Player of the Year

Robert

Voting is now open on the club website.

I must admit I hadn’t realised Samuels is as young as he is, as he is one of many eligible for the young player award, although with the injury he had he will not be a contender. Shaw is also in the young player category.

I suspect there will be many varied views on here as to who the winners should be.

I’ve not voted yet as I need to watch the goals, but should we either have a poll on here or post our own views?

The link:

https://ictfc.com/2022-23-ictfc-player-of-the-year-awards/

Edited by Robert

I’ve watched the goals now and have voted:

Player of the Year: Billy Mckay.

Young Player: Nathan Shaw (as we had him the full season whereas Henderson joined at new year).

Goal: Billy Mckay: first v Livingston. 

For the young player, Shaw has obviously had a great 2nd half of the season with goals and assists. But Cameron Harper has had a good season too, establishing himself as a first team regular, with 40 starts - only Carson has more. He’s looked increasingly assured at left back as well as being surprisingly useful when played further up the park, chipping in with some very important and well struck goals. I know I’m not the only one who had doubts as to whether he’d make it at this level but he’s progressed really well.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

For the young player, Shaw has obviously had a great 2nd half of the season with goals and assists. But Cameron Harper has had a good season too, establishing himself as a first team regular, with 40 starts - only Carson has more. He’s looked increasingly assured at left back as well as being surprisingly useful when played further up the park, chipping in with some very important and well struck goals. I know I’m not the only one who had doubts as to whether he’d make it at this level but he’s progressed really well.

I think Harper has progressed well, but in midfield in my opinion. I don't think he is a left back, never have. He always seems reluctant press on when he has the ball, he asks for the ball and his first thought is to pass it back, he very rarely turns and runs down the wing. Maybe this is what he has been told to do, as Dodds seems happy for him to do this. We have been blessed in the left back position in recent seasons, with both Shinnie and Tremarco excelling in that berth, and I think Deas is a better left back, but we lose his power at centre back.

I do believe that Harper's future lies in the midfield, where he is more proactive and carries a goal threat, but it's great to see former youth team players break through, and hopefully more will follow next season.

• Like 3

Whatever happened to the 'player of the year' awards, they used to be awarded on the pitch at the last home game of the season?

Having them at some other time, usually the first home game of the next season, has problems now, as most players move on and don't stay too long at our club, and any players who maybe won an award might now play for other clubs, and are not in attendance to accept their award and take the applause from the supporters.

I just think ICT are always missing a beat when it comes to things like this.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Whatever happened to the 'player of the year' awards, they used to be awarded on the pitch at the last home game of the season?

Having them at some other time, usually the first home game of the next season, has problems now, as most players move on and don't stay too long at our club, and any players who maybe won an award might now play for other clubs, and are not in attendance to accept their award and take the applause from the supporters.

I just think ICT are always missing a beat when it comes to things like this.

Having the vote close a week after the last home game of the regular season is amateurish.  It's pretty contemptuous of the players and fans alike.  it's little things like this which maybe make players decide not to sign a new contract here.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

I agree. It would have been nice if the presentations had taken place after the Ayr game, despite the outcome, allowing the full squad to get the appreciation of fans. That’s what’s happened in previous seasons when the awards have been at the last home league game. 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Having the vote close a week after the last home game of the regular season is amateurish.  It's pretty contemptuous of the players and fans alike.  it's little things like this which maybe make players decide not to sign a new contract here.

Yes. ICTFC again ticking a box, but not valuing individuals as people. Happens time and again. One of my reasons for being disillusioned and contemplating whether or not I will renew my season ticket. Sad indeed. 

