Contract news and transfer gossip/news

CaleyTennis

I have started this thread for news on who's getting offered contracts and getting released (once that gets announced which imho could be soon) and for transfer news and gossip on who we've been linked with (again once these have been started, this doesn't include players mentioned on previous posts such as the Todorov one on another thread I seen last night).

I am hoping people respect this thread and don't start turning on me or other posts as the last thing I want is for the thread to become off topic so be warned 😛 (ps please note the smiley).

If I'm correct, most of the 'out of contract' player's contracts are up at the end of May 2023, so how does this affect them playing for ICT in the cup final on the 3rd of June? Do ICT have to sign them on a short extension contract, or play them as trialists?

I'm genuinely curious, as I don't want our amazing cup final win against Celtic to be taken from us because of some administration error! 😉

• Funny 1

Its expected that the contract wording would be until XX date or after final season game whichever is latest in calender to cover these eventualities as the club will know the play-off date risks wrt to contract end dates. SC & league games (including play-off) are part of the regular game season.

• Thank You 1

Dodds talking about next season in yesterday's P&J is a worry. I think him and Robbo et al have new contracts tied up already. This won't be announced until after the Cup Final in fear of affecting ticket sales. You can just picture the back slapping of the old boys club in the boardroom!! 

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Its expected that the contract wording would be until XX date or after final season game whichever is latest in calender to cover these eventualities as the club will know the play-off date risks wrt to contract end dates. SC & league games (including play-off) are part of the regular game season.

Was in P&J the other day that contracts expire end of May and players will need to sign extensions.

Not sure how that will work with loans.

2 minutes ago, STFU said:

Was in P&J the other day that contracts expire end of May and players will need to sign extensions.

Not sure how that will work with loans.

If that really is the case then its incredibly tin-pot & amateur as we have had these discussions year on year regarding play-off dates etc. However the P&J as a source has little credibility and doubtful any access to the legal T&C's of player contracts or the caveats in place.

Hypothetically though, if I was a player and my contract expires then I may not be able to extend due to having signed & committed to another club (PCA) or through my agent will be looking for a hefty additional sum to extend a few days knowing the club are ****** for a cup final with half a team missing!!!

Paul Chalk at the P&J is normally pretty good and not one for printing sensationalist BS.

With the CEO having said player contract talks will start after the league was decided, then there's the added awkwardness of needing players for the final, but perhaps telling them they won't be offered new contracts.

Also, if no decision has been made on/by the manager on staying, then we could be in a situation where the man building the squad for next season won't be here.

I'm sure they'll all make sure they fet their free holiday in the sun, though.  Just as well we're flush with cash 🤦

Regardless of which way you look at it, it's 'tin-pot'.

Our own stats show end of May, but that was purely down to me following previous seasons input on here. When players sign the usual spiel from the club is until end of season 22/23 or whatever. I presume as the season is extended then something will be in place to cover this at ICTFC. When doing the players stats on here we have boxes to tick and add dates etc, so I usually put them out until end of May. I'll push that out until mid June in future.

Anyway, it's always been one of the sources of no/misinformation from the club.

***Anyone want to volunteer to get the Bio's up to date. I'm talking years of Bio's which had been ignored by previous incumbents?

Drop me a pm if you would like to help.

I am afraid that the first contract to be discussed and decided will be the one currently held by Billy Dodds. That puts us in a real quandary. I suspect that Dodds has learned from this season but I cant see him changing the system that he has stuck to. I am afraid that most coaching schools and many teams, of varied skill and ability, advocate the play it out from the back, tippy-tappy crab like system and hoof if in trouble. I dislike it and yearn for somebody to shake the norm and adapt a more Pele Paterson style of play. I was hoping that Dodds and Robbo would stand aside but that is NOT going to happen. However it will tell us a lot about the dressing room if or when Dodds staying is announced and see who jumps ship and who stays. Deas and Allardyce are almost certain to leave. A lot will depend on the loan purchases and I also yearn for a target player up front and a return to our previously successful pairings of target man and pacy sidekick. I also hope that if any managerial contracts are being carried out then it is for the season and review and the supporting muppets are culled (I am not referring to Grassa 🤣). 

Can see a number of short term (3 month contracts) may be offered but acceptance would suggest that those involved are signing for the Cup Final only.

7 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

If that really is the case then its incredibly tin-pot & amateur as we have had these discussions year on year regarding play-off dates etc.

But when were the announcements of the Premiership season extension and the revised Cup Final date, to allow for the World Cup in December?  

Contracts may already have been drawn up and signed before then.  Certainly those which lasted more than one year!

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I am afraid that most coaching schools and many teams, of varied skill and ability, advocate the play it out from the back, tippy-tappy crab like system and hoof if in trouble. I dislike it and yearn for somebody to shake the norm and adapt a more Pele Paterson style of play. 

A huge part of the reason that my love of the game has diminished somewhat, is this very style of play that you mention. It REALLY iritates the hell out of me.
I recall when Dodds came in, he was promissing and exciting attacking style of football. Not sure that is what i would describe as having witnessed, on the odd occassion i watch ICT this past while.
I too would love to see a return to the footie played under Pele Patterson. I couldnt give a toss if we lost a lot of games, as long as i was entertained.
Just for the record, two of my most fave ICT games i ever saw, were both defeats for ICT, but they were cracking games of footie to watch

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, tm4tj said:

Our own stats show end of May, but that was purely down to me following previous seasons input on here. When players sign the usual spiel from the club is until end of season 22/23 or whatever. I presume as the season is extended then something will be in place to cover this at ICTFC. When doing the players stats on here we have boxes to tick and add dates etc, so I usually put them out until end of May. I'll push that out until mid June in future.

Anyway, it's always been one of the sources of no/misinformation from the club.

***Anyone want to volunteer to get the Bio's up to date. I'm talking years of Bio's which had been ignored by previous incumbents?

Drop me a pm if you would like to help.

When I was helping out at a certain EOSL/LL club, the contracts always ran out on July 1. This seemed to be the default date on the SFA Intranet which is where clubs can look up players to see if they are available. As long as they were contracted to a club, other clubs couldn’t access their details.

Edited by TheMantis

11 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Well we've got our first bit of news courtesy of Mr Fly on the Wall twitter who states Steven Boyd will be released after the cup final.

On the assumption that this is correct, it is fair to say that with the catalogue of injuries we had and the chances he had to impress, it was our younger home grown players who were the better performers. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

who states Steven Boyd will be released after the cup final.

Technically a player who's contract is expired is not released. Not retaining someones services and releasing/terminating from a contract are 2 different scenarios, distinctions and legal obligations.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

And maybe a better manager, tactics and DoF who is finding such starlets

I agree with manager and tactics bit imho we DO NOT need a director of football, the manager has to be trusted with identifying targets etc.

I can't think of any other club where there is a director at a club, it's only Rugby that has Director positions!

Lots of football clubs have a DoF, just its questionable whether at our level when £2M in debt and allegedly paying 6 figure salary is a good investment, especially when recruitment results have been average over the last few seasons. Additionally since we should have a scouting network, or use the funds to divest into that area we should cover more ground for targets and I agree the manager should be heavily involved in target selection based on his required playing style (hit and hoof Doddsball as its known)