Poll - Dodds contract extension

Yngwie

Manager contract extension  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Dodds a contract extension?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on league and cup outcomes

This poll is closed to new votes

Not surprised that they gave him a deal ( the cup run saved his job), but two years!!! We will be in the same position of not being able to afford to sack him, if we are struggling by Christmas. 

Let's hope he goes on a tactics course before next season, and recruits the correct players to play Hoofball, although I hope that that style of football is done with, most of what was on show last season was brutal.

• Like 2
  • Well Said 1

Not surprised by this decision, Easy option really, Continuity I suppose is the key, no hunting for manager/staff and the back room will no doubt stay the same.

Wonder If Mark Ridgers is ok with this?😄

Anyway i'll be in the North stand supporting the team and hoping Dodds sorts out this shyte hoofball tactic.

• Agree 5
  • Well Said 1

1 hour ago, mazza20 said:

2 years will make it too expensive to sack him at Xmas if we have another mid season meltdown...

Not necessarily, it depends on the terms of the contract. 

• Well Said 1

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Not necessarily, it depends on the terms of the contract. 

Vital that there is some kind of 'performance related' clause in there. I am concerned that we will be mid to bottom half (again) with Dodds's tactics and hoofball. Given the cost of living and football slipping down the priority list, I will see what season ticket cost is before condider renewing or not. The cup final story was a positive in a woeful league season. 

think a squad built on £3.50 and a packet of crisps has done remarkably well. Play off last year, few points off second spot this year and a cup final…plus getting through the group stages. He hasn’t been able to have a settled squad over the two years but has remarkably got them to within touching distance. Yes it’s brutal to watch when half the squad were missing but there were glimpses of what could be done with the right players. They have to take risks in the injured/unheard off player but they seem to have a decent grasp - Allardice, Duffy, Deas, Shaw - who had heard of them before? Hopefully few more of the young lads goals a step. Need an older warhorse on there and a few more rough diamonds and I think we’ve got the making of a decent team. 

That is absolute nonsense and perhaps is a perfect example of the acceptance of the rhetoric from above regarding player budget/size/expense. This season has seen one of the biggest and most expensive ICT squads in its 29 year history. And we’re in the Championship. The fact that you( and others) cannot see this is strange to say the least. (Perhaps the fact that wage spend is now not included in the annual accounts may have been a clue.).

I know it won't please everybody but we've got to be realistic. Dodds is happy to stay and he's no really that bad. Better the devil you know!

Getting somebody new in is risky and probably costly. As mentioned before, Dodds knows the squad, knows what's needed to improve it and I think is a safe bet.

There seems to be an expectancy among some supporters that we should be a Premiership team because we once were. We are in fact a Championship team - that is our level - and the occasional foray into the Premiership is not out of the question, although to stay in the top league we would really need a generous benefactor.

Get behind Dodds and who knows what'll happen!

• Well Said 4

43 minutes ago, razor said:

think a squad built on £3.50 and a packet of crisps has done remarkably well. Play off last year, few points off second spot this year and a cup final…plus getting through the group stages. He hasn’t been able to have a settled squad over the two years but has remarkably got them to within touching distance. Yes it’s brutal to watch when half the squad were missing but there were glimpses of what could be done with the right players. They have to take risks in the injured/unheard off player but they seem to have a decent grasp - Allardice, Duffy, Deas, Shaw - who had heard of them before? Hopefully few more of the young lads goals a step. Need an older warhorse on there and a few more rough diamonds and I think we’ve got the making of a decent team. 

That is absolute nonsense and perhaps is a perfect example of the acceptance of the rhetoric from above regarding player budget/size/expense. This season has seen one of the biggest and most expensive ICT squads in its 29 year history. And we’re in the Championship. The fact that you( and others) cannot see this is strange to say the least. (Perhaps the fact that wage spend is now not included in the annual accounts may have been a clue.).

Apologies for having an opinion. If it's one of the most expensive squads ever why was the majority of games so bad? I need your high level of intellect to explain that to me Sir 🤪

Edited by Duke of Inverness
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, buckett said:

I know it won't please everybody but we've got to be realistic. Dodds is happy to stay and he's no really that bad. Better the devil you know!

Getting somebody new in is risky and probably costly. As mentioned before, Dodds knows the squad, knows what's needed to improve it and I think is a safe bet.

There seems to be an expectancy among some supporters that we should be a Premiership team because we once were. We are in fact a Championship team - that is our level - and the occasional foray into the Premiership is not out of the question, although to stay in the top league we would really need a generous benefactor.

Get behind Dodds and who knows what'll happen!

First point - does he though? We've gone through two or three seasons now with no "proper" right back. Carson has filled in admirably but many would argue that we still lack a dedicated RB. Equally, our lack of striking options for a good chunk of this season arguably falls at Dodds' door as well. Offloading Oakley and not bringing someone in to help Mckay was a bizarre move. It left us very light at a crucial time in the season.

Second point - we've spent just as long in the top tier as we have done in the second. The SPL/Premiership has, until recently, been our level. If teams like Livingston and Saint Johnstone can remain in the top flight there is nothing to suggest that we couldn't do that and we should be aspiring to that level. Of course, there are plenty of other teams who will think like that but I completely disagree with the notion that the Championship is our level. It might be for a while but historically it has not been.