• Agree 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Clearly awaiting to do this back at the stadium after the cup parade through town....................(if they can find a bus)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

On Twitter, awards being made tomorrow evening at the Stadium.  To win 5  x 2 tickets to attend, fans must re-tweet before 10am tomorrow.   Does this mean only 10 people allowed to attend?   Can ICT get even more strange?   Unbelievable 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, lizi said:

On Twitter, awards being made tomorrow evening at the Stadium.  To win 5  x 2 tickets to attend, fans must re-tweet before 10am tomorrow.   Does this mean only 10 people allowed to attend?   Can ICT get even more strange?   Unbelievable 

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. It seems that if there's a wrong way to do it, or how to alienate the supporters, ICT will find a way.

• Agree 1

Being serious though, I know I made the comment about the day after the cup final, but could they not just really do it at the stadium then. I appreciate some players contracts will be ending or keen to get away on hols but I'd hope they all have availability that day incase we do win. Let the fans turn up on the Sunday win or loose, open the bar, do a few hours meet and greet, kids kick about.....make it something fun and throw in the awards and some player club banter.

Really not hard to do something that's not the utter ***** they are propsing.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Absolutely awful - over the years I’ve loved applauding the winners of awards at our Stadium.  This Cup Final Year, it is so down key, the players who get awards will feel it’s just so minimal it’s not worth even a photo.    Similar to those of us who’ve sponsored players for umpteen years but this year, not even a photograph of the sponsored player.   ICT seem to want the fans cash for sponsorship, voting for awards, etc, but - tough, nought in return.   It’s getting very disappointing if not causing fans disillusionment.  Soon fans will take their cash elsewhere if ICT don’t wake up and I lay the blame squarely on the grey suits and CEO.  Get it sorted ICT or difficulties in the future re the true fan base. 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 6

🏆 Player of the Year Awards 2022/23 🏆
Tonight the winners of our Player of the Year awards were presented with their awards.
🏆 Players’ Player of the Year 2022-23 was Billy Mckay, as presented by Head Coach Billy Dodds!
🏆 Players’ Young Player of the Year 2022-23 was Cameron Harper, also presented by Head Coach Billy Dodds.
🏆 Fans Player of the Year 2022-23 was Billy Mckay, as presented by Laura Grant from the Supporters Trust!
🏆 Fans Young Player of the Year 2022-23 was Nathan Shaw, as presented by Lady Kath Fraser from the Supporters Trust!
🏆Goal of the Season 2022-23 was Billy Mckay’s second goal v Livingston, as presented by Barry Wilson.
  • Like 1

Thanks tm4tj, just a pity it wasn’t done at full time on 5 May. Did the club assume we’d be in the play offs when they set the closing date of 12 May?

All my choices were the fans’ winners. 

As a Season Ticket holder from the inception of ICT, and a Caley fan since primary school days before that, this isn’t the way to encourage fans.  I would have loved to applaud our players at the Awards.    I’m so sad and disappointed.   This isn’t the way forward ICT.     Please have a major rethink for next season. 

• Well Said 6

22 minutes ago, lizi said:

As a Season Ticket holder from the inception of ICT, and a Caley fan since primary school days before that, this isn’t the way to encourage fans.  I would have loved to applaud our players at the Awards.    I’m so sad and disappointed.   This isn’t the way forward ICT.     Please have a major rethink for next season. 

It's just what I expect from ICT now. The people who voted for the awards, in most case the supporters, don't get to attend and show our appreciation. It's almost like a secret society, and the supporters are not allowed into the inner sanctum!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Are you suggesting funny handshakes maybe are part of the nepotism we have become accustomed........

I would never suggest such a thing, I am just a humble supporter, the bottom of the food chain in today's football world, what do I know!

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I would never suggest such a thing, I am just a humble supporter, the bottom of the food chain in today's football world, what do I know!

Me neither, just not sure on other secret societies other than the magic circle and the tufty club. Given our board performance there's **** all magical and they lack direction so not sure if they'd apply

• Funny 3

The Supporters Trust were obviously aware of the 'event' and on hand to present trophies.

I'd have thought (hoped?) they might have had some objection, or were they happily bought off with an invite to this exclusive get together?

• Like 3