Queens Park (A) 18th March

tm4tj

I wasn't at this game, and as I've said before, I don't attend away matches due to health issues, but I have been at every home match this season and I have noticed that on many occasions we, or our opponents are a different team in the second half. Is this down to our opponents manager noticing that things aren't working for his team, and that he has to change tactics to get a result, and our manager not realising that his opposite number may change tactics to swing the game in his teams favour and Dodds not being aware that things will change, or does he not have the ability to alter things?

Having watched all the home games, I have come to the conclusion a long time ago, that unfortunately I don't believe that Billy Dodds has the tactical awareness to counteract the changes in tactics his opposite number makes. His substitutes are more than often like for like, the formation rarely changes, and when we are chasing the game our default position is the good old Hoofball, which rarely, if ever, results in a goal.

If Dodds sees that the team weren't doing what he wanted in the match, why doesn't he scream at them and get them to stop what they're doing? He's the coach!, he needs to get them to play the way he wants and change tactics and personnel to achieve the result. So Plan A wasn't working, switch to Plan B, oh, I forgot, there is no Plan B.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

39 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I wasn't at this game, and as I've said before, I don't attend away matches due to health issues, but I have been at every home match this season and I have noticed that on many occasions we, or our opponents are a different team in the second half. Is this down to our opponents manager noticing that things aren't working for his team, and that he has to change tactics to get a result, and our manager not realising that his opposite number may change tactics to swing the game in his teams favour and Dodds not being aware that things will change, or does he not have the ability to alter things?

Having watched all the home games, I have come to the conclusion a long time ago, that unfortunately I don't believe that Billy Dodds has the tactical awareness to counteract the changes in tactics his opposite number makes. His substitutes are more than often like for like, the formation rarely changes, and when we are chasing the game our default position is the good old Hoofball, which rarely, if ever, results in a goal.

If Dodds sees that the team weren't doing what he wanted in the match, why doesn't he scream at them and get them to stop what they're doing? He's the coach!, he needs to get them to play the way he wants and change tactics and personnel to achieve the result. So Plan A wasn't working, switch to Plan B, oh, I forgot, there is no Plan B.

I was there and that's pretty much spot on! He compounded matters by taking Allardice off and the midfield fell apart 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I was there and that's pretty much spot on! He compounded matters by taking Allardice off and the midfield fell apart 

Wow! That was a strange decision, especially as Welsh was already missing from the midfield. I always believe that if you win the midfield, you have a great chance to win the game, and our midfield without Welsh and Allardice would be easy to over run.

1 hour ago, STFU said:

Watching the club's pet podcaster losing his sh*t and challenging everyone who dared disagree with him to a fight was very amusing.

Yeah it was good laugh last night and good to see Twitter Buzzing with some friendly ICT chat. We go again next week 

How did we line up?

Duffy and Harper as full backs, Carson alongside Allardice in midfield, and Shaw and Henderson wide with Mackay in the no 10 role?

Edited by Robert

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Queens Park 29 16 6 7 58 38 54
2. Dundee 28 13 8 7 44 31 47
3. Ayr United 28 13 7 8 52 35 46
4. Partick Thistle 29 13 6 10 49 39 45
5. Morton 29 11 10 8 41 35 43
6. Raith Rovers 28 10 8 10 39 37 38
7. Inverness CT 28 9 9 10 39 41 36
8. Cove Rangers 29 6 8 15 34 62 26
9. Arbroath 28 4 13 11 25 41 25
10. Hamilton Ac. 28 6 7 15 25 47 25

Our remaining Championship fixtures. I'm afraid it will take a miracle to make the play-offs.

24th Mar  19:45 - PARTICK THISTLE (H)
01st April 15:00 - MORTON (A) 
08th April 15:00 - RAITH ROVERS (H)
11th April 19:45 - ARBROATH (H)
15th April 15:00 - COVE RANGERS (A)
18th April 19:45 - HAMILTON (A)
22nd April15:00 - DUNDEE (H)
05th May  19:45 - AYR UNITED (H)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RedCard said:

Yeah it was good laugh last night and good to see Twitter Buzzing with some friendly ICT chat. We go again next week 

Nobody's falling for the "I was having a laugh" patter.  You made a **** of yourself and everyone now knows, without doubt, that you're nothing more than a club lackey.

• Agree 1

Haha no worries! Yeah I’ve had better Sat nights but I don’t give a bollocks what folk think. I’ve got my opinions and you’ve got yours. If you want it make it personal fire away but I’m not taking the bait. Enjoy your day 👍

1 hour ago, Robert said:

How did we line up?

Duffy and Harper as full backs, Carson alongside Allardice in midfield, and Shaw and Henderson wide with Mackay in the no 10 role?

Duffy and Harper were the full backs. Carson was in the middle with Allardice. Henderson and MacKay were the wide men. Shaw played as a ten. 

In terms of our league season, Friday night is a must win game.

Three points and we move within six of Partick in fourth with a game in hand, within four of Morton in fifth and ahead of Raith.

That leaves the play offs as a possibility, albeit we remain outsiders to sneak fourth, but it keeps the league season alive.

Lose and we’ve just the cup to focus on.

It worries me that, if we beat Falkirk, we have a 29 day break if we are not in the play offs so we risk not being match fit for a game against one of the Old Firm.

I want us to make the final, but I also want us to make a positive impression, and having some play off games will help keep the squad match fit.

If ever a winning run is needed, it is now. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Robert said:

In terms of our league season, Friday night is a must win game.

How many  times have we said that recently...and failed? It's worrying.

Now, I know this may sound awful but....I'd rather Falkirk take the humiliation in the final rather than us. Taking on one of 'them' with no match practice / fitness doesn't bare thinking about in my view. Yes, the money for the making the final will be much needed but...at what cost to reputation?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Now, I know this may sound awful but....I'd rather Falkirk take the humiliation in the final rather than us. Taking on one of 'them' with no match practice / fitness doesn't bare thinking about in my view. Yes, the money for the making the final will be much needed but...at what cost to reputation?

We need the money! End off. 

And the build up to the final is fun. Losing to Falkirk would be disastrous. Also rather harsh on the players denying them an appearance in the final? 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

Playing Devils Advocate...would it be harsh on the players?

Why have they been able to raise their game for cup matches, but delivered mostly dross in the league?

Cup "glory" will deliver a one off, relatively small, pay day in comparison to promotion and it will barely register in the black hole that is £2 Million of debt (not counting what may have been lost in addition to that since May 2022).  It certainly doesn't equate to a good return on investment!

With that in mind it could be argued that the players have failed the club, so are deserving of nothing.

In saying that, and even though I am utterly disillusioned with the club right now, I still want us to make the final as the fans deserve it for having to put up with the soul destroying league performances (especially at home) over the past 2 seasons.

Edited by STFU
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gringo said:

I hear what you're saying, I was just talking about this with my son. Although it would be great to see this thrilling Celtic team in the flesh, I can just imagine what they could do to us if we make the final and haven't had a competitive game for some time. Although there are always cup upsets, I fear it could be quite embarrassing if they are firing on all cylinders with their huge quality squad.

Being an older supporter, like a lot of fans from our Highland League days, we would support our local team, in my case Inverness Thistle, and also had a 'big' team, which for me was Celtic, but anytime the Jaggies played Celtic it was always the Jags I would support, and it's the same today, when Celtic play ICT, there it's only Inverness that I want to win. So you could say that a Celtic v ICT final would be a dream come true for me, and it will be a great occasion if it happens, but I just fear that looking at the current form of Celtic and ourselves, I don't want it to become an embarrassing statistic in the history of the Scottish Cup and tarnish our competition reputation. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I hear what you're saying, I was just talking about this with my son. Although it would be great to see this thrilling Celtic team in the flesh, I can just imagine what they could do to us if we make the final and haven't had a competitive game for some time. Although there are always cup upsets, I fear it could be quite embarrassing if they are firing on all cylinders with their huge quality squad.

Being an older supporter, like a lot of fans from our Highland League days, we would support our local team, in my case Inverness Thistle, and also had a 'big' team, which for me was Celtic, but anytime the Jaggies played Celtic it was always the Jags I would support, and it's the same today, when Celtic play ICT, there it's only Inverness that I want to win. So you could say that a Celtic v ICT final would be a dream come true for me, and it will be a great occasion if it happens, but I just fear that looking at the current form of Celtic and ourselves, I don't want it to become an embarrassing statistic in the history of the Scottish Cup and tarnish our competition reputation. 

I couldn't disagree more!  This team is certainly not as good as the winning 2015 side and to get to the final would be a huge achievement. After our lucky reprieve, we have had 2 very good wins against Premiership sides and beating Falkirk would also be a great achievement as this time, all the pressure will be on us.  Just getting to the final in itself would be another proud statistic in our history in the Scottish Cup.  OK, so if we get there, the chances are we will get well and truly gubbed, but frankly, I couldn't care less.  Obviously I would want more than anything for us to win, but I wouldn't expect us to.  I would expect the team to give 100% effort, but if they do that and get hammered 10-0, so be it.   I would still be cheering them to the end and clapping them as they receive their runners up medals.  Far from being embarrassed, sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due and I would feel privileged to see a very good side set a record, and proud that our little team reached yet another national final.  The scoreline would be far less important than the fact that we were there!  The additional income would also be a much needed boost to the club's coffers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 3
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

I couldn't disagree more!  This team is certainly not as good as the winning 2015 side and to get to the final would be a huge achievement. After our lucky reprieve, we have had 2 very good wins against Premiership sides and beating Falkirk would also be a great achievement as this time, all the pressure will be on us.  Just getting to the final in itself would be another proud statistic in our history in the Scottish Cup.  OK, so if we get there, the chances are we will get well and truly gubbed, but frankly, I couldn't care less.  Obviously I would want more than anything for us to win, but I wouldn't expect us to.  I would expect the team to give 100% effort, but if they do that and get hammered 10-0, so be it.   I would still be cheering them to the end and clapping them as they receive their runners up medals.  Far from being embarrassed, sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due and I would feel privileged to see a very good side set a record, and proud that our little team reached yet another national final.  The scoreline would be far less important than the fact that we were there!  The additional income would also be a much needed boost to the club's coffers.

