Cathkin Park

[img width=600 height=284]http://www.apwj49.dsl.pipex.com/cathkin20.jpg

was here today in the wind and rain for the first time (been meaning to visit for about 5 years since hearing the place existed)

it was in a better setting and bigger than i was expecting, great looking old ground and a massive warning to clubs all over the country not to let property developers take over your team.

so i was goign to ask, have any of you old f#ckers ever been to a game there back in the early sixties?

CH2  When I was a student at Glasgow Uni in the early 60s, I used to go to watch Third Lanark, Clyde or Partick Thistle Nil, on a fairly regular basis, as a better option than watching OF.  Having said that, I must admit to being in Ibrox for a European match in about 59 or 60 with c 90,000 others.

theres a game today (saturday) to mark 40 years since their demise

2pm kick off.  third lanark v queens park, cathkin park (!)

shame the games on at 2pm as it wouldve made an excellent alternative to the fa cup final, had i not been going to the st mirren game

clicked on rigs link.. has anybody got a scoobies why glasgow city council decided to plant trees on the terracing?

• 2 weeks later...

I will never forget Third Lanark F.C. --they Banked with The Royal Bank of Scotland when I was in the Inspectors Department of the Bank just before they went under.

The Manager of the Govan (I think it was) Branch of the Bank was off for a week or so and I was sent there to hold the fort. 

In walks Bill Hiddleston ( I think) with tears just about coming out of his eyes and asked for an additional 10,000 quid to pay a few bills for the club. The man had humility and I had a heart.

I broke out in a sweat knowing that if I refused they might go down and knowing that if I did give him what he asked for  I might be in deep trouble with the beaks at Head Office.

So what did I do?... I thought of the Wilfred Pickles show on the radio a long time ago and ......I gave them the money Barney . Even then football was important to me and there was no way I was going to be the one to put old Third Lanark to the sword.

Did I do the right thing? Dunno...but I survived so I assume that the RBS must have been well secured for the overdraft. S.O.B.'s  --I know they did not suffer.

Scarlet

• 2 months later...
Guest BigPieMorayDosser

I'm an ex Bank Inspector myself (BoS in my case).

Sad to think that TLRV went under for a mere 70k or so, when you think of the working overdraft most of the SPL/SFL currently have !

There were less trees/bushes during my 1st visit to Cathkin Park, and I agree with other posters that it was rather eerie. Purposely I went up the banking steps which lead to the old east terrace. Approaching the brow I began to see the magnitude of the place, albeit the main stand had gone, but banking on 3 sides gave one an impression of what once was.

You could almost feel the presence of thousands of lost souls, those who stood and cheered their team.

Sad, very sad indeed.

It's worth taking a look at Benburb Juniors (Tinto Park) for the same reasons. You can see it must have been some place in its heyday.

Next time we play at Ibrox take a walk along for a look, it's only about half a mile if I remember.

I can remember (vaguely) Third Lanark playing Caley in a Cup tie? at Telford Street.  One of my friends had a brother-in-law who was a TL supporter and the whole family joined us in the Stand. 

Unfortunately when TL scored, he stood up and shouted for them, much to the dismay of all those around him (including his family!).  I think it was not long afterwards that TL went to the wall (as they say) and he didn't mention them again!

Memories!  Vague memories!