Poll - Dodds contract extension

Yngwie

Manager contract extension  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Dodds a contract extension?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on league and cup outcomes

This poll is closed to new votes

The problem with Dodds is that we have had mid season slumps this season and last which have potentially cost us the Championship. While injuries have played a part this season, Dodds was culpable on both occasions by not altering tactics or team selections until it was too late (for example the home win  against Arbroath last season which then kick started our run to the play offs). 

I simply don't believe he can change things tactically when needed and that has cost us big time. We do need fresh blood at the club and Kellagher and Wilson need to go as well 

• Agree 2

Got to judge any manager over entire season. Right now in cup semi and our league position you'd have to say he is lately doing okay. He didn't lie about injuries but agree he's not quick to implement changes . What were our expectations with our squad and budget-both mid range compared to a few of the opposition. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be a bit happier if I thought he could retain most of the squad. If by some miracle he got Deas and Allardice to sign that would probably swing it for me. I imagine the rest of the spine e.g. Devine will not be getting better offers from other clubs and Welsh has another year. Tactically I don't think Dodds is any worse than many other managers in our league and certainly no worse than McGlynn as we saw on Saturday.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

I'd be a bit happier if I thought he could retain most of the squad. If by some miracle he got Deas and Allardice to sign that would probably swing it for me. I imagine the rest of the spine e.g. Devine will not be getting better offers from other clubs and Welsh has another year. Tactically I don't think Dodds is any worse than many other managers in our league and certainly no worse than McGlynn as we saw on Saturday.

I agree, we have some key players out of contract who we would ideally keep. If not, recruitment is key.

I make it one defeat in 12 since the Hamilton double defeat, with 9 wins and 2 draws, so we have done better since the injury situation eased and the likes of Deas and Allardice returned. Just how we’d have done had we had fewer injuries we will never know.

For me, the cup run has been great and I’m relishing the final, but our most important game is on Friday against Ayr. It is simple: we must win it.

Regarding Dodds, his record in 2023 justifies an extension in my opinion. We do seem to have a strong team spirit and a never say die attitude, which is great to see.

If we did make a change, who would actually want to take the job?

• Agree 3

There is absolutely no chance Deas is with us next season. Not that Dodds can do much about that. I'd expect Allardice to be away as well but perhaps that is less clear cut.

I felt we didn’t expect to have Deas this season which is why we brought Delaney in. Dodds actually called Delaney a “young Deas” despite there only being a year or two between them.

I’d be delighted if Allardice stays. 

6 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

3 games? Our form in 2023 is superb. We are in a final, on the brink of a play-off spot. 

Great short sighted viewing, what about the form in our other 32 games, including successive mid season collapses?

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

. Tactically I don't think Dodds is any worse than many other managers in our league and certainly no worse than McGlynn as we saw on Saturday.

Point of note, McGlynn isn't in this league for good reason but its a pretty low bar to use as a standard given he has a career of being mediocre and achieving nothing noteworthy with any team.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Point of note, McGlynn isn't in this league for good reason but its a pretty low bar to use as a standard given he has a career of being mediocre and achieving nothing noteworthy with any team.

Noted 😂

I've not been on of his biggest fans this season, especially during our wretched mid season run but even I know/understand that it would be harsh not to offer a new contract on the back of the cup success and upturn in form so let's hope we get the desired result on Friday because I truly believe that is what our recent form deserves :ictscarf:

I also trust him in the transfer market to find more gems such as Nathan Shaw, he did talk on viaplay (the interview is on our FB page fwiw) about potentially getting £1m for reaching the final and did tell the presenter that he hopes to get some of that windfall for new contract offers and/or transfers.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

I've not been on of his biggest fans this season, especially during our wretched mid season run but even I know/understand that it would be harsh not to offer a new contract on the back of the cup success and upturn in form so let's hope we get the desired result on Friday because I truly believe that is what our recent form deserves :ictscarf:

I also trust him in the transfer market to find more gems such as Nathan Shaw, he did talk on viaplay (the interview is on our FB page fwiw) about potentially getting £1m for reaching the final and did tell the presenter that he hopes to get some of that windfall for new contract offers and/or transfers.

Have you considered a name change?  Maybe something like FlipFlop?

Also, the last published accounts show nearly £2 Million of debt.  Even if our cup run does net us £1 Million, then the manager is likely to see very little of it.

Edited by STFU
  • angry 1

8 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

3 games? Our form in 2023 is superb. We are in a final, on the brink of a play-off spot. 

I was clearly using hyperbole.

How come we're totally ignoring the majority of the season when judging managerial performance?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, STFU said:

Have you considered a name change?  Maybe something like FlipFlop?

Also, the last published accounts show nearly £2 Million of debt.  Even if our cup run does net us £1 Million, then the manager is likely to see very little of it.

I'm not even going to answer the question I've bolded above because you are just fishing for a reaction, well I will tell you now, you ain't getting one so just pipe down!

• Well Said 1

8 hours ago, STFU said:

Least that's half the debt gone and when we win the SC with our fine manager at the helm, that £3m minimum from our Euro tour plus the battery farm project spearheaded by our high integrity board, we will almost overnight become the 'ballers' of Scottish football.

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, STFU said:

How come we're totally ignoring the majority of the season when judging managerial performance?

Because it's where you are at the end of the season that really counts?

I'm no fan, but not to offer an extension to a man who has taken us to the cup final - albeit after being knocked out! - and very close to the playoffs would be a bit churlish.  We're not Chelsea or Spurs :lol:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Because it's where you are at the end of the season that really counts?

I'm no fan, but not to offer an extension to a man who has taken us to the cup final - albeit after being knocked out! - and very close to the playoffs would be a bit churlish.  We're not Chelsea or Spurs :lol:

That's one vote for mediocrity...anyone else?

12 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I'm not even going to answer the question I've bolded above because you are just fishing for a reaction, well I will tell you now, you ain't getting one so just pipe down!

That's me telt 😂

• Funny 1

43 minutes ago, STFU said:

That's one vote for mediocrity...anyone else?

Rather than the knee-jerk reaction of sacking the manager, it might be more useful to try to see what the reason is - if any - for two consecutive mid-season slumps.

But just you carry on ranting at the mirror.

• Well Said 2
  • Confused 1

Hardly knee jerk or sacking. It would he non contract renewal based on 2 seasons or inconsistent and at times rudderless performances. If giving someone the full duration of a 2 year contract before parting ways is seen as reactionary then how long and on what metric do you let managers continue?

Well TBH I am undecided. I wholly concede that injuries have significantly affected our season but some of the tactics and decisions made during games were baffling and added to the poor performances. I also read that Dodds is going to loosen the training schedules if we make the play offs. Surely we did'nt train gungho last season ??!! There was also a part of the season that many players looked cheesed off BUT the "togetherness" feeling certainly does appear high at the present time. The beef with Ridgers did not help either. BUT you learn from your mistakes and this season simply has to have been a massive learning curve for Dodds. I would offer a season long contract with a clause to prolong. Finances would wholly support that. And Dodds has been tarnished with the same brush as others above him and that does look unfair. The result on Friday may well still have an influence but all I care about is beating Ayr and the achievements of Play Offs and the BIGGEST ever game in our history cant be ignored. Those achievements are not gained by fools.

• Agree 3