Countdown to Hampden (v Falkirk)

Robert

Less than three days to go. How are we all feeling: confident, nervous?

I know there is a theory that, after being reinstated, our name is on the trophy. I don’t subscribe to that. Saturday will be tough as Falkirk could hold their own in the Championship and probably be in a similar position to us. Their recent form is mixed so we are clearly favourites.

Mckay and Donaldson, along with on form Kennedy, add some spice.

If we approach the game correctly, and do not under estimate Falkirk, we should be good enough to get through this, but it won’t be plain sailing.

Without Carson, we need to see the best of Duffy and I think it is a game for Doran: he will invite fouls from Mckay and Donaldson.

I’d start with:

Ridgers

Duffy Devine Deas Delaney

Henderson Welsh Allardice Shaw

Doran

Mckay

The hotel is booked so either a celebration or a drowning of sorrows will follow the full time whistle (whether after 90 minutes, 120 or even penalties). Hopefully a celebration!

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 1

Yes, not much atmosphere being generated as yet.  I feel quietly confident that we will get the better of Falkirk, although obviously they will be doing their utmost to avenge the cup final defeat of 8 years ago.  Given the early kick off, I don't expect that too many of our fans will be meeting up in Glasgow pubs beforehand, but perhaps after the match, I hope that some of us can congregate in the city centre for a celebratory drink (or two).  Hope to see some of you there. 

• Like 1

3k was the last I heard but that was in the Chairman’s statement a week or so ago, so it is hopefully a lot more now.

We were outnumbered in 2015 so will be again. 

Edited by Robert

Think I've still got some apathy left in me. I really don't know how this game will pan out. Falkirk did excellent to get to this stage and will not fear us. They have a score to settle from 2015 and they'll have a more vocal and bigger support. We need to start well and shut them up. 

As for our ticket sales I think we'd be luck to exceed 3000. Lets face, not many folk in Inverness can afford two semi finals on the same weekend...😉🤔:whistle:

The stupid early k.o time will prevent many fans meeting up and enjoying the big match build up. Football is not a sport for the fans anymore. I'm hopeful of hooking up with a few after the game but I really don't our plans yet for getting to Hampden.

• Agree 1

I genuinely feel sick at the thought of this Semi. I know we’ve had a good run of form recently but I can’t help but think what if we lose? Going in as favourites to our first semi final adds so much pressure, and if I’m feeling it then I wonder how the players are coping. 

Seeing as you have been keen to get going Robert, here's the preview so far.

2015 Revisited

The last time we played Falkirk at Hampden in front of 37,000 fans, it was a history making event. I don't really need to tell you how that worked out, but for those that were on another planet, we won the Scottish Cup by beating Falkirk 2-1. Since then both clubs have underachieved and hit the skids. Falkirk are now trying to get themselves out of league 1 and we are desperately trying to keep ourselves in the Premiership play-off slot after a horrendous season littered with injuries to the whole squad. A third round struggle past Stirling Albion before we went through to the 5th round by default against Queens Park but since then have comfortably disposed of Premiership opposition in Livingston and Kilmarnock. Falkirk got here by putting six past Wick Academy before a narrow 2-1 win at Alloa. They then dumped media darlings Darvel 5-1 and in the quarter final put out Ayr United. On paper we will be the bookies favourites. That's not something we are normally comfortable with and I fully expect Falkirk will fancy their chances in this one. Be warned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ticket & Bus info from ICTFC

Supporters Club Buses Full

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Venue Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 27 8 5 14 35 42 -7
Away 23 7 6 10 29 33 -4
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 50 15 11 24 64 75 -11

Falkirk are one of the few clubs out with the Premiership that have had the better of us over the years in head 2 head encounters. In the early years since we crossed swords in 1999 we always found Falkirk to be a difficult side to beat. Only 15 wins from 50 encounters is not one of our better stats. We have fared better in recent years with the Cup Final in 2015 being the pinnacle. The 0-2 home defeat shown below in the stats was the first meeting after the Cup Final win.

Last 10 Competitive Meetings
draw.png
0 - 0
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
loss.png
2 - 3
(H)
win.png
1 - 0
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
loss.png
1 - 3
(A)
win.png
4 - 1
(H)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
draw.png
0 - 0
(A)
loss.png
0 - 2
(H)

Click the link below for our full report from the Scottish Cup Final, brings a tear to a glass eye.....

