then it'll be everyone else fighting play-off places, really doubt there will be another season where all teams are as equally bad as each other like this and last where we've failed to capitalise. Best hope Killie come back down again.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic