The long wait is over

Having lain idle since the 5th of May Championship flop against Ayr United, the long wait for the Scottish Cup Final is over for the Caley Jags. The Semi-Final was played out on the 29th of April, a 3-0 win over Falkirk guaranteeing our place in the final where we will face the daunting task of stopping forty time Cup winners Celtic from winning the treble. Not an easy task I hear you say. However, you've got to be in it to win it, and we find ourselves in our second Scottish Cup Final in eight years. We have a long way to go to catch up with Celtic though as this will be their sixtieth appearance in the final. I imagine the stattos amongst us will be searching their Guinness Book of Records to find out the biggest winning margin in the Scottish Cup Final. I'll save you the bother. Renton 6-1 v Cambuslang on 4th February 1888. Or, ominously, Celtic 6-1 Hibernian on 6th May 1972. Are we about to re-write the record books?

Check all the records at Scottish Cup Records.

Win or lose, I hope you all enjoy the occasion. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The route to the final

Inverness struggled to overcome a stubborn Stirling Albion side at our entry level in the Scottish Cup 3rd round. Dale Carrick had opened the scoring in the 27th minute but Wallace Duffy levelled five minutes later. Max Ram then put us ahead five minutes before the break and we all breathed a sigh of relief. However, the Binos were not finished and Carrick scored a second in stoppage time before the interval. With twenty minutes left Aaron Doran scored what proved to be the winner, but credit to the visitors for making us work extra hard to get through to the fourth round.

The 4th round tie with Queens Park turned from gloom to joy. After beating Inverness 2-0 on the pitch, Queens Park were dumped out of the Cup for fielding an illegible player in the shape of Euan Henderson. How fortuitous. Has anyone ever won the Cup after being knocked out?

The 5th round saw Inverness face Premiership opposition away from home at Livingston. Fear not as Billy Mckay scored a brilliant brace to add to a Sean Welsh header to put us into the quarter final.

6th round was another Premiership scalp with Kilmarnock visiting the Caledonian Stadium on a snowy March evening. Despite suffering an early setback when Vassell scored in the third minute, the Caley Jags dug deep and overcame Killie with a Billy Mckay penalty and a superb Sean Welsh strike in the middle of a snow storm.

Semi-Final: It was a re-run of the 2015 final with Inverness taking on Falkirk for for a place in the final. Inverness proved to be too clinical for the Bairns with another brace from Billy Mckay and a superb header from Dan Mackay. Always a step ahead of the Bairns, it was a relatively comfortable passage into the final, where one would imagine Celtic will provide a much sterner test.

Hampden Calling....Again

CFvNzRKlXoAA9GLI?format=jpg&name=smalleltic's route to the final: 

4th Round: Celtic 5-0 Morton - Mooy x2, Furuhashi x2, Turnbull.

5th Round: Celtic 5-1 St Mirren - Maeda, Hatate x2, Hyeo-gyu, O'Riley.

6th Round: Hearts 0-3 Celtic - Mooy, Furuhashi, Vickers.

Semi-Final: Rangers 0-1 Celtic - Jota.

Celtic seemed to scrape through their ties scoring fourteen goals for the loss of only two. Surprisingly the bookies see Celtic as favourites to lift the Cup. Meh, what do they know!

Inverness warmed up for the final with a hastily arranged kick-about against Dungannon Swifts in County Tyrone on 20th May. It ended 3-1 for Inverness and the whole squad managed to get a kick of the ball at some stage of the game. There was also an alleged closed doors practice against Nairn County. Incidentally, Swifts secured their top league status with a play off aggregate win 3-2 over Annagh United, having come from 2-1 down after the first leg. Congratulations to them.

Celtic's month was somewhat fuller. After defeating Rangers in the semi-final on 30th April, they beat Hearts 2-0 at Tynecastle. They followed that by losing 3-0 at Ibrox in the final old firm derby of the season then drew 2-2 with St Mirren. A midweek game at Easter Road on the 24th May resulted in a 4-2 defeat for ten man Celtic. Looks like they're knackered now and we will be full of beans after a month off:shrug:  However, a week before the final, they played their last Premiership game of the season against Aberdeen at Parkhead. That's Aberdeen, the third best placed team in the Scottish Premiership. Looks like they were out in full force this week having rested half their team over the last couple of games and they trounced Aberdeen 5-0. Just let these stats sink in against Scotland's third best football club this season.

Celtic--------VVVVVVVV--------Aberdeen

Celtic 76% - Possession - 24% Aberdeen

Celtic 20 ------- Shots ------- 0 Aberdeen

Celtic  8 -- Shots on Target -- 0 Aberdeen

Celtic 10 ------ Corners ------ 2 Aberdeen

On the plus side, we have knocked Celtic out of the Scottish Cup on three occasions. Contrary to popular belief we did not get to keep them for that. There was the SuperCaleyGoBallistic in 2000, followed by the week after beating Liverpool in the UEFA Cup in 2003 (Henrik Larrson and all), and who can forget the Hand of Josh thriller in the 2015 semi-final before we went on to lift the Cup against Falkirk. Overall, we have beaten Celtic seven times in competitive games and drawn seven times. Stats will show that Celtic have won thirty-four times. Fortunately, stats don't win games.

Latest Team News

Inverness CT have a full squad to pick from after a month off apart from Sutherland and Walsh. In saying that, the likes of Roddy MacGregor has had little game time in his recovery from injury, so some may not be 100% fit.

***Look back in later in the week to hear from Billy Dodds ahead of the final***

Celtic have a squad full of Eastern promise and full international players. Let's not dwell too much on that. Furuhashi took a knock against Aberdeen but it's not a major concern?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Player of the Season Awards

In some sort of clandestine ceremony on Monday night, the seasonal awards were handed over, cloak and dagger style at the Caledonian Stadium. Unsurprisingly Billy Mckay was the big winner. Is it written in the stars for Billy to move level with the legendary Dennis Wyness in this Scottish Cup Final. Now that would be some story!

Congratulations to all the winners. Well deserved 🏆

🏆 Player of the Year Awards 2022/23 🏆
Tonight the winners of our Player of the Year awards were presented with their awards.
🏆 Players’ Player of the Year 2022-23 was Billy Mckay, as presented by Head Coach Billy Dodds!
🏆 Players’ Young Player of the Year 2022-23 was Cameron Harper, also presented by Head Coach Billy Dodds.
🏆 Fans Player of the Year 2022-23 was Billy Mckay, as presented by Laura Grant from the Supporters Trust!
🏆 Fans Young Player of the Year 2022-23 was Nathan Shaw, as presented by Lady Kath Fraser from the Supporters Trust!
🏆Goal of the Season 2022-23 was Billy Mckay’s second goal v Livingston, as presented by Barry Wilson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On yer bike Steve

Message from Joonya

Many of you may remember The Highland March - a walking event between the final two league matches of ICT's season, of which took place every year from 2003 to 2015.

Well, two of us former marchers have come together to do something different in the build up to the Scottish Cup Final.

Steve 'Yompa' Taylor (formerly known as 'InterTheNet') will be donning the lycra to cycle from Caledonian Stadium to Hampden Park IN A DAY. Steve sets off at 3am on Tuesday 30th May, and I will be joining him as the support driver.

We'll be doing this for charity, with all monies being split equally between MikeysLine and the Celtic Foundation. Both of these charities provide mental health support to people of all backgrounds, in and around Glasgow and the Highlands.

We invite you to follow us on Twitter (@Road2Hampden) where you will find the Just Giving page. Please donate what you can, if you can.

Thank you 😊 🔵 🔴

9zifyy.jpgICT have supported MikeysLine since their inception in 2015, and John Robertson is an ambassador for the charity. They provide Mental Health support to people across Inverness and the Highlands.

But why Celtic Foundation too? Over recent years, supporters of the foundation have helped Yompa raise money and awareness for the Solving Kids Cancer charity. It's his way of giving something back, at a time when two teams with history in this competition come head to head in the final.

ImageMon everybody, empty yer pockets to help Steve's designated charities after this superb effort.

Just Giving Link

Every donation helps, and we'd like to thank everyone for their support :clapoverhead:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FANZONE

Here's Scooty & the Skyhooks plus good luck messages

Wyness Shuffle.jpgThe Wyness Shufflers have been busy and here's your Cup Final podcast 'Back to the Future' from the guys RIGHT HERE

What's in it for you: Two and a half hours of all things Caley Thistle. The pre-match venue, memorable games with Celtic, ICT Legends with Stuart Golabeck, Ross Tokely, James Vincent, Dennis Wyness and current captain Sean Welsh and don't miss Sandy's Scottish Cup Final tune. 