We went in at the break a goal to the good after getting to grips with the game halfway through the first period, Marley Watkins finishing with aplomb after a seven man move. Carl Tremarco was sent packing after 75 minutes after he miscontrolled a ball and then scythed down Blair Alston as he sped goalwards. Schoolboy error from Carl that was punished five minutes later when Peter Grant headed powerfully home from the vacant left back position. However, an unlikely hero came forward and James Vincent applied the finishing touch after Jamie MacDonald spilled a Watkins shot. The rest is history.

2015 Scottish Cup Final
 May 30th Scottish Cup (Final) 2 - 1  N   37,149    

Anyway, back to the future and another tough game is expected against a Falkirk side who will finish second in League 1 and will be looking for promotion through the play-offs. Three former Inverness players in their ranks at the moment. Defenders Coll Donaldson and Brad Mckay along with winger Kai Kennedy who will be a handful. Mckay and Kennedy scored in a 4-1 win over Alloa at the weekend. Kennedy has scored five goals in his last four games.

However, League form goes out the window in cup games, especially at Hampden where the vastness of the arena with less than full stands can turn it into a training like atmosphere. The daunting task of beating one of the Old Firm at a packed Hampden does not appeal to many, but it has been done before although the bookies won't be expecting that to happen whoever teachers the final.

LAST WEEK

Dundee broke our run of six straight wins with a draw at the Caledonian Stadium last Saturday. They opened the scoring through Lyall Cameron before Austin Samuels levelled with fifteen minutes left. A hard earned point in a game where Dundee looked like running away with the points for over an hour. Our late comeback meant that ultimately it was a deserved point but Dundee might disagree with that.

Falkirk warmed up by trouncing Alloa Athletic 4-1 at Recreation Park. Brad Mckay, Kai Kennedy and a brace from Liam Henderson did the damage. Kennedy on a good spree just now with some spectacular dead ball strikes this month. Coll Donaldson did his bit. He was booked on half time. The third goal enabled them to rest some legs ahead of this one, unlike us who had to battle hard for the full ninety plus minutes.

Latest Team News

David Carson is suspended for this one to add to our missing souls of Roddy MacGregor and Max Ram. Sean Welsh missed last week against Dundee with a knock but should make this one. Sutherland and Walsh will no doubt be watching from the stands. Wallace Duffy made a welcome return last week with the impending suspension of Carson for this game.

Falkirk manager John McGlynn had this starting XI against Alloa:

Kinnear

Williamson     Donaldson:yellowcard:     McKay⚽     McCann

Henderson⚽⚽ :yellowcard:   McGinn     Kucheriavyi

Morrison     Burrell     Kennedy⚽

Subs: P Morrison; Rowe, Allan, Nesbitt, McGuffie, Yeats, Wright Oliver, Lawal
  • Like 1

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

I too am feeling a bit sick re this as we are favourites and if we were not to win it would be devastating. 

I think 3700 a good number considering the cost of travel, tickets and kick off time. I doubt them having more will have a big effect given the size of the stadium really? Falkirk have had a fairly straight forward run to this game with not having met a Premier league club. They are not on a great run of form either. 

However looking forward to seeing everyone and hopefully a great day out 

• Agree 2

What the feck is going on ? The negativity on this forum is unbelievable. I suppose the Dodds Out movement are worried about success !! We are going to Hampden yet again with the potential to reach a second Scottish Cup Final which to me is dreamland. Is this any different to Dundee, Dunfermline, Hearts or Celtic?? As long as the team don’t get carried away with the favourites tag then our form will win through. I suppose to many this is a no lose situation - win and we should have beaten Falkirk - lose and we can blame Dodds. Some were talking about relegation and extinction a few weeks ago. I bet if we do win there will be significantly more going to the final. Well I will be there and I am confident of a result and yet another trip to a final. I am confident that we will be in the playoffs. Those two games are all that I am interested in and both are very important for the future of this club. I am signing off again for a while as I am getting close to another banning 👎

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

23 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

What the feck is going on ? The negativity on this forum is unbelievable. I suppose the Dodds Out movement are worried about success !! We are going to Hampden yet again with the potential to reach a second Scottish Cup Final which to me is dreamland. Is this any different to Dundee, Dunfermline, Hearts or Celtic?? As long as the team don’t get carried away with the favourites tag then our form will win through. I suppose to many this is a no lose situation - win and we should have beaten Falkirk - lose and we can blame Dodds. Some were talking about relegation and extinction a few weeks ago. I bet if we do win there will be significantly more going to the final. Well I will be there and I am confident of a result and yet another trip to a final. I am confident that we will be in the playoffs. Those two games are all that I am interested in and both are very important for the future of this club. I am signing off again for a while as I am getting close to another banning 👎

I just think going in as favourites to our first semi is throwing everyone off. It’s harder to enjoy it when you’re expected to win. No one wants to miss out on a Scottish cup final and Falkirk on their day could spoil the party. 

I hope we get an early goal to settle the nerves and get to really enjoy the occasion. The way the team has played these past 8/9 games they deserve it.

22 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Is this any different to Dundee, Dunfermline, Hearts or Celtic?? 

I suppose it is a little bit different in that there is simply less novelty factor than there used to be, with us having had numerous semi-finals before, and all of us have seen us go on to win the damn thing. In a pretty short space of time we’ve been spoiled by an amount cup success that most clubs can only dream of.

We’ve got to remember though that this might be the last time in our lifetimes that we will get this far in the cup, so best to appreciate and make the most of it!

• Agree 2

I am not attending this semi final due to health issues, but will get the pies in and settle down for the build up on tv. I am quietly confident of a victory, as I think the wide open spaces of Hampden Park will suit our style. With ball carriers the likes of Henderson, Shaw, Samuels and Dan Mackay, they should be able to use their pace, as long as we don't revert to Hoofball. We also know from past experience that our ex centre backs, Donaldson and Mckay always have an error or two in them, so with Billy Mckay playing on their shoulder, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the score sheet, they will know how tricky he can be, and will be wary. So, as I said, I'm quietly confident of a win, so hopefully I'll be in better health for the final. 

• Like 5

Like most people I would prefer going out as underdogs as you have nothing to lose but that’s not the case. We have to be professional and show Falkirk why we are challenging for a play of place, play to our strengths and win the game. I am going down to the game with my son and grandson aged 4 for his first visit to Hampden so hopefully he will get another visit soon :smile:

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The negativity on this forum is unbelievable.

I get a bit fed up with the negativity on the site lately regarding both the cup and the league. If something is possible, then I think in our role as fans we should be trying to bring out the best in our team. In my opinion, the way to do this is by showing them that we respect them as individuals and as a team and that we have faith in them to do their best to get the job done. 

Go Caley Thistle, give it your best shot and have a fabulous day.:ictscarf:🏆

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Well Said 2

image.pngThe word on the street is that the pre-match watering hole will be Alfredo's. It's known as Alfie's Sports Bar on West Nile Street.

Alfie’s is located at 146 West Nile Street, G1 2RQ.  This is a few minutes north of Glasgow Queen’s Street and the Bus Station.

Apparently it opens around 8:00am.

It would be rude not to....

Link to Google Map

• Agree 2

Gutted i cant' make this but i am also missing potentially seeing Ipswich get promoted this weekend as I am away. Will definitely be up for the final if we are successful on sat so i just wish everyone a great day out and i am hoping i get to join you guys and more in the final on the 3rd. Mon the Caleyjags 🔴🔵   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaleyHedgehog said:

I get a bit fed up with the negativity on the site lately regarding both the cup and the league. If something is possible, then I think in our role as fans we should be trying to bring out the best in our team. In my opinion, the way to do this is by showing them that we respect them as individuals and as a team and that we have faith in them to do their best to get the job done. 

Go Caley Thistle, give it your best shot and have a fabulous day.:ictscarf:🏆

I don't see much negativity in regards to the team/players.  The majority of criticism has been directed at management, tactics and off the field events.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I suppose the Dodds Out movement are worried about success !!

Maybe for some, but I strongly disagree. While I have no desire for Dodds to continue beyond his current contract, that does not mean I don't consider and expect us to win. While it will be a tough game and maybe being favourites is an unusual position during this cup run, lets not forget that we are in good form and that Falkirk are a division below for a reason and have players at that level. Dodds needs to get his tactics right and line-up to our strengths based on availability, however motivation should be easy as for many of these players this might be their only chance of getting to a national cup final.

This is our final IMO, when we get there its just a free hit and hope we dont get embarrassed on the day, but first its tie to show why Falkirk are a division below us.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• Yngwie changed the title to Countdown to Hampden (v Falkirk)
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic