How Many Grounds

ictchris

How many grounds have you seen Caley Thistle play at?  Saw this discussed on P&B, thought it was an interesting question.

I have seen us play at 40 different grounds.

Premiership - PIttodrie, Celtic Park, Dens Park, Tynecastle, Easter Road, Rugby Park, Almondvale, Fir Park, Ibrox, Victoria Park, McDairmid Park, St Mirren Park.

Championship - Excelsior, Somerset Park, Tannadice, East End, Cappielow, Caledonian Stadium, Firhill, Stark's Park

League One - Recreation Park, Falkikr Stadium, New Douglas Park, Palmerston Park, Forthbank

League Two - New Bayview, Borough Briggs, Ochilview.

Non-league - Station Park (Nairn County), Christie Park (Huntly), Mosset Park (Forres Mechanics), Grant Street Park (Clach), Princess Royal Park (deveronvale), Grant Park (Lossiemouth), New Victoria Park (Newtongrange Star) and Cliftonhill (Albion Rovers).

Neutral - Hampden Park (cup semis and finals)

Grounds that no longer exist - Telford Street, Brockville and Love Street.

I've also seen us play as the home team at five different grounds - Telford Street and Caledonian Stadium, as well as Pittodrie (2004/05 ground share), Tannadice (1996 cup tie v Rangers) and Victoria Park (January 2005 cup tie v St Johnstone).

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ictchris said:

How many grounds have you seen Caley Thistle play at?  Saw this discussed on P&B, thought it was an interesting question.

Can’t say I noticed that 😂😂😂

14 minutes ago, ictchris said:

I have seen us play at 40 different grounds.

Premiership - PIttodrie, Celtic Park, Dens Park, Tynecastle, Easter Road, Rugby Park, Almondvale, Fir Park, Ibrox, Victoria Park, McDairmid Park, St Mirren Park.

Championship - Excelsior, Somerset Park, Tannadice, East End, Cappielow, Caledonian Stadium, Firhill, Stark's Park

League One - Recreation Park, Falkikr Stadium, New Douglas Park, Palmerston Park, Forthbank

League Two - New Bayview, Borough Briggs, Ochilview.

Non-league - Station Park (Nairn County), Christie Park (Huntly), Mosset Park (Forres Mechanics), Grant Street Park (Clach), Princess Royal Park (deveronvale), Grant Park (Lossiemouth), New Victoria Park (Newtongrange Star) and Cliftonhill (Albion Rovers).

Neutral - Hampden Park (cup semis and finals)

I've also seen us play as the home team at five different grounds - Telford Street and Caledonian Stadium, as well as Pittodrie (2004/05 ground share), Tannadice (1996 cup tie v Rangers) and Victoria Park (January 2005 cup tie v St Johnstone).

Did you not go to Ainslie Park?

8 hours ago, ictchris said:

My number is sitting at 47 at the moment.

Premiership - Pittodrie, Parkhead, Dens Park, Tynecastle, Easter Road, Rugby Park, Almondvale, Fir Park, Ibrox, Victoria Park, McDIarmid Park, St MIrren Park

Championship - Excelsior,, Gayfield, Somerset Park, Tannadice, East End Park, Cappielow, Caledonian Stadium, Firhill, Stark's Park

League One - Recreation Park, Falkirk Stadium, New Douglas Park, Palmerston, Forthbank

League Two - Broadwood, Borough Briggs, Station Park, Balmoor, Ochilview, Stair Park

Non League - Glebe Park (Brechin), Dudgeon Park(Brora), Grant Street(Clach), Princess Royal Park(Deveronvale), Mosset Park(Forres), Christie Park(Huntly), Kynoch Park(Keith), Grant Park(Lossiemouth), Station Park(Nairn), Mackessack Park(Rothes), Central Park(Cowdenbeath)

Neutral - Hampden Park

Edited by Ritchie Sacramento
Forgot Cowden !
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris for remembering Newtongrange… that makes my tally 56.

All SPFL from 2022-23 except Bonnyrigg, Elgin, Annan, Peterhead, Dumbarton, Meadowbank. Gutted to miss both games at Dumbarton, and for Elgin, had match ticket and train ticket bought but was ill on the day…

Non-league - Spartans, Ness FC, Goathill (Stornoway), Newtongrange, Clach, Brechin, Buckie, Broadwood, Cowden, Gretna, Inverurie, Keith.

Demolished - Telford St, Brockville, Love St, Bayview, Firs Park, Boghead, .

The National Stadium.

Furth of Scotland - Astra, Birmingham City, Fleetwood.

• Like 1

Not been to many, just Victoria Park, and Tynecastle for league games, McDiarmid Park for Challenge cup finals, Parkhead for the League Cup Final, Hampden for the cup finals and last semi, but do have one that most others won't have, Harmsworth Park in Wick for pre season friendlies, including Tom Aldred's last game.

• Well Said 1

I remember Tom Aldred’s last game - he was demented by the midgies (as were we all).   I think he went down the A9 still scratching, and likely swearing too.  

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Nobody’s mentioned the Denmark trip either.

Ok then, I'll mention the first Denmark trip. Pre-season 2004/05/06 i think.

Nykobing-Falster Alliancen. First European goal scored by Liam Fox

Nordjaeland (5 dots to Farum) They were managed by Morten Weighorst at the time 

Here's Jim Rendall's wee write up in the 25 years nostalgia articles

Five dots to Farum ..... The second campaign in the top flight was always going to have an anti-climax feel to it for me after the season started with Inverness in action abroad!
The train down to South Denmark from Copenhagen to Nykobing wasn't exactly with the same anticipation as the trek to Giurgiu, but in 2005 who could have envisaged that ICT would ever play competitive International football! 
Walking around the quaint Danish town I was beginning to fear I might be the only visiting fan! The small posse never bumped into each other ahead of the game, but we were ultimately a collected gathering of five at the first ever ICT game abroad with Don Taylor, his wife and son as well as another lass (mee) lending our support. Nykobing Falsters Alliancen was the rather cumbersome name of an allegedly new Danish super club, but as far as I am aware they have never troubled the top tier. They were to beat ICT on our European bow 2-1 with Liam Fox claiming our first overseas goal. 
We all spent some quality time in Copenhagen, which really is a fabulous city, joined as we were by one more fan, Alex ahead of the local metro train out to Farum. It was a well heeled sleepy hedgerow suburban town at the end of the metro line. It took an age, but we eventually got down to five dots on the train map in the carriage, a phrase that stuck in the legend of the trip! Nordsjaelland's stadium had a hotel, where the team were staying, complete with a bar/restaurant. The pre and post match tipples were scooped here, latterly with the team chomping a meal ahead of having a night on the town in the city. This was a well earned night out as we had just beaten an up and coming top flight Danish team 1-0 on a very warm afternoon. David Proctor gave us the win, as we all enjoyed cinema-esque padded seats, albeit they were getting rather hot! Nordsjaelland would crop up in competitive European football versus Queen of the South a few years later, and only one fan travelled to Scotland, so respect to the six of us who went to Denmark for friendlies!

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Ok then, I'll mention the first Denmark trip. Pre-season 2004/05/06 i think.

Nykobing-Falster Alliancen. First European goal scored by Liam Fox

Nordjaeland (5 dots to Farum) They were managed by Morten Weighorst at the time 

Here's Jim Rendall's wee write up in the 25 years nostalgia articles

Five dots to Farum ..... The second campaign in the top flight was always going to have an anti-climax feel to it for me after the season started with Inverness in action abroad!
The train down to South Denmark from Copenhagen to Nykobing wasn't exactly with the same anticipation as the trek to Giurgiu, but in 2005 who could have envisaged that ICT would ever play competitive International football! 
Walking around the quaint Danish town I was beginning to fear I might be the only visiting fan! The small posse never bumped into each other ahead of the game, but we were ultimately a collected gathering of five at the first ever ICT game abroad with Don Taylor, his wife and son as well as another lass (mee) lending our support. Nykobing Falsters Alliancen was the rather cumbersome name of an allegedly new Danish super club, but as far as I am aware they have never troubled the top tier. They were to beat ICT on our European bow 2-1 with Liam Fox claiming our first overseas goal. 
We all spent some quality time in Copenhagen, which really is a fabulous city, joined as we were by one more fan, Alex ahead of the local metro train out to Farum. It was a well heeled sleepy hedgerow suburban town at the end of the metro line. It took an age, but we eventually got down to five dots on the train map in the carriage, a phrase that stuck in the legend of the trip! Nordsjaelland's stadium had a hotel, where the team were staying, complete with a bar/restaurant. The pre and post match tipples were scooped here, latterly with the team chomping a meal ahead of having a night on the town in the city. This was a well earned night out as we had just beaten an up and coming top flight Danish team 1-0 on a very warm afternoon. David Proctor gave us the win, as we all enjoyed cinema-esque padded seats, albeit they were getting rather hot! Nordsjaelland would crop up in competitive European football versus Queen of the South a few years later, and only one fan travelled to Scotland, so respect to the six of us who went to Denmark for friendlies!

