What is Invernessian?

Difficult one this, in our multicultural society.

There are probably certain criteria which need to be considered to define such a thing as an Invernessian.

BORN in Inverness, I would agree with.

BRED in Inverness, though - what does that mean? Does it mean that you have continued to breed in Inverness i.e. generated your own offspring?

Or does it refer to the location of the original sexual act which resulted in your birth? Neither, I would suggest, is relevant to the definition.

BROUGHT UP may be more appropriate, but how long does this BRINGING UP process have to last for one to qualify as a true Invernessian?

And how about all those good people who have spent all their working lives in Inverness, but didn't happen to be born there - do we exclude them?

Actually, that's why I don't particularly like terms such as Invernessian, Glaswegian, Aberdonian etc - they are very exclusive, by which I mean they have the effect of excluding people. Folk move around a lot more now than they did, say 40 years ago and I think nowadays definitions like these are much less relevant.

Like it or not, this is a multicultural society now and people should be able to identify with the town, or area, where they choose to make their home, rather than being excluded as a result of the location of their birth.

Perhaps it could be decided by way of fulfilling a certain number of criteria like:-

* Born in Inverness.

* Resident in Inverness for x years

* Resident in Inverness since y years of age.

* A certain number of grandparents who were Invernessian.

* Adopting Inverness as the sole place with which to identify.

* Ability to articulate statements like "Howyadooen" and "Achyerseenitmun howsyersel."

Then there's the JFK type of "Ich bin ein Invernessian".

In addition there must presumably be various levels of mixed origin.

And of course it must be possible to become disqualified from the status through difficulties such as long term residence in Chorley.

As prob responsible for this topic in another thread...........as  have said.............a TRUE Invernessian (im my opinion, as it is by no means a science) is someone born and raised in inverness only. If pushed for a definition (as i was in the other thread) thts the answer ad give. So am wi you IHE.

I would be curious to see how many "true Invernessians" live in inverness these days.

Also, for the reocrd, I have nothing against incomers.........but some of the ones I have stumbled across (mainly eastern europeans) have been very ignorant individuals and generally not nice ppl! We are force fed this line about intergration and tolerance toward them, but I know am not alone here when I say, there seems to be a reluctance on their part in a high number of cases.

This is a personal view based on my own and other pepoples experiences and is no way a  decleration of discrimination or prejudice based on race!!

Would just like to also state that over the years, I have spent a lot of time in the company of ethnic people in a social setting, thro choice! Just felt i wanted to add this incase my previous post is on some way mis-interpreted as having racial untertones by some people on here.

I have also gone on record among freinds that i rekon the most gorgeous gals (IMO) are from non-white background.

Perhaps it could be decided by way of fulfilling a certain number of criteria like:-

* Born in Inverness.

* Resident in Inverness for x years

* Resident in Inverness since y years of age.

* A certain number of grandparents who were Invernessian.

* Adopting Inverness as the sole place with which to identify.

* Ability to articulate statements like "Howyadooen" and "Achyerseenitmun howsyersel."

Whatever way you determine the answer, some people are clearly more Invernessian than others. It's not as simple as yes or no.

Criteria like the above ones could be assessed and weighted, with the outcome expressed as a score would allow you to say for example "I am 64% Invernessian". [NERD ALERT!]

On Smee's criteria I am not an Invernessian since a lived in Wick from 2 weeks old until I was 2 years old and indeed only one of my four grandparents came from Inverness.

But if I'm not an Invernessian, what am I? PLEASE don't say Wick!!!!

"All Invernessians are equal, but some Invernessians are more equal than others."

Charles... I was merely expressing my support of IHE's definition of a TRUE Invernessian. Based on wat you sed........if you were born here and away for 2 yrs, but spent the rest of yer formative years in Inverness, then i would afford you the title of Invernessian. As i did say, its not a science!!

I wasn't born in Inverness, though I grew up in Inverness and always called it home. Do I call myself an invernessian? no! To me you have to be born in the place to lay claim to that tag. And I can't really believe that I have agreed with IHE .......... think I need to lie down  :confused06:

Noo ehm havin an identity crisis,  :019: :019: eh thought i knew who eh wiz,nae bather, nae doobts,but reading this.........................

born in Belfast,few years in Yorkshire,brought up in Dundee,now lived near half meh life in Sneck.....Whit does that make me?????

Guess eh'm multi cultural eh?

Oh dear, perhaps one of these instances where you can't see the poster's face, only read the words.

I really hope nobody thought I was getting grumpy at Smee's definition of an Invernessian... quite the contrary, I was actually having a semi humourous muse over what I might be if I didn't qualify!

Similarly the "apologies to George Orwell" bit was merely a joke along these lines.

So was the reference to "long term residence in Chorley".

I hope people haven't been taking me too seriously on this thread.

(Also, if I fall short on the Granny Count, my one Invernessian granny was a Merkincher and they count double!)

def;A true Invernesian is someone who is born in Inverness on the east side of the Ness as that's where the city centre is !!! :004: :004: :004: Technically the west side of the Ness is effectively the Black Isle !!!! :004: Furthermore being born in the east side of Inverness immediately qualifies one to support the might Jags !!!

As such I can truly claim to be a born'n'bred red'n'black Invernesian !!! :021:

Guest Atholl

def;A true Invernesian is someone who is born in Inverness on the east side of the Ness as that's where the city centre is !!! :004: :004: :004: Technically the west side of the Ness is effectively the Black Isle !!!! :004: Furthermore being born in the east side of Inverness immediately qualifies one to support the might Jags !!!

:015:

Having attended both Merkinch and Hilton Primary Schools...relatively unscathed..... I feel a bit of a nomad (the wheels of my house do not go round n round)  :004: :004:but can concur there are two distinct types of Invernessians and I have no doubt there will be a few Westies with something to say about being called Black Islers... I can only recommend they check the foundations of their house to check whether they are indeed "true" Invernessians.. If they can relocate within 48 hours they may well have Genealogical links to Dingwall..  :014: :004:

**** im a true merkincher, nevermind invernessianer

semi seriously id identify a merkinchite as anybody who has experienced prejiduce or vilification because they were brought up or lived in the ferry/wyvis place/grant street areas, which im sure mustve been spoken about on here in one of the other memories topics!  also you have to have once considered going between the thornbush inn, clach club, locheil and back again a night out... actually that wouldnt include me as im not 40  :017:

ill probably never work in inverness again but i dont think i could ever identify myself as anything other than invernessian, especially (as scotty said on the last topic) to other scottish people.  its the only town on the planet im ever likely to feel goosebumps when driving into after being away for a few months!

Guest sophia

Clacher, I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

I used to get euphoric driving northwards over the border and also near Pitlochry [actually nearer Dunkeld] where the A9 takes a right and it feel for a moment that you are driving straight into the hills that suddenly fill your windscreen.

Coming home.

You are an Invernessian, or any other ian, if you feel at home there.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have replaced my computer over here in Latvia catching up on all the banter. I claim to be a true Inernessian having being born and brought up in Inverness, although I left to join the RN  later well 20 years old.

I do remember the chipper at the bottom of Stephens Brae as well, and also Mr Bernadi's shop, what was the bar next door called??? Plough

What nonsense!  It's a well known fact that the west end of anywhere is where people aspire to be - London, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc etc.    The East End is always a dump - London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness etc etc. 

Always lived on the west side of the river and proud of it.  :001:

• 3 weeks later...

Bannerman --clearly having been born in Wick you are  definitely WICK-ED.

Latviaman,before I was married --nine years ago I made love to a Latvian woman. Is that good? She said I was an oldie but hottie but left the apartment, never to return, shortly afterwards and at the door told me "I owe you" ? Was that nice?

She also gave me an insect trapped in a teardrop of amber from the beach at Riga to remember her by. I believe Amber is big in Riga.Is that an appropriate gift since she  now has a Russian boyfriend in North Vancouver who , by all accounts , works a a car salesman, wears a leather jacket and looks furtive. Do you think that she has done the right thing?

Just asking . Ha!?    :016: :sillywave:

• 2 weeks later...

A true Invernessian will always be recognisable by the unique way he or she will use and pronounce "right eenuff", and "how you doeen, mun?" Plus various ingenious ways they will add "ie" to the end of every possible word eg mannie, cuppie, wifie etc. A literary heritage to proud of, imho.