Accies Away Feb21st

tm4tj

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

Picking up on IHE’s comments, who’s the better left back, Harper or Delaney?

Delaney was getting MoM points for fun earlier in the season but faded a bit.

Harper looks better in a more advanced role.

I’d bring Delaney back for Saturday as hopefully his spell on the bench will have motivated him.

Or do we put Deas in as he’s the best of the lot despite being an excellent centre half.

What’s happened to Lewis Nicholson: is he injured?

Hopefully Samuels is fit enough to start in place of Mackay, but who do we play up front? It’s a big ask of Cairns but we’ve no other out and out striker available. 

For me, Delaney is the better left back, but loses his head too easily. I have never thought that Harper was a left back from the first time I saw him play, he is a midfielder all day long. We were certainly stronger with Deas there, but we lose his CB abilities then.

9 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Genuine question? Can anyone actually see Dodds sorting this out? That post match interview is deluded. 

He hasn't the coaching ability to turn this around. Most good coaches scout their opponents and set their teams up to play against them. Other teams do it against us, and are getting results from it. If he knows teams are going to sit in, or hit us on the break or close us down, he has to come up with tactics to counteract that. I've always said Dodds doesn't have a Plan A never mind a Plan B, when he needs to change things.

22 hours ago, Gringo said:

We've played Hamilton three times this season and have yet to score against them. We are, in fact, losing 6-0 on aggregate, so,with that in mind, this has a 3-0 ICT win written all over it. Go on, put a fiver on it :ponder:

Just like @Robert i'm insane too. Hope none of you took up my advice of putting a fiver on it as refunds are not available.

• Funny 3

I thought we were actually decent in spells last night. Easily better than the performance at the weekend though that's a pretty low bar. Henderson was seeing a lot of the ball down the right and he linked well with Carson who got much further forward to support him than he did on Saturday. MacKay on the other side was...okay but his touch often let him down as we've seen so often. Most of our early chances came from crosses or set pieces and there were some decent saves from Fulton in the Hamilton goal. Accies main threat going forward seemed to be our defending as we looked a bit of a shambles at the back giving the ball away a lot of the time and struggling with the physicality of the Accies forward line.

No real surprise that when the goal did come it arrived via poor defending from ourselves. A short corner was whipped in and O'Reilly rose unchallenged and sent his header into the net possibly via a bounce off the ground which took it away from Ridgers. Similarly, given our joy down the right side when we did take a chance it wasn't a massive shock to see it come from a cross into the box. Henderson (I think) sent a low ball in and Accies only partially cleared the ball to the edge of the box and Allardice strode onto it and coolly passed it into the net. A deserved equaliser.

Into the second half and Duffy missed what looked to be an easy chance when he headed wide from a corner and Mckay (Billy) played MacKay (Danny) in but he took a very heavy / awkward touch which looked like it came off his shin before it hit the post.

Then followed some real controversy as Shaw gave the ball away and Accies broke down the ICT right which led to a chance which looked destined to hit the net but for a "block" by Harper (I think) on the line. It looked at the time he had blocked the shot with at least one of his arms but inexplicably Colin Steven and the assistant referee gave nothing. I guess they were unsighted but we definitely got away with one there.

Not long after that Accies did take the lead when MacKay was chasing back and he clipped the Accies player in the box and sent him tumbling. Clear foul and I think a yellow was fair. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to take out the player I think it was a very tired attempt at a challenge. Regardless, Smith scored with ease from the spot and we were behind once more.

After that we seemed to lose our composure and Mckay went down in the box under a challenge but was booked for a dive. Seemed a bit harsh from where we were but things got even worse when he went down under another challenge in the middle of the pitch and was shown a second yellow presumably for kicking / lashing out or maybe just dissent. Again, I thought it might have been slightly harsh but that's probably with blue and red glasses on.

As he walked off Dodds was barracked by a large number of the ICT supporters in attendance. A half hearted thumbs up suggests he knows his time is almost done here.

• Thank You 3

1 minute ago, RiG said:

I thought we were actually decent in spells last night. Easily better than the performance at the weekend though that's a pretty low bar. Henderson was seeing a lot of the ball down the right and he linked well with Carson who got much further forward to support him than he did on Saturday. MacKay on the other side was...okay but his touch often let him down as we've seen so often. Most of our early chances came from crosses or set pieces and there were some decent saves from Fulton in the Hamilton goal. Accies main threat going forward seemed to be our defending as we looked a bit of a shambles at the back giving the ball away a lot of the time and struggling with the physicality of the Accies forward line.

No real surprise that when the goal did come it arrived via poor defending from ourselves. A short corner was whipped in and O'Reilly rose unchallenged and sent his header into the net possibly via a bounce off the ground which took it away from Ridgers. Similarly, given our joy down the right side when we did take a chance it wasn't a massive shock to see it come from a cross into the box. Henderson (I think) sent a low ball in and Accies only partially cleared the ball to the edge of the box and Allardice strode onto it and coolly passed it into the net. A deserved equaliser.

Into the second half and Duffy missed what looked to be an easy chance when he headed wide from a corner and Mckay (Billy) played MacKay (Danny) in but he took a very heavy / awkward touch which looked like it came off his shin before it hit the post.

Then followed some real controversy as Shaw gave the ball away and Accies broke down the ICT right which led to a chance which looked destined to hit the net but for a "block" by Harper (I think) on the line. It looked at the time he had blocked the shot with at least one of his arms but inexplicably Colin Steven and the assistant referee gave nothing. I guess they were unsighted but we definitely got away with one there.

Not long after that Accies did take the lead when MacKay was chasing back and he clipped the Accies player in the box and sent him tumbling. Clear foul and I think a yellow was fair. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to take out the player I think it was a very tired attempt at a challenge. Regardless, Smith scored with ease from the spot and we were behind once more.

After that we seemed to lose our composure and Mckay went down in the box under a challenge but was booked for a dive. Seemed a bit harsh from where we were but things got even worse when he went down under another challenge in the middle of the pitch and was shown a second yellow presumably for kicking / lashing out or maybe just dissent. Again, I thought it might have been slightly harsh but that's probably with blue and red glasses on.

As he walked off Dodds was barracked by a large number of the ICT supporters in attendance. A half hearted thumbs up suggests he knows his time is almost done here.

Interesting last paragraph. In his post match he suggested  it was only 'certain' fans unhappy. Came across as deluded. 

The end is nigh.......

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

He hasn't the coaching ability to turn this around. Most good coaches scout their opponents and set their teams up to play against them. Other teams do it against us, and are getting results from it. If he knows teams are going to sit in, or hit us on the break or close us down, he has to come up with tactics to counteract that. I've always said Dodds doesn't have a Plan A never mind a Plan B, when he needs to change things.

Absolutely spot on. He tried to replicate the Livi plan and that simply does not apply to Hamilton away. However if some players had applied a more deft touch then we could have left with a healthy win. But as the jaggie points out Dodds simply does not have the coaching brain. I do actually feel a bit sorry for him as he has had injuries galore and I would be livid at some players who he has retained the faith in. I do sense that there is a silent supporter factor fan wise and Dodds may think that he has the back up from above. But there would be widespread damnation if he stayed on after this season. His best bet is to get us out of the relegation potential and beat Killie. Then he can go with his head not touching the floor and leave the club to rebuild and recover.

RIG’s match report is spot on so I will add a rather blunt smileymometer !!

• Like 1

Rodger’s 😎😎😎 Did nowt wrong and helpless at both goals and had a relatively quiet night 

Carson 😎😎😎 3 smileys for bravery if not stupidity. I would have hooked him after 20 minutes. He was clearly ineffective in the second half and I hope there is no lasting damage. 

Harper 🙄🙄 Anne Robinson would quickly recognise him as being the weak link in the defence. He is a midfielder- Simples.

Duffy 😎😎😎 I would prefer to see him as a full back but he did alright last night 

Devine 😎😎😎😎 Deserved better 

Henderson 😎😎🙄 was lost without the fit Carson. BUT he was kept out wide whilst giving him a deeper and more central role would have been more effective 

Welsh 😎😎 always looked to as the playmaker but played more passes out wide like a crabesque Ray Wilkins

Allardice 😎😎😎😎My MOM again - perfect foil for a playmaker and worked his feckin socks off.

Shaw 🙄🙄 I would have hooked him and slapped him all the way down the tunnel- lily livered

Danny McKay ‼️ see comment for Shaw - wouldn’t get a game for Hibs Women

Billy McKay- surely he is only staying to surpass Wyness. Look so frustrated by the lack of vision of those around him. Was the sending off out of frustration as both decisions looked wrong.

And when you look at the bench what could we have done - Deas and Samuels are not 100% - Doran certainly could have replaced either Shaw or Danny - Delaney for Harper - and Hyde for Shaw.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Rodger’s 😎😎😎 Did nowt wrong and helpless at both goals and had a relatively quiet night 

Carson 😎😎😎 3 smileys for bravery if not stupidity. I would have hooked him after 20 minutes. He was clearly ineffective in the second half and I hope there is no lasting damage. 

Harper 🙄🙄 Anne Robinson would quickly recognise him as being the weak link in the defence. He is a midfielder- Simples.

Duffy 😎😎😎 I would prefer to see him as a full back but he did alright last night 

Devine 😎😎😎😎 Deserved better 

Henderson 😎😎🙄 was lost without the fit Carson. BUT he was kept out wide whilst giving him a deeper and more central role would have been more effective 

Welsh 😎😎 always looked to as the playmaker but played more passes out wide like a crabesque Ray Wilkins

Allardice 😎😎😎😎My MOM again - perfect foil for a playmaker and worked his feckin socks off.

Shaw 🙄🙄 I would have hooked him and slapped him all the way down the tunnel- lily livered

Danny McKay ‼️ see comment for Shaw - wouldn’t get a game for Hibs Women

Billy McKay- surely he is only staying to surpass Wyness. Look so frustrated by the lack of vision of those around him. Was the sending off out of frustration as both decisions looked wrong.

And when you look at the bench what could we have done - Deas and Samuels are not

100% - Doran certainly could have replaced either Shaw or Danny - Delaney for Harper - and Hyde for Shaw.

ICT used to be generally a good watch and you always felt that the players were capable of coming up with something when needed.

That seemed to disappear during our relegation season and it has never returned.

The last seven seasons have been by far the worst in our short history and there is no sign of change on or off the pitch.

This season is looking more and more like another write off and I can only pray something will change to turn things around.

6 hours ago, Gringo said:

Just like @Robert i'm insane too. Hope none of you took up my advice of putting a fiver on it as refunds are not available.

I hedged my bets, saved the fiver and just screwed up my NPL prediction instead - so lesson learned, listen to Yngwie, ignore Gringo 😉

Edited by CaleyCanary
  • Funny 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic