Such is the apathy...

tm4tj

2 hours ago, Robert said:

For me we peaked when we finished third in the league and won the cup in 2015.

Our fortunes have certainly changed since then! Two years later we were relegated and we’ve never recovered.

We did not maintain the quality of player in the squad when that team started breaking up. Butcher, for me, attracted players who became a great team. Hughes largely inherited that but his recruitment let us down. Foran was a popular choice to replace him but, as Scotty has eloquently said, it didn’t work and we didn’t make a change quickly enough.

Unforgettable nights like 8 February 2000 were part of the great journey we were on as we climbed the leagues, but I’m with Satan and RiG, they were not when we peaked. 

Tremendously said

In most cases, improvements are made from the vantage point of strength and success, but we actually got weaker after our most successful period in our history. That, to me, was the start of our decline to where we are now.

Our success in winning the Scottish Cup, finishing third and playing in Europe should have attracted a higher calibre of player that came to the club to replace Shinnie, Watkins, Ross and Oferee, but we got Webberburn, Lopez and Co. The dip in quality was woeful, and that was down to a disastrous scouting policy that Hughes had. If we could have kept that cup winning team together for another season, who knows what would've happened, but that, and Hughes throwing his toys out of the pram, kick started our sorry path to decline. Having him on gardening leave for several months, and having to recruit from within the club (Foran), was where it all started to unravel, giving him such a long contract and not relieving him of his duties early enough compounded the ever growing problems at the club. It was a series of blunders that are still having the ripple effect to this day.

• Agree 6

Maintaining the 2015 SC team together was financially impossible. As with any club that is smaller & successful whether in Scotland, EPL, or Europe it gets asset stripped very quickly - if other clubs start offering your players double or triple salaries you can either overextend to keep them or they leave and you are back to recruiting within your own economic pond. Our situation was worse by the fact we let contracts expire due to the policy of short (1 or 2 year deals) to preserve our financial commitments & risks therefore rarely receiving and transfer fees.

We'd all have loved to see that squad stay together and see what it could have achieved going forwards but it was inevitable that would end. The combination of factors all aligning to bring forwards another crop like that and develop success has low probability - so many examples out there. It does not mean mistakes were not made and the club should be in a better position with recruitment, finances and player development.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

In fairness to Hughes he had the admirable aim of trying to keep the likes of Shinnie, Watkins etc on longer deals. I seem to recall him saying something like he wanted ICT to stop losing players for nothing and keep them for longer or at least on deals that meant when they did move on the club could benefit financially. Unfortunately this wasn't straightforward and whilst Butcher was pretty decent at "recycling" the squad whenever we lost important players Hughes was, as discussed already, pretty shambolic in the transfer market. Ibra Sekajja anyone? Yikes!

• Agree 2

We have had a number of quite capable managers with the reputations and personalities to draw in more capable players. Is it not simply that we went for the cheap option, took a huge gamble on Foran and dropping out of the top league was the death knell which we have rarely looked as if we could climb back up. As for this season we have to keep the current regime in place for purely financial considerations. Any change at this time may be critical. I understand that we may have interested onlookers considering a major takeover. That would lead to placing another figurehead at the helm, local and loyal senior crew members initially in support and looking at journeymen to take us to the promise land. I sense a resurrection of HMS Sneck sailing into the horizon..

• Like 1
  • Thoughtful 1

14 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

If old friend I simply inform you that the voddies were a plenty but served up with pleasing company and positive outlook in the confines of the Heathmount 🙄

That will do for me :smile::smile:

17 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

If old friend I simply inform you that the voddies were a plenty but served up with pleasing company and positive outlook in the confines of the Heathmount 🙄

It’s been really refreshing to see your many recent posts. We all need a positivity injection after all the doom and gloom of recent weeks and the Livi result was the first one and hopefully the team kicks on from that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

To be fair I have not suffered the depth of anger and frustration borne by others who have been regular attenders at games and spending a lot more spondoolicks. I was at both the Maryhill disasters and Morton the previous week and the damage was all but evident. Livi was literally akin to waking up from a lengthy deep depression and being catapulted into delirium and mania. Lets hope this was'nt a brief psychotic episode and we can all return to a normal mood cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Same kind of night, too.

I still wear the same hat and scarf to games.

Over the years, beating Celtic became a bit boring, though.

Please tell me you've washed it!

• Funny 2