Apathy Monitoring Research Project

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Sponsored by the Granville, Toich and William Bell Research Society (GTWB)

The aim of the study is to record the apathy levels amongst supporters of Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club over the period between Saturday 18th February to Monday 13th March. The participants of the study will be the willing supporters of the ICT Online Forum.

The aim is to produce a report which demonstrates any changes in the mood of the support, particularly in regard to the levels of apathy.

The levels should be based on the level of anticipation that the club has the capability of automatic promotion, ability to reach a play off place and taking into account the overall performance of the team i(inclusive of tactics) in each game during the stated collection period.

Following every game participants will be asked to score their levels of apathy following the game, utilising the following scoring criteria - and providing explanations in regard to the reasoning behind their scoring.

1 - Totally devoid of any glimmer of hope.

2 = Just about ready to throw the towel in.

3- Beginning to see a shimmer of light but not overly hopeful that the light will develop.

4- Things are looking slightly better but not exactly giving me too high a level of anticipation.

5 - Signs that things are beginning to improve and an increased confidence that it could be maintained.

6 - We appear to be going in the right direction and the continuing improvement gives definite hope for the future.

7 - We are maintaining the levels of commitment and change of approach which eminated from Livingston and things are looking a lot brighter.

8 - If we go on like this we could make the play offs comfortably

9 - If we go on like this we could make the play offs and reach second place.

10 - If we go on like this we could win the Cup again and make automatic promotion.

PLEASE ADVISE OF YOUR APATHY LEVEL PRIOR TO THE LIVI GAME AND AT THE PRESENT TIME PRIOR TO THE HAMILTON HOME TIE TO ESTABLISH A BASELINE

Thanks to Smirnoff and Coke for their support throughout the Research Process.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

I wouldn’t consider myself apathetic about the club at any time. I’ve been frustrated this season by our inconsistency, which has made it a stop start season, and some of our tactics when we have not played to our strengths (indeed, sometimes we seemed always to play to our weaknesses).

Hopefully Saturday marked the start of a good run in, but we will know soon enough! Hamilton have normally had the better of us recently, and they are on a decent run, so we need to have the same attitude and performance level in the forthcoming games against them as we had at Livingston. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Robert said:

I wouldn’t consider myself apathetic about the club at any time. I’ve been frustrated this season by our inconsistency, which has made it a stop start season, and some of our tactics when we have not played to our strengths (indeed, sometimes we seemed always to play to our weaknesses).

Hopefully Saturday marked the start of a good run in, but we will know soon enough! Hamilton have normally had the better of us recently, and they are on a decent run, so we need to have the same attitude and performance level in the forthcoming games against them as we had at Livingston. 

While I agree with Robert  before the Livi game I was 3 and after it 5 so will see what Saturday brings.  

You also add a bit of spark to the forum IHE :lol:

Bearing in mind that a post match-reaction to a pitiful humping might knock a point or 2 off one's score, I would say that after the Queens Park Cup game I'd sunk to a 1, climbing back up to somewhere about the 2 side of between 2 and 3 by the morning of the Livi game - not out of renewed optimism mind you, but more out of a gradual lifting of the Queens Park post-match depression.

Similarly, after the Livi game I was away up to 8 but now a more realistic 4 as I realise we're much more likely to raise our game against Livingston than against Hamilton.

So to summarise:

2 prior to Livi game

4 now

I am probably the most optimistic person on this whole forum lol just behind you IHE, I'm so glad your back posting as I really enjoy your banter/craic etc 😛

Before Livi I was a 4 and that's based on our inconsistentcy.

Now I am a 7 and that is based on excellent we were on Saturday so I am a bit more optimistic that we can maintain our push for the play offs and at a push automatic promotion.  

Hope that satisfies you IHE :D.

• Like 1

Before the Livingston match it was at 2. Sitting in the freezing cold and wet watching the worst football ICT have played didn't help.

After the really unexpected result in beating Livingston in the cup, I would put it at 4, in the hope that we can maintain that level of performance. 

I'm convinced that Dodds isn't the man who can take the team further, we might scrape into the playoffs, but that's as far as we go.

Before = 2

After = 4

1 before and still 1 after.

This pattern of a run of painfully awful games followed by one entertaining one, and fan acceptance that it somehow means we're doing better than we are, is why we're in this mess and it needs to end.

I enjoyed the Livi result and maybe we can do something in the cup, but it doesn't undo all the shyte or give any hope for the league.

Dodds still needs to gtf, and Gardiner et al need to go with him.

• Agree 1

Pre- Livi - 2/3

Post Livi - 4

Genuinely think the cup draw could not have been much better for giving us a Hampden path - Not sure I'd expect to get further than a semi-final but hoping for a great day out regardless and that it send a positive feeling through the squad.

This league is crap, just look at the form. No team has won more than 2 from their last 5. If we could turn it round and be consistent by picking up just 2 or 3 wins over the remaining games more than those around us then I think play-offs are easily achieved, but its too late to take the title - that I expect will be Dundee. Play-off wise, we should be aiming for the final again however its very dependent on who we play there.

I'll caveat that we are just one Billy Mackay injury away from being mid-table

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

IHE, in best Spinal Tap tradition, your scale should go up to 11, based on the rumours which you keep alluding to.

11 - I'm going to buy the club and we will be champions of Europe in 2025.

You should have been a Shrewsbury Town supporter in the early 1980's plus I have always agreed with the hypothesis that you simply have to make 10 "louder" but remain in the achievable bracket. The rumours that I allude to are my scoring bias and nobody else's - plus I have retained them in confidence. This is a serious Research project so I would appreciate your actual scoring.

Same as BDU for me 

Pre- Livi - 2/3

Post Livi - 4

Certainly on the up since new year but we need to sustain the level of intensity shown against Livingston in the Cup. The haters can like it or not, but injuries have been a massive part of our season. Hopefully we are beginning to see an improvement on the park and there's more to come. Based on that we could see a strong finish to the season. Failing that, big changes will be required for the near future.

Some people need to examine their expectations and see if they are achievable.

• Agree 1

pre livi: 1

post livi - 3

Went into the livi game expecting us to get totally thrashed.  Obviously delighted with the performance but, we are back to league duties on Saturday and ive seen too many dire games this season so expecting the cup bubble to burst and back to normal against Hamilton.  Hope im o be wrong and this is the start of a great end of season run but im not holding my breath for that!

Well understandably the scores have mainly increased and maintaining the trend at the present time is vital. Nice to note that there has been an enthusiastic response. But let’s remain honest and not get too positive. If we can reach at least 75% of the Livi performance we are in with a shout 🤞

Look forward to another positive performance and outcome and await your scores and comments later 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK - I will drop down to 4 - as the cup is a one-off and we are a better team away from home. I will have to travel to Hamilton now to see for myself. Anybody care to carry on scoring (look at the criteria again) and join me in Weegieland on Tuesday.