I do agree however that to stay in the top flight we would really need a generous backer. It's becoming clear that trying to maintain full time football in Scotland outwith the top flight is becoming notoriously difficult. The losses sustained by Falkirk and others show that. Even MacGregor at Ross County seems to be talking about winding in the spending but I suspect they will keep writing blank cheques to offset their losses. And yes I am aware that we also have been bleeding cash :sad:

• Agree 3
  • Thoughtful 1

39 minutes ago, Northern_jaggie said:

How can C*unty and Livingston be premiership teams but we are a Championship team? Have some ambition. 

Well we all know the answer to the first one 😇

We also know that success comes in cycles. Cowdenbeath were in our league quite recently and now they’re in tier 5. Rangers were winning titles and Celtic were nearly bust. Then there’s Falkirk 😂
We can definitely sustain a Premier team if we can get up but it will take a perfect storm as it did in 2004 and 2010. This includes how strong the league is, good fortune with injuries, getting a good crop of players together at the right time, Dundee sh*****g the bed, etc etc, plus a slice of luck. Unfortunately we took several steps backwards after winning the cup which with hindsight could have been avoided. I’ve ranted about that many a time.
As much as anything we could do with a generous backer as @RiG says: to me, it seems there are a few big names in Inverness, but with egos to match, otherwise they could cooperate for the sake of the club.

We’ve got Dodds in charge again so it is what it is. Dundee Utd won the Prem with a very small squad so maybe this is the season we actually don’t have an injury crisis, and  Cammy, Nicolson, Roddy and other youngsters step up to the plate. Maybe Lewis Hyde does a Denzil and becomes a god. Having some of our own in the team is a big factor for me with positive knock on effects for the supporters.
Apologies for the Bannerman-sized post but I’m still riding a wave of optimism from the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Slate is clean as far as I am, and everybody else should be concerned. Not to dwell too much but our season turned on an administrative error by Queens Park. The season now depends on resigning of contracts, loans and additions. Dodds needs to deliver from the off. I am not really bothered about the Viaplay which will be more of a testing and bonding exercise. But we need to come bolting out of the traps as far as the league is concerned 💙

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

As much as anything we could do with a generous backer as @RiG says: to me, it seems there are a few big names in Inverness, but with egos to match, otherwise they could cooperate for the sake of the club.

One sugar daddy would be of enormous benefit for sure, but we mustn't forgot those other financial backers who have been servicing our ridiculous debt year on year.

Let's hope they continue along with us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Money counts (or doesn’t in this case), hence Dodds 2 more years.

His previous spell in charge has been (no pun intended ) for me, a struggle to watch or comprehend the game plan! I cannot agree with IHE it’s a ‘clean sheet’ going forward for Dodds as he has the legacy of the previous years on his tab. (Yak yak injuries and bad luck). The task for him to prove he can provide a team and game plan that improves in both results and performance. 

I’m open enough and willing to provide him the 18 months to see what he can do, and despite my reservations hope he succeeds as Inverness can and should have a top league team. 

It will be selective matches however now going forward for me! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, RiG said:

The SPL/Premiership has, until recently, been our level. 

Our finances were much healthier then.

As a result of gross over-spending during the John Hughes era we are where we are now - a Championship team.

That is our current level, until we can find a generous donor.

23 minutes ago, buckett said:

Our finances were much healthier then.

As a result of gross over-spending during the John Hughes era we are where we are now - a Championship team.

That is our current level, until we can find a generous donor.

What gibberish.

John Hughes was part of our premiership era, arguably the peak, and as you say our finances were healthier then.

We still have generous donors who are covering the eye watering loses from the last couple of seasons.  We are still working on a premier league budget in the championship.

It's not the amount of money we're spending, it's the fact we're spending it on huge numbers of coaching staff, sporting directors, sports scientists, video analysts etc. and seeing zero benefit.

It's bizarrely amusing that we have had so many injuries since introducing a dedicated sports scientist, played some of the dullest football since introducing more coaches, have been found lacking on player recruitment since bringing in a sporting director and put out the shodiest highlights since employing a video analyst!

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 3

4 hours ago, STFU said:

What gibberish.

John Hughes was part of our premiership era, arguably the peak, and as you say our finances were healthier then.

We still have generous donors who are covering the eye watering loses from the last couple of seasons.  We are still working on a premier league budget in the championship.

It's not the amount of money we're spending, it's the fact we're spending it on huge numbers of coaching staff, sporting directors, sports scientists, video analysts etc. and seeing zero benefit.

It's bizarrely amusing that we have had so many injuries since introducing a dedicated sports scientist, played some of the dullest football since introducing more coaches, have been found lacking on player recruitment since bringing in a sporting director and put out the shodiest highlights since employing a video analyst!

Aye ok then, we're a Premiership team.

Just happen to be languishing in the Championship for a few years!

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, buckett said:

Aye ok then, we're a Premiership team.

Just happen to be languishing in the Championship for a few years!

We're clearly not, but it has nothing to do with lack of resources and everything to do with how they're being used.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

Has there been any information on Dodds backroom staff? Hopefully he is allowed to bring in his own coaches now that Baz and Ryan's contracts have expired 

Not sure who within a Dodds network we could expect if that was the case, but is there confirmation those guys have left the club?

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Not sure who within a Dodds network we could expect if that was the case, but is there confirmation those guys have left the club?

No