Well done guys, a great effort. :clapoverhead:

image.jpegYour pre-Cup Final entertainment for Caley Jags fans.

Provided by the fans for the fans: Get yourself along to The Ferry before the game for some pre-match Shenanigans & Schiehallions. 

Three bars available

Food available

Families Welcome

Face painting

Doors Open: 11:00am

Entertainment from 12:00 > 4:00

Bus to game (maybe)

BUY TICKETS £4

Where? The Ferry

25 Anderston Quay

Glasgow

G3 8BX

Alternatively, here's SirSandman92

• Like 1
  • Thank You 2

All ready here. Just coffee for now but the beat up old cup which I have had for years could only be bettered by the one on offer today 😉 

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

• Like 4

Tears of Pride

Celtic were big favourites to lift the Cup and with it complete the Treble. Inverness have been here before and have put Celtic out of the Cup on three previous occasions. However, it's a big ask and the bookies agree with Celtic's favourites tag. Scotland's number one side against this seasons eighteenth best side. It was pretty much a clean bill of health for Billy Dodds after a month of relative inactivity for his squad with just long term casualties Shane Sutherland and Tom Walsh missing. Celtic were without Aaron Mooy and Cameron Carter-Vickers but such is their wealth of talent it would matter not a jot. At the end of the day Celtic would win the treble and lift the Scottish Cup. Inverness stuck to their game plan and battled hard, but it was one scalp too many. However there was only tears of pride at the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the pre-match entertainment enjoyed by the fans the game kicked off in bright sunshine. Celtic got the game underway in 21 degrees Celsius. Could anyone outdo Man City who scored in 12 seconds in the FA Cup Final. The answer was NO. A tentative opening from both sides as Inverness tried to play their way into the game with Celtic trying to force the pace. Fifteen minutes gone and the pattern remains the same with Celtic forcing the pace but over eager with their final ball. O'Riley bounced a volley wide in the first half chance of the game with almost nineteen minutes gone. A defensive misplaced pass offered Celtic an opportunity but Jota ran out of space as the defence recovered to shut him down. Ten minutes before the break Ridgers made his first save as he dropped on a low strike from 15 yards. A minute later Celtic went in front when Kyogo smashed in from eight yards. He almost added a second five minutes before the break but he chipped wide of Ridgers right hand post as Celtic turned the screw.

Half Time: 1-0

Inverness were looking to get forward more at the start of the second half but Celtic were still dominating possession although Nathan Shaw was a half yard away from getting on the end of a low ball into the Celtic box. However Celtic were starting to flow better and the danger signs were there for Inverness. In the 65th minute Celtic doubled their advantage. They rode a couple of rash challenges before Abada stroked the ball into the net. VAR took a look and after some deliberation the goal was given. It was tight, but 2-0 it was. Ridgers made amends for a botched clearance when he clutched a shot out of the top corner from O'Riley. Cue plenty of substitutions with the game seemingly safe. Inverness got a lifeline with five minutes to go and it was a replica goal from Dan Mackay from a Wallace Duffy cross. Absolutely tremendous bulleted header again from Dan. Ridgers saved with his legs as Celtic looked to finish the tie off through Haksabanovic. They did moments later when Jota scored from close range after good work by Abada. Game over, maybe Ange's last one in charge but Celtic march on and we head back to the Championship with our heads held high.

Full Time: 3-1

• Like 1
  • Thank You 1

Poor tactics in the first half and showed Celtic too much respect.  Better in the second half.

Players have nothing to be ashamed of.

I shall be watching from afar next season unless there's big changes in the dugout and off the park, but that's not on the players.

• Like 1

Obviously the plan was to hold them for as long as possible. Almost got to half time like that. Slightly more adventurous in the second half but they are the top team in the country.

Nothing to see here.

Big team beats wee team.

Move along.

• Agree 5

Some thoughts:

Thought we set up far too defensive in the first half. Didn’t seem to be an out ball at any point. Kyogo’s movement for the goal was sublime.

Second half was much better. Pressed more, had some players make runs. Second goal was just stupid to concede though, two rash challenges that took players out of position.

If you are going to score a goal in a final, a diving header in the sun is one way to do it.

I’ll need to see the third again, but looked like comical defending.