I thought Mr Rendall might feature in a list of well-travelled ICT fans. I see him often but I don’t think he posts on here (cue Jim proving me wrong).

All 2022-23 SPFL grounds, except Airdrieonians, Annan, Bonnyrigg, Dumbarton, FC Edinburgh (Meadowbank), East Fife, Stranraer.  Makes 33 I think, due to ground sharing.

Highland League: Brechin, Buckie, Fraserburgh, Inverurie, Huntly, Forres, Clach, Lossiemouth, Keith, Deveronvale (Been at Caley/ICT games at every HL ground except Wick, Strathspey and Turriff) 

Lowland League: Spartans (Edinburgh City vs ICT), Cowdenbeath, Broadwood (Clyde vs ICT), 

Demolished: Telford Street (RIP), Brockville, Love Street, Old Bayview, Firs Park, Boghead (Clydebank vs ICT)

Randoms:  Bridge of Don Barracks (Aberdeen vs ICT), Cormack Park (Aberdeen vs ICT)

Hampden

Outside Scotland - Astra Giurgiu (missed all the friendly games in England due to holidays)

I think that makes 56.

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

In the 1980s I watched Caley from a stand that is now a category A listed building. Where was I?

Netherdale, Galashiels. Home of Gala Fairydean, now Gala Fairydean Rovers. Wasn't at the Scottish Cup game in question but have visited the ground since to see the main stand which is a modernist masterpiece designed by Peter Womersley. Nicw wee film aired on A View from the Terrace on YouTube if anyone interested.

Yeah that’s the one, famous for the ‘Brutalist’ architecture of the concrete stand.

Caley actually got drawn there twice in the cup in the 1980s and I was there as a lad. 2-0 win in 1984 (but only after Gala should’ve taken the lead but hit the post with a penalty) and then about 5 years later a 2-2 draw followed by a 4-1 win in the replay.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, Caley Mad In Berks said:

No one has mentioned Charlton Athletic (The Valley).  Also, the Bristol Rovers friendly mentioned by IHE wasn't at their own ground. From memory, I think it might have been in Bath?

Yes...I went to Charlton and saw us win 1-0 if I remember...and you and I went to Birmingham City's ground [David Shinnie was in their team]

I've also done Ayr, Livingston, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Partick, Celtic Park [League Cup Final], Stenhousemuir [for Queens Park] Hampden [4 times]of course, Kilmarnock got thwarted by Covid, Hearts called off by High Winds...not bad for a South Londoner [IMHO]

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ymip said:

Netherdale, Galashiels. Home of Gala Fairydean, now Gala Fairydean Rovers. Wasn't at the Scottish Cup game in question but have visited the ground since to see the main stand which is a modernist masterpiece designed by Peter Womersley. Nicw wee film aired on A View from the Terrace on YouTube if anyone interested.

3 hours ago, Yngwie said:

In the 1980s I watched Caley from a stand that is now a category A listed building. Where was I?

Met this guy David Bauckham when he flew all the way up from Sussex to see Gala v Whitehill. Very detailed article.

https://dbauckham.exposure.co/concrete-ambition

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Yes...I went to Charlton and saw us win 1-0 if I remember...and you and I went to Birmingham City's ground [David Shinnie was in their team]

Ah yes, his two brothers Andrew and Graeme also featured 😂

• Funny 1