Memory Lane for the Red'n Blacks & the Blues

tm4tj

Yes, I read this article on Facebook today. What an amazing player he was, one of the best the Highland League ever had. I remember a story that was going around after one game. It was against Dundee, and Tommy Gemmel was the player/manager then, and he tried to kick Tichy up and down the wing, as they were in direct opposition, and after the game was over, Gemmel was so impressed by his skills and bravery, that he tried to buy him! But Tichy was a one club man. Brilliant times in the Highland League. I was in school with his brother Lofty, that's how old I am! 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 2/16/2023 at 10:16 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Yes, I read this article on Facebook today. What an amazing player he was, one of the best the Highland League ever had. I remember a story that was going around after one game. It was against Dundee, and Tommy Gemmel was the player/manager then, and he tried to kick Tichy up and down the wing, as they were in direct opposition, and after the game was over, Gemmel was so impressed by his skills and bravery, that he tried to buy him! But Tichy was a one club man. Brilliant times in the Highland League. I was in school with his brother Lofty, that's how old I am! 😄

My favourite jags player   Everyone always talked about Caley’s Davie Johnstone who was outstanding. I always believe Tichy was right up there as well 

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

54 minutes ago, jagster said:

My favourite jags player   Everyone always talked about Caley’s Davie Johnstone who was outstanding. I always believe Tichy was right up there as well 

Chalk and cheese.  Titchy was a winger.  Davy Johnston was a compact, fast striker - now that I think about it, he had many similarities with Billy Mckay.

His telepathic partnership with Chic Allan was out of this world.

Mind you, Ian Stephen and Johnny Cowie were pretty good too  :wink:

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
spilling
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Chalk and cheese.  Titchy was a winger.  Davy Johnston was a compact, fast striker - now that I think about it, he had many similarities with Billy Mckay.

You have to make allowances for jagster he bought a new red & black hat and scarf today :lol:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Sorry didn’t mean same position or anything what I meant was tichy was incredibly talented as well. 

No need to say "sorry".  I wasn't disagreeing - just saying that it wasn't a straight comparison.

I never saw much of Titchy, but did see a lot of the Jags a few years earlier, when they had Tony Fraser on the right, Bobby McLean on the left, Chipper Stephen and Johnny Cowie in the middle... and broke all sorts of scoring records.

• Agree 2

I'm really glad to have lived through and witnessed the golden era of the Highland League, in my humble opinion, that was the 70's and 80's. I was a Jags supporter, and would go to all home games when I was a boy, my parents wouldn't allow me to go to away games out of Inverness. So, when the Jags were playing away, I used to go to Telford Street or Grant Street if they were playing that day instead, and in the 70's especially, Caley had a great team, Johnstone, Allen, Fyfe and Park to name a few,and Clach had some great players as well, Wizzy Dingwall, Thomson, Giles and Kennedy. Other strong teams at that time were Elgin City and Ross County, so it's no great surprise that the Highland League standard has been diminished since most of these clubs are now in the Scottish League. 

What a team the Jags had then, I can still remember how great that side was that won the titles in the early 70's. Reilly, R.Fraser, D'Arcy, Cumming, Bremner & Lazenby, T.Faser or Tichy Black, Stephen, Cowie, Duncan & Maclean. The 12th man usually being Peter Corbett, Alan Maclaren or John Morrison. Halcyon days, sadly missed.

• Agree 5

• tm4tj changed the title to Memory Lane for the Red'n Blacks & the Blues

This one is about the great Kevin MacDonald.

49884.jpg

This week's #InvernessFootballMemories recalls the visit of Leicester City Football Club to Telford Street 40 years ago to play Caley in a friendly as part of the deal which saw Kevin MacDonald transfer between the two clubs. The Leicester line-up that day included Gary Lineker and Alan Smith. Full Story:

Link to Am Baile Kevin MacDonald

Great article :clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

On 3/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, tm4tj said:

This one is about the great Kevin MacDonald.

This week's #InvernessFootballMemories recalls the visit of Leicester City Football Club to Telford Street 40 years ago to play Caley in a friendly as part of the deal which saw Kevin MacDonald transfer between the two clubs. The Leicester line-up that day included Gary Lineker and Alan Smith. Full Story:

Link to Am Baile Kevin MacDonald

Great article :clapoverhead::clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

Still the most successful player to come out of Inverness imho 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, old caley girl said:

Still the most successful player to come out of Inverness imho 

I might have agreed with you if he'd won a Scottish cap, like Ryan Christie.

Of course, we might argue that standards were higher back then!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, buckett said:

I might have agreed with you if he'd won a Scottish cap, like Ryan Christie.

Of course, we might argue that standards were higher back then!

Or Inverness's own Supermac, Ted Macdougal, Scottish Caps and a phenomenal goalscorer.

• Like 2

Am Baile

DESCRIPTION: In season 1982-83, Caledonian completed the remarkable achievement of winning the Highland League without losing a single game. They won 23 and drew 7 of their matches, equalling a record they themselves had set in 1913-14, when there were 9 teams in the league, and they won 9 and drew 7 of their games. Full Story

Caledonian FC - 1982-83 results and statistics

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:39 PM, tm4tj said:

Am Baile

DESCRIPTION: In season 1982-83, Caledonian completed the remarkable achievement of winning the Highland League without losing a single game. They won 23 and drew 7 of their matches, equalling a record they themselves had set in 1913-14, when there were 9 teams in the league, and they won 9 and drew 7 of their games. Full Story

Caledonian FC - 1982-83 results and statistics

Good to see a few local youngsters at the time in the up and coming ranks in this photo. 3 from the right front row is Ian MacInnes who would have been 16 when he scored in a pre season against Aberdeen at TS in the summer of 82 from recall with Bryan Gunn in goals. Very unlucky with injury. Combative yet skilful with a 90 minute engine in midfield, I played alongside him subsequently in the old Welfare league. He started off with Mikey Noble at Crown in the Street league and was a standout before going through the TS youth ranks. 100% a player who should have made it in the Highland league and beyond that didn't due to injury sadly.

Edited by Leaky Blinder