Was great to see what I thought was a strong outing for the support. But I can’t see us doing well with crowds next year if that’s the football on offer. We resorted to hoof ball a lot.

Well no shame in result and didn't get battered.However don't think we had a shot on goal in the first half as we defended and tried to just keep Celtic out and nearly made half time at 0-0,but it was not to be.We showed Celtic too much respect and were not brave enough.Second half much better and brilliant headed goal for Mackay.

You just knew we would revert to hoof ball and sure enough we did. 

All in all some decent play,but I feel we were just not brave enough from middle to front.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie

Tend to agree with this. A tad disappointing as the ball kept being played back when having decent possession. But everyone gave their all against a machine that no-one expected  we would be capable of beating. Best goal of the game ( a goal was all I realistically wanted). A great day out with the Celtic fans great with me as I walked too and from the game in a sea of green and white. Full  marks to them too.

Agree with that Naelifts. I was also going add that the massed hordes of Celtic fans I encountered walking to the stadium were actually the friendliest fans I’ve encountered, going out of their way to speak to us and shake hands.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Still on the bus coming home.

At least we made them work for it. Shook them by scoring but not enough though and too late. If only they could have done that more throughout the match. Still, the players were a credit and we should be proud of what they achieved against the odds again. 👏 

Yes, the Gardyne gnome is a *****.  Tomorrow we're having a party cos County's going down!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Donald1973 said:

Have to say a decent performance overall but I thought Shaw was absolutely horrendous. Missed at least one if not 2 sitters, almost looked disinterested throughout 

It was a rather disappointing performance from him considering what we know he is a capable of - but I think you’re being a bit harsh. Sitters?!

• Funny 1

I am at home now having a dram 🥃 

after Celtic thrashing Aberdeen was a bit worried but the team gave it their best today against the best Celtic side in years! Carson Harper and Duffy were our best but the rest of the team were great as well a great team effort. 
I was not expecting to win hopefull for another upset but not to be. 
A great day out and our second cup final in eight years 😃

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Proud of all 16 who played today.

We all feared a beating but to be only 2-1 down going into stoppage time must have exceeded all our expectations.

Celtic are a class or two above us in terms of skill, pace and performance, but we did better than many top league teams have done against them.

I think the formation was right and we hoped to keep them out for as long as possible and catch them on the break.

It wasn’t to be, but it would have been a surprise to us all if we had won. I thought anything better than 4-0 would be good and we did a damn sight better than that.

A shout out for the singing section and our fans overall: you also did us proud.

A good day out, despite the result, and as I said above I’m proud of the team. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 7
  • Well Said 1

Overall, we did better than most folk, and me, feared. The first half was a hard watch, as it was played mostly in our half, and it just showed the gulf in class between the players of both teams. Celtic made so much space for themselves with some accurate passing and confidence on the ball, even when bringing the ball out of their half, while anytime we had possession of the ball near our goal it was a bit like a hot potato, just get it away instead of having that calmness to look up and pick a pass, and who could blame them, we all now the quality that Celtic possess and how they can hurt you if you hesitate on the ball. The second half was much better, and I thought if we had played that way from the start, we might have given them more to think about. We gave their back four far too much time in the first half to stroll out into our half without much resistance.

When I heard that Dodds was going to spring a surprise in his formation or tactics, I thought he might play Carson in the hole, to back up Billy Mckay and have Henderson wide right and Shaw wide left, but Shaw in a central roll just doesn't do it for me. I did think Carson had a good game, even though he picked up a booking and walked a fine line for the rest of the game. Dan scored another great header, this time from a sublime cross from the ever improving Duffy.

So on the whole, it was the result everyone expected, but not the thumping that some had predicted. The whole squad should be satisfied that they gave it their best shot, and hopefully it will stand them (those who are staying with the club) in good stead for next season, as they will now have gained that big game experience. 

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

I think the last two posts above sum up the game perfectly. 

Shaw through the middle didn't work, and he seemed to be exhausted early doors? Though I can see the thinking behind putting him there with his height maybe giving the celtic central defenders something to think about, but he really had nothing to work with!

Special mention to the singing section.  . . . they were awesome throughout 👏 Just goes to show that this west terrace project should be put to bed and the singing section moved into a completely unallocated section B (or wherever) of the north stand.  That would create the best possible atmosphere at home. 

Mon The Jags ! ❤️🖤💙

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic