RIP Eric

tm4tj

Just to let you all know that Eric Davidson (ictewd) passed away this morning 1st March 2023. He was admitted to the hospice on Friday and he said "at least I will get WiFi in there and will try and do team lines etc as it will give me something to do".

Unfortunately he was unable to manage anything and passed away this morning.

Eric was a keen follower of rugby in his younger days and would have been a regular at the Barrel Vault. Eric was not a prolific poster on here, but did a tremendous amount of work in the background. He was a quiet unassuming man and after joining BT he did some studying to make his way to being a precision tester at BT, and a good friend since the 70's and along with Iain (IBM) has been working behind the scenes to help keep the site stats ticking over. Typical of Eric, he was happy to work in the background whilst others would get the glory and went about his CTO business in a dilligent and professional manner. I will miss him greatly for his contributions on here, probably unnoticed by many. More importantly, he will missed by all who knew him.

Condolences to all friends and family, especially his wife Anne. x

• Like 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Well Said 7

• tm4tj pinned this topic

I did not know Eric, but ever since TM4TJ brought him and IBM on to help with the stats and other background tasks, it has been great. His input and effort getting us up to date, was immense even though he was unwell. It speaks volumes about someone's character when they offer to do this type of unsung work and are happy to stay in the background and just offer assistance without any fanfare. I am also absolutely blown away that in the midst of his illness, he was still thinking of doing updates from the hospice. 

My sincere gratitude goes to Eric for all he did, and my condolences go out to his family and friends in their sad loss. 🙏

• Like 2

In addition to what Don has said about Eric I got to know him when he started with BT and in the late 80’s and early 90’s worked with him. 

He was excellent at his job locating the cable faults and was always willing to lend a hand while we were doing the repairs often working long hours. With his great sense of humour we always had a good laugh and thoroughly enjoyed the work. 

We became good friends and met up at the football and stood in the west stand and were the early Section 94 before moving to the North Stand when it was built.

A good friend to many he will be sadly missed. 

• Like 1
  • Well Said 3

Haven’t been on here for a couple of years but had to login.

Sad news.

Called out on numerous occasions over the years for higher order transmission faults. Two of us To go to the affected telephone exchanges, usually in the middle of the night.

We would prove exchange equipment at each site by checking launch and receive light levels. Usually proved to a cable fault. Lightning, digging it up with jcb or one night around strontian some thieves were nicking spans of overhead copper cables. 2 cables present, 50 50 chance. They cut the fibre cable, no value but isolating a community. Knew then which one was worth cash.

Would report our finding to the control to be told the precision tester is on his way. Wasn’t just round Inverness, all over the highlands.

eric would arrive , do his magic on the fibre and get a distance measurement to the fault for openreach jointers to repair or replace the cable.

Very likeable colleague.
Rip Eric.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 2

Eric's notice is in the Courier but the date was not available at the time of input. However Anne has passed on this information.

Monday 13th March @ 3pm at W T Fraser & Sons Culduthel Road.

Full details will be included in Friday's Courier.

Great turn out of former work colleagues, friends and of course family. That in itself was testament to the esteem that Eric was held in by all who knew him and his unpretentious  personality. Also some lovely words spoken as a tribute to Eric the family man and a moving poem in his memory by family members.

Rest in Peace my friend, you will be missed by all.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 4

Good to hear that Donnie, although I knew all the colleagues that knew him over the years would have been there.

disappointed I didn’t make it myself, don’t head home from Tenerife till tomorrow.

had a few minutes reminiscing tonight with a beer in hand when I saw your post.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, tm4tj said:

Great turn out of former work colleagues, friends and of course family. That in itself was testament to the esteem that Eric was held in by all who knew him and his unpretentious  personality. Also some lovely words spoken as a tribute to Eric the family man and a moving poem in his memory by family members.

Rest in Peace my friend, you will be missed by all.

My parents were friends of Eric's who attended on Monday and read us the poem over the phone afterwards- many tears were shed. A lovely man, will be dearly missed.

Edited by Caleyjag
Wrong day
  • Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic