Killie Cup Tie 10thMarch

tm4tj

Inverness got the game underway but two minutes in and from an Armstrong corner the ball ended up in the net behind Ridgers, Vassell credited with the goal after a near post flick on. Disastrous start for the hosts. Billy Mckay forced Walker into a great save from a close range header as Inverness responded in he tenth minute. Sean Welsh skimmed the top of the bar with a header from a superb ball into the box from Jay Henderson. Inverness got the break they deserved though when a cross from the right was handled by Joe Wright. Billy Mckay hit the spot kick down the middle as Walker dived to his left, the ball going in off his feet and it was game on.  Henderson was played through on goal but his shot was blocked by the now overworked Sam Walker. Carson was harshly booked for bringing Armstrong down as Killie sprung out of defence. Doidge made a hash of a half chance when he found the ball at his feet in he six yard box, but he ran it out of play. Robbie Deas headed over from a corner as Inverness continued to press. Liam Polworth came off second best in a challenge with Deas just before the interval and his day was over.

HALF TIME 1-1

Second half

Three minutes into the second half Henderson did well to control the ball and get his shot away but it cannoned back off the post. Moments later, with he snow falling; he did it again. Sean Welsh picked the ball up thirty yards from goal. He stepped forward and rifled a low shot into the bottom corner from over twenty-five yards. What a strike. We could have gone further ahead, twice. Once when Shaw made space for himself to get a great delivery in but Welsh was just short of connecting with it in the six yard box. Secondly, Mckay did well to wriggle his way into the box but he was halted a couple of times before the defence cleared. Ridgers flapped at a ball into the box and had to snatch at he ball as it bounced towards the line. A timely snatch if ever I saw one. Austin Samuels almost grabbed a third with two minutes left when running through on goal but his low shot was saved by Walker. Aaron Doran came on as four minutes of added time was shown by the officials. Inverness saw out the game on top and a thoroughly deserved trip to Hampden is now a reality.

FULL TIME 2-1

• Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 1

Yes...... I must make my predictions (in memory of Mystic Meg) more often. Fantastic game. Well done boys. Well done Billy Dodds and coaching staff. Well done fans for your constant singing and support throughout the game. I can admit now that I couldn't face the cold tonight and watched from my armchair.....wish I had gone now. ICT are TITANIUM.

• Agree 4

Brilliant win. Apart from first few minutes we dominated first half.  Killie came back into it a bit after they went 2-1 down, but there were not too many scary moments.  Some fantastic performances, Allardice, Henderson, for me were outstanding. But, everyone played their part.  I hope we draw the winners between Ayr and Falkirk in the semi.  That way I can see myself with 2 Hampden trips this spring.  Well done to everyone concerned in tonight's great performance.

• Agree 5

I think the 800 Killie fans will be going home very disappointed - their team came out all guns blazing for the first 5 minutes, then offered next to nothing. We were really good but they were poor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

First game in ages. What craic!! Was in bus with the Kilmarnock fans - nice bunch - they couldn’t believe how crap their team was. They had absolutely nothing - we could have won that 3/4- 1 if we’d taken all our chances. Billy McKay is an absolute god 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I’m struggling to remember us starting a match so badly, in that first 5 minutes we couldn’t do anything right. Got better since then.

Tactics!! It was important to make the team looking for their second semi final of the season look like world beaters and help their Manager believe his fantasy about winning the cup. You may be struggling to remember us starting a match so badly but you will certainly remember how poor we were against Queens Park yet the history books will show we beat them 3-0 on our way to the Semis. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Great result! Hopefully we can kick on in the league for a while, squad nearly back to full strength and no more cup antics for a month or so.

Tonight's game showed exactly why we are where we are in the league - too wasteful in front of goal, very flaky at the back when it comes to set pieces/corners and at times far too careless with possession of the ball.

Sort that out and we'll walk the league.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Satan said:

Great result! Hopefully we can kick on in the league for a while, squad nearly back to full strength and no more cup antics for a month or so.

Tonight's game showed exactly why we are where we are in the league - too wasteful in front of goal, very flaky at the back when it comes to set pieces/corners and at times far too careless with possession of the ball.

Sort that out and we'll walk the league.

We weren't wasteful in front of goal and we were so flaky that Kilmarnock could not equalise. That narrative does not match tonight's game. 😂😂

• Thoughtful 1

2 minutes ago, jed5697 said:

We weren't wasteful in front of goal and we were so flaky that Kilmarnock could not equalise. That narrative does not match tonight's game. 😂😂

Kilmarnock were, clueless, hopeless and generally 5hite. Apart from a bit of physicality and long ball tactics they had nothing to offer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Supporting ICT has not been easy this season, but tonight was what it is all about.  Terrific all round performance and great support from the fans. After giving Kilmarnock  a goal start we pressured them for 90 minutes and forced them into errors.  We then played some very good passing football and had we shown the same clinical finishing as we did against Livi, we could have won this by 3 or 4 clear goals.  We now need to show that level of performance in the league.  There are better teams than Kilmarnock above us in the Championship.

• Agree 8

9 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Jim Calder holds the record for collecting a shot at least a metre over the line in a Killie Scottish Cup tie and carrying on as if it was not a goal. However Mark looked pretty confident when it looked like he had dropped it maybe 6 inches over the line. 

Ridgers was guilty of a couple of handling errors tonight, but that effort was not over the line and he was absolutely right to carry on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Well that was unexpected and also the best feeling from a victory I've had in many a long day.

After the really bad start, I thought here we go again, having to come from behind to win the game, but we gradually took control of the game and we ended up worthy winners. Good performances from all the boys, but a special mention to our own Durecell Bunny, Billy Mckay he never stops running the channels, closing the back four down and chipping in with a pressure penalty.

Anything is possible now, so let's sit back and enjoy the other semi's and see what unfolds, and hopefully take this form into our remaining league games, let's pretend that we're playing Premier clubs in all our remaining games. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

I was optimistic (or mad) before the game, but feared the worst after that early goal. But for the last 85 minutes we were easily the better team. I was worried that not taking our chances in the first half might come back to haunt us, but fortunately not. If we’d been more clinical in the second half it would have been even more comfortable. 
It felt like Kilmarnock thought they could sit on 1-0 (MacInnes must be one of the most negative managers out there, I’m glad I don’t have to watch that every week) and seemed short on ideas once they fell behind. I thought we harried them really well and didn’t let them settle on the ball. 
if we could play like this every week, we’d be a pretty good bet for the title - here’s hoping this reboots our league form. 

• Agree 7

3 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Inverness got the game underway but two minutes in and from an Armstrong corner the ball ended up in the net behind Ridgers, Vassell credited with the goal after a near post flick on. Disastrous start for the hosts. Billy Mckay forced Walker into a great save from a close range header as Inverness responded in he tenth minute. Sean Welsh skimmed the top of the bar with a header from a superb ball into the box from Jay Henderson. Inverness got the break they deserved though when a cross from the right was handled by Joe Wright. Billy Mckay hit the spot kick down the middle as Walker dived to his left, the ball going in off his feet and it was game on.  Henderson was played through on goal but his shot was blocked by the now overworked Sam Walker. Carson was harshly booked for bringing Armstrong down as Killie sprung out of defence. Doidge made a hash of a half chance when he found the ball at his feet in he six yard box, but he ran it out of play. Robbie Deas headed over from a corner as Inverness continued to press. Liam Polworth came off second best in a challenge with Deas just before the interval and his day was over.

HALF TIME 1-1

Agree with all of that (as usual) other than Carson’s booking. He deserved it and his annoyance at it was as he knew he’d messed up rather than being upset with a harsh award. 

• Sad 1

• Yngwie locked and unpinned this topic