Dundee away Feb25th

tm4tj

ImageTen minutes after the break Inverness drew level when Harper's low drive took a big deflection off Sweeney to end up in the net. They all count Billy Dodds made a triple substitution after that bringing on Robbie Deas, Steven Boyd and Dan Mackay with Devine, Harper and Samuels going off. Ridgers denied Josh Mulligan as he shot from inside the box and then blocked the follow up with twenty minutes to go. Bowyer did his own triple sub: Triple sub for Dundee - Clampin, Hannant & McCowan for Marshall, Mulligan and McMullan. Shaw shot over and with five minutes remaining a McGhee header came back off the top of the bar and over. Cameron hit the bar as well with a looped header as Dundee pressed for a winner with Inverness defending desperately. Fortunately we saw out the game for a valuable point on the road.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

It’s not a bad result in isolation. The Hamilton games are the ones that seem to have put the (promotion) play-offs out of realistic reach.

I’d have taken a point at Dens when looking at the run of fixtures 10 days ago, but 0/6 against Hamilton has done for us. 

• Agree 2

A pretty fortunate point from where I was sitting. Started ok but usual train crash for the pen drained any confidence and the rest of first half was a real struggle. Second half was marginally better with a very fortunate deflection getting us back in the game. A frankly bizarre decision to remove Devine and Harper before the hour mark. Unless Harper was carrying a knock completely inexcusable. Mark Ridgers deserves credit for 2 or 3 excellent saves later on to deny the Dees all 3 points. 1 point up the road not moving the dial in a truly lamentable season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Looking increasingly likely that Dundee Utd will be in the Championship next season, and decreasingly likely that Liam Fox will be their manager much longer.

Sounds a great opportunity for a former united player to get in there...........

I’d have take the point before the game and it seems we got a break with the heavy deflection for the equaliser.

Like IHE, I’d be interested to hear how our players did individually.

I saw the comment about Harper so assume he did well in midfield: was he in an advanced role on the left (ie the position Mackay has been in)?

Dundee should have won that. Laughable offside(s), some good saves from Ridgers and bad misses saved us. We had some reasonable half chances ourselves but nothing compared to the Dees. Still, it was hilarious seeing the wee Ultra gimps celebrating their goal for about 3 minutes before twigging that it had been disallowed.

No one really stood out for us I'd say. Samuels was utterly anonymous for the time he was on the pitch and showed what a miss Mckay is when we don't have him available. There wasn't much creative spark in that side apart from maybe Henderson and he faded after the equaliser. Not sure how Shaw stayed on for so long. I feel like Doran coming on and playing as a 10 was a sub we should have made long before he did actually arrive. 

Overall we still looked disjointed for large parts of the game and bereft of confidence. It's hard not to look at the players and question if they are really playing for the manager any more. It doesn't seem like it to me. The chants towards Dodds cannot have gone unnoticed by the club. Surely it's time to put him out of his misery.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Comments on the performance, the tactics and player monitoring. How did Carson look, where did he play Harper and Delaney - what was Shaw like and did Samuels look sharp ?

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I’d have take the point before the game and it seems we got a break with the heavy deflection for the equaliser.

Like IHE, I’d be interested to hear how our players did individually.

I saw the comment about Harper so assume he did well in midfield: was he in an advanced role on the left (ie the position Mackay has been in)?

Delany played on the left side of defence with Harper in front. Shaw continued to play as a 10 behind Samuels. Shaw certainly put in a lot of running but struggled to create much of note. Samuels was a nonentity for most of the game not helped by us shellacking long balls in his general direction. Carson was fine defensively but offered less going forward than he did against Hamilton on Tuesday.

• Thank You 1

As others have said, Dundee United may well be joining us in the Championship next season. 

If not them, the others in the relegation scrap are likely to be hot favourites to bounce straight back. While not guaranteed, it would point to our hopes again resting of a play off position.

We have never had a better chance given the quality of the teams during the last I'd say 3  seasons to challenge at the top for automatic promotion but have just completely blown it.

Complete change urgently needed.

• Agree 5

12 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

His interviews have been like that for a while!

I'm counting down the days until he's off but tbh that can't come quickly enough! 

I've not listened to any of his thoughts and excuses all year. Same old, same old and no clues as to how he's going to fix the on field problems.

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic