Countdown to Hampden (v Falkirk)

Robert

On 4/30/2023 at 5:07 AM, TheMantis said:

Watched it back via the bbc recording and the coverage was just as bad as we had heard with all the blackouts. Also my recording finished at 2pm with a few minutes to go so no interviews etc.

Somehow my feed was from 'viaplay'. No cutting out, no lag, and no problems. very enjoyable watch with my (early) morning coffee. Saved the drams for later when book ending my day with a Toronto FC win against NYC FC.  

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Somehow my feed was from 'viaplay'. No cutting out, no lag, and no problems. very enjoyable watch with my (early) morning coffee. Saved the drams for later when book ending my day with a Toronto FC win against NYC FC.  

Viaplay weren’t offering it here as a one-off, it had to be a subscription which I think was offered at about £50. Anyway I’m not sure I could have recorded it for later 😜 

Great to be there anyway, had forgotten what a privilege it is to get a day out with your team at Hampden, you take it for granted when you’re young.
The final will be my 50th visit 🍻

• Like 1

How come they are only talking about this now?  The fact that the 2 finals are taking place on the same day has been known for months, so if the broadcasters were keen to avoid a clash, they should have been negotiating kick off times months ago.  One understands that audience figures are important to Broadcasters, particularly commercial ones who rely on advertising and/or subscriptions, and that ICT v Celtic is less of a draw for neutrals than Rangers v Celtic or Man City v Man Utd.  But the point is, that regardless of which teams happen to be in the respective finals, if they are played at the same time, total audience figures will be lower.  Given the opportunity a significant proportion of the TV audience would watch both games.

One wonders if payments for broadcasting rights have already been fully agreed or whether there was a clause which links payments to audience figures.  If the former, then the SFA should be telling the Broadcasters where to go.  If the latter, then the clubs should be telling the SFA where to go.  We know where we are going, but sadly we don't quite know when.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

How come they are only talking about this now?  The fact that the 2 finals are taking place on the same day has been known for months, so if the broadcasters were keen to avoid a clash, they should have been negotiating kick off times months ago.  One understands that audience figures are important to Broadcasters, particularly commercial ones who rely on advertising and/or subscriptions, and that ICT v Celtic is less of a draw for neutrals than Rangers v Celtic or Man City v Man Utd.  But the point is, that regardless of which teams happen to be in the respective finals, if they are played at the same time, total audience figures will be lower.  Given the opportunity a significant proportion of the TV audience would watch both games.

One wonders if payments for broadcasting rights have already been fully agreed or whether there was a clause which links payments to audience figures.  If the former, then the SFA should be telling the Broadcasters where to go.  If the latter, then the clubs should be telling the SFA where to go.  We know where we are going, but sadly we don't quite know when.

Exactly. One could have moved to Sunday for instance? 

4 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Exactly. One could have moved to Sunday for instance? 

They better not: my hotel is booked! Get in quick as prices are rising. 

The S*n is reporting we're being offered 8,000 tickets, with the possibility of 10,000 if we sell the initial allocation. Terribly generous of the SFA even letting us attend at all. Also extremely professional of them leaking the news on kick-off time and allocation to the gutter press rather than through official channels. People seem genuinely surprised by the way we're treated. Entirely par for the course I would suggest. 

• Well Said 2

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

How come they are only talking about this now?  The fact that the 2 finals are taking place on the same day has been known for months, so if the broadcasters were keen to avoid a clash, they should have been negotiating kick off times months ago. 

I think it was only a week ago, when the semifinals threw up a final with 2 Manchester teams, that the FA decided to bring forward the kick off to 3pm.

What does it say when the FA changes kickoff for the convenience of travelling fans and this leads to the SFA changing kickoff knowing it will inconvenience travelling fans?

13 minutes ago, ymip said:

The S*n is reporting we're being offered 8,000 tickets, with the possibility of 10,000 if we sell the initial allocation. Terribly generous of the SFA even letting us attend at all. Also extremely professional of them leaking the news on kick-off time and allocation to the gutter press rather than through official channels. People seem genuinely surprised by the way we're treated. Entirely par for the course I would suggest. 

Shocking if true. We should get at least the 14000 we sold last time with some being returned if not sold within x days of the match. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I think it was only a week ago, when the semifinals threw up a final with 2 Manchester teams, that the FA decided to bring forward the kick off to 3pm.

Yes, but it was the police who requested the earlier kick-off time, despite broadcasters and advertisers preferring the original kick-off time of around 16:45 to 17:30.   The FA didn't argue.  Convenience of supporters never came into the decision. 

They should have moved it to Liverpool, which would still be a sensible decision given that there is a rail strike that day.

Beyoncé is playing at Spurs' ground that evening, and you know from the news what the Met is like - all Beyoncé fans  :groovy:

Am I wrong to suggest that each team should be offered exactly half of the ticket allowance, with a date where a percentage of tickets should be returned if unsold, although ICT fans should have the opportunity to buy tickets for the game right up until the day before, providing entire allowance have not been sold to Inverness fans. I know they will not all sell, but we should have the option to buy as many as we can. I know that we plan to take along central belt family and friends (not old firm fans),to swell the ranks just like last time and I'm sure others will do the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ram us all into a wee corner as well, they've tried that before, but NOBODY PUTS CALEY(THISTLE) IN THE CORNER.

What we don’t want though is for Celtic fans to be buying tickets from ICT for our section because they are easily available after their own allocation sells out quickly, so it does make sense for the allocations to be realistic.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

9 hours ago, Peleistheman said:

Have been checking all the News sites, including the Beeb but no comment from any of them, unless the stunning Sun is stirring up the crap.

No I hear there is something in this from a reputable source 

I think we've got to be realistic re ticket allocation? It wouldn't be fair being offered half given our average crowd and Celtics? 

The danger is Highland bases Celtic fans will try to buy up ours? I assume the club will be on this and have a plan. 

Personally think 10k realistic. It's not like last time when we were hit favourites to win. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

BBC TV said half an hour ago that the SFA are considering options for earlier and later kickoff times, but 3pm hasn’t been ruled out either.

I'm hoping the almost universal condemnation might sway them? It's not a good look for them or the SC reputation moving in favour of FA Cup? 

35 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

What we don’t want though is for Celtic fans to be buying tickets from ICT for our section because they are easily available after their own allocation sells out quickly, so it does make sense for the allocations to be realistic.

Fair point. I just hate to think of an ICT fan misses out, while waiting for pay day.

Of course, Celtic fans would argue that they have 50,000 season ticket holders and several thousand on a waiting list, so why should they miss out on a final and the opportunity for the Treble just so  that thousands of ICT "fans" who rarely if ever make the effort to go to games can attend?  I have some sympathy for that argument, but on the other hand, Celtic have these big occasions as a matter of course and fans get lots of opportunities to apply for tickets.  For small clubs like ours, these occasions are a very rare so fans should be given a realistic opportunity to buy tickets as many will never get the chance again.

Also, the game is supposed to take place on a level playing field, so to speak, which is why it is held in a neutral venue.  There should be the opportunity for both sets of players to be roared on by an equal number of fans, otherwise, one side is given an advantage.  We should, therefore be given the opportunity to sell as many tickets as we can, but it would have to be on the basis that we would have to return unsold blocks of tickets if we haven't sold them within a defined timeframe. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

With Celtic having such a huge support, that is probably an issue regardless of what our allocation is.  It needs Celtic to warn supporters that if they are found to have bought a ticket from our allocation, they will be banned from Celtic games next season and, if they are a ST holder, removed from the ST list.

• Well Said 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic