One club with three histories

IBM

As well as this merger video, Friday’s View from the Terrace also had a feature on Dyce Boys Club which mentioned and showed pictures of youngsters who went on to be successful. Most of the ones mentioned later went on to ICT - Ross Tokely, GraemeShinnie, Andrew Shinnie, Stuart Armstrong, and Stuart Duff too.

• Like 3

What a ghastly, negative video with at least two thirds of it harking back almost 30 years to the least appealing aspects of a 2-3 year process that so far has yielded 12 seasons in the SPL/Premiership, a place in its top six, European football and a Scottish Cup win… not to mention lower league and Challenge Cup wins.

I was also at all of these tense episodes shown here, and a good deal more… also as a BBC reporter. Many on this thread will also have seen the tale unfold live. I see no case whatsoever for a video of this length, most of which attempts to portray the formation of this club in an unduly negative manner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

It was Caledonian F.C when I first started following the team. This was in the later stages of their Highland League and club existence. I never had that solid 'my club' feeling as I wasn't brought up with the team. I never really wanted the merger to happen but would Caley or Thistle have got into the SFL on their own back then? You only have to look over the bridge for that answer. My following of the team started in 78 but I never got to see them and become a paying supporter until some ten years later. The club of today have given me so many good times (and bad) over the years that I now feel it was all worthwhile. Would Caley or Thistle have made it to the SPL (A league I hate) or win a major trophy? I have my doubts. 

• Agree 4

I always find it interesting hearing people's back stories and takes on the merger / pre merger affiliations. 

I was 13/14 when it happened and although my dad couldn't care less about football, my uncle (Ben Gunn) used to take to to the Howden End sometimes so I had leanings from that. At the same time though my Grandad (Angie Mair Snr) took me to Grant St sometimes as he was a big Clach man. I also got my 'big team' support from him which was Rangers.

After the merger I didn't go to more than a couple of ICT games for years as my uncle refused to have anything to do with ICT. By the time I was away to Uni in Glasgow I'd all but lost all interest in Rangers (living in Glasgow killed off the last vestige of any interest lol) and was more interested in ICT, going to the odd away game and Scotland home games. Kinda built from there, to getting a season ticket when I moved back to Inverness. 

• Like 1

I supported Inverness Thistle since around 1962 till their demise. I never wanted the merger, and have yet to meet a supporter who did. I was a season ticket holder and went to all home and away games right up to the end. I could never understand why Thistle and Caley had to merge and all the other Highland League clubs managed to get into the league on their own.

It has been hard for ex-Thistle fans with the merger, hearing all the shouts of Caley, the stadium called Caledonian stadium, the media calling them Caley and playing in predominantly blue. But it is what it is. I have been a season ticket holder since around 2010, it took me a long time to have any feeling for the new club, and I would go to the odd game when I could, work permitting, as I worked most Saturdays and worked back and night shift, but since I retired I haven't missed a home match for several seasons. There have been many highs over the years, and a few lows, and I think I have lived through the golden period of ICT, winning the Scottish Cup being the pinnacle.

I don't have the same passion for ICT that I did have for Inverness Thistle, but that's history now, and the new generation have no excuse for not following their home Scottish League team ICT, instead of following the Glasgow clubs or Aberdeen, something my generation never had.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 4

In hindsight it was clearly a stupid decision and I feel bad for both sets of fans who opposed this at the time. Who was to know the pyramid would open up and allow teams to reach their true level though, at that time it wasn’t really believable. 

I never supported either club from before but always take an interest in their history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Who was to know the pyramid would open up and allow teams to reach their true level though, at that time it wasn’t really believable. 

Possibly a controversial opinion but IMHO: (Caley + Thistle) > Caley or Thistle in terms of the progress the combined teams have achieved in the last 29 years.

• Non-League to premiership in 10 seasons
  • Scottish Cup winners in 20 seasons
  • Into Europe by our 21st birthday. 

If we had been able to go it alone then I believe both Caley and Thistle would have progressed, but County (had they got in) would have eclipsed us thanks to the financial help from Uncle Roy. It has taken the combined efforts of football people from both parent clubs, as well as sponsorship and governance from business and benefactors of both. Had both clubs gone it alone then that would have been fragmented, the stadium would not have happened, and the central belters would have found a(nother) reason to keep us out, or at best, down in the lower leagues which might have been the natural level for either or both. 

Together we are stronger, have forged our own new history as a combined club, alongside the history - not to be forgotten - of the parent clubs that pre-dated ICT. I say that as a Caley man who lived in Dalneigh and would go to Telford Street on a semi-regular basis, work and money permitting. 

• Like 4
  • Well Said 1

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I could never understand why Thistle and Caley had to merge and all the other Highland League clubs managed to get into the league on their own.

IIRC, and without looking up CB's book, the League told the Inverness clubs that it would not be acceptable to have the competition of two Highland League clubs in the same town as a Scottish League club, and so at least two of them would have to merge if they were to be allowed in.

Ross County were admitted at the same time.  Elgin and Peterhead were admitted a few years later, and Cove came through the pyramid system.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...