Play ground/street games

dumpmaster

What are your memories of playground games and games that you used to play with other kids on your street?

I used to love playing British bulldogs in school and good old hide and seek ,but can anyone remember a game called " Treason "  or " Foxes and Hounds " ?

I think its quite sad that you dont see kids playing these type of games much anymore, as they would rather watch a DVD or use computer game instead

:024:

Yup.. thought that one would provoke a few questions. I can't quite remember the details but I think it involved someone going out to the front and facing the rest of the group and turning through 360 degrees whilst incanting "123 Victoria". I think a ball may have been thrown or people had to move out of place quickly and unseen but I'm a bit hazy on the details. That's possibly because it may have been a "girlie" game and, honest, I wasn't too much into them (the games I mean).

War.

Cowboys and Indians.

Under-tig.

Winding up Ann MacIntosh. (Name changed to protect identity of very large girl with ready fists!)

The Cat's got the Measles. (Involved removing clothes - subsequently banned by the headie.) ('course we didn't have perverts in them days . . . .)

Chinese skipping.

Beating up the class runt.

Aaaah the memories!

123 Victoria involved one person standing at the front guarding the den and numerous others whose aim was to move towards the den without being seen by that person when he or she turned round for the length of time it took to say "123 Victoria", turning back quickly to see anyone moving. If spotted you went to the back and started again. The winner was the first to reach the den, unseen.

Thank you buckett. I'd forgotten the details of that one. I'm wondering if the version I saw involved the "guard" throwing a ball up in the air and catching it again at the end of the turn... to take their eyes off the encroaching challengers a bit more.

"War" to us baby boomers was, of course, an inevitable extrapolation of what our fathers had done to the Germans or the Japs depending on which theatre they'd been in.

The best War games I ever had were at the "back of Kavvies" (Kavvies later becoming as noted Caley Rebel) in the waste ground behind St. Valery Ave in among the whin bushes. Sometimes it was the Japs, sometimes it was the Huns but, like John Wayne (except when he was at The Alamo) the good guys always won.

I was never very good at impersonating a machine gun - which, unlike most Brtish infantrymen, we all seemed to carry, none of your crappy 303s - but ur,ur,ur,ur,ur,ur seemed just about to do it.

Remember in Commando comics when Germans used to die with an "Aargh" but with Japs it was "Aieee".

Remember in Commando comics when Germans used to die with an "Aargh" but with Japs it was "Aieee".

I noticed that too. In fact, never having done any German at school, I got through a 4 day break in Berlin a couple of years ago on the strength of Commando comics alone.

Mind you I got some funny looks asking for 'Zwei Bier, Britischer Schweinhund!' and 'Cafe Schwartz, Schnell, Schnell, Gott in Himmel, Donner und Blitzen!'.

• 1 month later...

Had a barbecue last Tuesday which was followed by a game of rounders out the back (behind St Valery).  Always amazes me how much the rules can change during even a single game.  I even managed to break a pane of glass on the greenhouse, although it wasn't with the rounders ball, it was with a kids plastic football which I kicked in temper after some dodgy umpiring.

Scarlet Pimple,

How about a game of ''durbs?'' but no ''steelies'' or'' peechies'' maybe a game of ''punkie'' later!.

Canuck.

Kick the Can, Blind Mans Bluff, Red Rover and good old Leapfrog.

I also have recollection of playing a game with some other kids whilst on holiday called "Smear the Queer" - it was like dodgeball in reverse where one person had the ball and the object of the game was to be the one to hold on to it the longest.  Anything was deemed acceptable when it came to getting the ball off the "Queer".

At school we used to play a game with coins, you had to throw a coin at a wall and the object of the game was to get your coin to land closest to the wall, closest coin won all the others. Cant remember if this game had a name.

Also we used to play Off Ground Touch, if you were touched you were on it, but you couldnt be touched if you managed to get off the ground.

Feechie tig was aye big down our way and could induce mild hysteria in girls at the thought of getting the feechs aff the less hygenic pupils in the school,also Chickenellie,which was the local name for chap door run.....mind many's a Victor Meldrew waving his fist and calling greetings to us!!!

Feechie tig was aye big down our way and could induce mild hysteria in girls at the thought of getting the feechs aff the less hygenic pupils in the school,also Chickenellie,which was the local name for chap door run.....mind many's a Victor Meldrew waving his fist and calling greetings to us!!!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: - I am trying so hard to not make a comment about Dundee and the "less hygenic pupils" ......  trying ....  :crazy07: ......  :crazy07: .........  :crazy07:

At school we used to play a game with coins, you had to throw a coin at a wall and the object of the game was to get your coin to land closest to the wall, closest coin won all the others. Cant remember if this game had a name.

Also we used to play Off Ground Touch, if you were touched you were on it, but you couldnt be touched if you managed to get off the ground.

We called them pitch and toss, and shipwrecked  :014:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...