Well said DD  What is wrong with people....

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1
  • Facepalm 1

Are we turning into a load of fainthearts? It’s ICT and the big cup ffs. I’ve already seen Celtic “in the flesh” rip Hibs apart this season, 4-0 at that place that the sun shines on. Who cares? Bring it on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

I think that we have beaten Celtic before in the Scottish Cup ?? We were huge underdogs at Livingston and that turned out to be a quite positive experience. Falkirk will be difficult and may be strange to be at Hampden following the favourites. And there is doubt as to who we play in the final but how can anyone want to miss that ?!! As for allegiances I concur with the old fool from the hill. My upper arm got pretty feckin itchy at times but my heart pumped Invernessian blood 👍

4 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Are we turning into a load of fainthearts? It’s ICT and the big cup ffs. I’ve already seen Celtic “in the flesh” rip Hibs apart this season, 4-0 at that place that the sun shines on. Who cares? Bring it on.

Personally, I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves

Well, well,

Here we are again, we have the arrogance and pretence to think we (ICT), are a team of stature, reputation and ability to poo-poo and belittle Falkirk as a Micky Mouse outfit that will be washed aside on to our rightful position against the mighty Celtic in the final. Our only concern is will it by 8, 10 or more goals against us in the final. No matter we will cheer our boys on irrespective of potential Darvel like records being made and all have a great day out!

It’s a Scottish fault fine characteristic failure which is often sorely exposed in sport with football being the biggest exponent of this “wha’s like us” behaviour. 

I don’t open or question whether this miss led bravado is right or wrong, or what other nations really think of us, because I truly believe it is beyond us to change, but forgive me if I don’t join in this way of thinking.

Falkirk, in just about every facet or aspect of their club, be it tradition, fan base, stadium, financial stability and potential are years ahead of ICT. The fact they are currently in a league below us is neither here or there, having watched ICT this season, only the happy clappy would say our manager and players are better than Falkirk’s.  I’ll go further to say our lot would struggle to be in Falkirk's league position if we were in that league. 

Anyway, before we start worrying about getting hammered by Celtic in the final let’s give some respect to Falkirk. This will on the day be tough match in my opinion and low behold the consequences to the loosing team! 

Edited by Big cherly

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

Personally, I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves

I'm not getting ahead of anybody and I'm usually the first to call it out when somebody does. But the whole discussion arose because it's been suggested that we'd be better losing to Falkirk so it's hypothetical but justified.

29 minutes ago, Big cherly said:

Well, well,

Here we are again, we have the arrogance and pretence to think we (ICT), are a team of stature, reputation and ability to poo-poo and belittle Falkirk as a Micky Mouse outfit that will be washed aside on to our rightful position against the mighty Celtic in the final. Our only concern is will it by 8, 10 or more goals against us in the final. No matter we will cheer our boys on irrespective of potential Darvel like records being made and all have a great day out!

It’s a Scottish fault fine characteristic failure which is often sorely exposed in sport with football being the biggest exponent of this “wha’s like us” behaviour. 

I don’t open or question whether this miss led bravado is right or wrong, or what other nations really think of us, because I truly believe it is beyond us to change, but forgive me if I don’t join in this way of thinking.

Falkirk, in just about every facet or aspect of their club, be it tradition, fan base, stadium, financial stability and potential are years ahead of ICT. The fact they are currently in a league below us is neither here or there, having watched ICT this season, only the happy clappy would say our manager and players are better than Falkirk’s.  I’ll go further to say our lot would struggle to be in Falkirk's league position if we were in that league. 

Anyway, before we start worrying about getting hammered by Celtic in the final let’s give some respect to Falkirk. This will on the day be tough match in my opinion and low behold the consequences to the loosing team! 

I realise your comments are not directed specifically at me but:
If you think it's only a Scottish problem you're just displaying the Scottish cringe. Just recently England were plotting the route to the WC Final and not so recently the women's team were doing the same even more blatantly before being destroyed by the Dutch 3-0 in the semi. I'm sure most of the larger nations do likewise.
You're right not to question what other nations think of us, because we're a small nation and hardly anybody thinks of us at all.

Edited by TheMantis

In many ways it feels like fans have disconnected from the club. At the end of the day it’s a case of keeping the faith and literally being a diehard. I want ICT to win every game that they play in irrespective of the opposition or where they are playing. I would be at every game if I could be. It feels like diehards are being criticised for their allegiance. You can be justly critical, get rid of your anger and frustration and move on - just like you should with life in feckin general. 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

I set this debate off by stating my worry that if we don’t get our act together in the league and IF we beat Falkirk, we will have 29 days between matches, and therefore worried about the outcome.

I also said I want us to win the semi, but I’m certainly not getting ahead of myself or seeing us as something we are not. I just want league and cup success, as we all do, but also recognise our position at present. We need to play every game the way we played Livingston and Kilmarnock or our season will peter out tamely.  

• Well Said 4

• tm4tj unpinned this topic