Alan Ball......

maimie

just heard that Alan Ball died this morning aged 61.

A good footballer, he had his troubles to seek as a manager and wasn't best liked by the Scots!

I listened to a tribute programme on Radio Scotland a few weeks ago at the anniversary of our Wembley 3 2 win.  He went on at great length about Jim Baxter's performance on that day.  He said half of him was thinking " How do I get the ball off that bugger" and the other half wanted to applaud.  He was full of admiration for Slim and the whole team that day.  Seldom do you hear that kind of tribute from an opposition player.

How sad the hear of his passing away. I will always remember his squeaky voice when being interviewed and was the butt of many a joke when I was a lad. 61 is no age to leave this world - condolences to all his Friends and family.

He had a world cup winners medal too,.......1966 I think!!  :004: :023:

Alan Ball RIP

Your no wrong Gringo

THEY DONT MAKE EM LIKE THAT NO MORE

But then along came the new world champions:

Scotland: Simpson (Celtic), Gemmell (Celtic), McCreadie (Chelsea), Greig (Rangers), McKinnon (Rangers), Baxter (Sunderland), Wallace (Celtic), Bremner (Leeds), McCalliog (Sheffield Wed), Law (Manchester Utd), Lennox (Celtic).

According to the BBC he was not so terrible. Had a fair bit of success saving two teams form relgation and was instrumental in taking one into the Premiership as I recall.

Very well loved player, very "bouncy" personality, highly skilled without pace but did not need it since his skill was outstanding.

Initially a grafter and a tousy fearless fighter he developed into "the best one touch player" around towards the end of his career. His International career was cut short at one point for an unspecified reason.

In 2005 he auctioned off his World Cup medals and some other ones for approximately $120,000  pounds  to help his family.  :023:

Spoke to someone today who knew Ball at Southampton, said he was a good guy had alot of time for the fans and was very down to earth, loved his football  and never turned down an invitation to anything he was invited to if possible.

Heard Alan Ball on the BBC Scotland podcast for 30 years after Wembely 67. Came over as a nice guy, no chips and admirer of Scots on the day....worth a listen. World Champions can do that kind of thing!

RIP Alan Ball