Telford Street Park - were you caught on film?

There is a photo currently being auctioned on e-bay of Telford Street Park taken at a friendly against Hibs in the summer of 1981 - I am fairly sure I was there - looks like it might have been a warm day - even CB would only have been a young teacher then  :003:

You don't see many kids sitting behind the goals these days 

76ca_1_b.JPG

Isn't the wee guy on the right wearing the ICT top from 2004-6 though? :023:

The 1981 game was 1/8/81 as I have the programme. The score was possibly 0-2 as the game the following year ended 1-3 on 7/8/82 with Derek Dewar scoring for Caley.

Mike Edwards' column in yesterday's Courier is well worth a look. Towards the end of it he reflects on how difficult he still finds it going down Telford Street in its recent much changed state and reflects on days gone by in the Howden End.

But unfortunately his memory seems to fail him in the very last sentence when he refers to the smell of the "uisge beatha" fumes from the distillery.

Come on Mike.... we all know the Distillery smelled but in the Howden End the source of the "uisge beatha" fumes was a lot closer than that!

The guy lying down in the bottom right hand corner is James Jack (aged about 13 in the photo), still residing around the Bruce Gardens area, and another good old  Caley lad who wouldn't be seen dead at the dump.

Still has the same haircut too, last time i saw him.  :015:

Mantis showing his age once again, given that the term "ethyl alcohol" was largely replaced by "ethanol" around the 1960s.

(The other stuff to which Mantis indirectly alludes is now called "methanol" but in his day was probably "wood spirit".)

Mind you, trust a science teacher to be an authority on alcohol, eth or meth or otherwise  :010:

Reminds me of a physics teacher from our neck of the woods- had his lunchtime xmas end of term 'session', then got a lift to carry on the refreshment somewhere else.

When the car was stopped at the traffic lights, he suddenly felt that he had to spew, so he opened the car door and had a technicolor yawn into the gutter.

Whereupon a 14 year old girl, passing with her mother, remarked 'Oh look, there's Mr **** !'

There's also the true story of this guy (and I genuinely don't know who it was) who had been at a teachers' end of term do which finished up in soembody's house in Lochardil. When it was time to go, he weaved off on his merry way but then discovered he'd left his own house keys at the party. He headed back through the fairly homogeneous housing stock of Lochardil, headed up the garden path and rang the bell. No answer. Rang it again. No answer. And again. Just as he was realising that the house seemed to be in complete darkness, the door opened, the guy realised that he was face to face with a complete stranger because he was at the wrong house... and promptly spewed up on the doorstep.

Then there was the time that some other chap was having a party in his house so his wife, fearful of a dreadful spewey mess, put bleach down the toilet and the drain in the bathroom sink. She had anticipated correctly and Hughie, Bert and Ralph were indeed duly summoned from the depths of the plumbing system. But what she HADN'T realised was that vomit is acidic and reacts with bleach to produce clouds of chlorine gas!

So don't pee in a bleached bog until you've flushed it first or it will be just like on the Somme.

Guest Jock Watt

All this talk of spewing reminds me of one Hogmanay when, being already "under the weather" and being offered a chunk of  black bun in what was a VERY hot lounge room, I made a dash to the kitchen and was quite proud of myself for making it to the kitchen sink - until I realised that the spuds for the next day's dinner was in there, already peeled for dinner on the 1st !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I never- don't you learn something every day from that google thing.

So meths is not methyl alcohol, it's just denatured ethanol- to stop people drinking it. I thought wood spirit meant turps, but not so!

You know, chemistry was the only O Grade I ever failed. The teacher was such a sarcastic bully I just gave up trying in S3.

He used to sit in the cupboard smoking and drinking coffee with a young female teacher, then he'd come out, catch you at some imagined sin, and thump your funny bone down on the lab bench. Then one day he went on about how he found out in the staffroom that I was good at every other subject except his. Imagine that happening nowadays. Maybe there's still time for me to sue the council  :023:

To my surprise I did some chemistry later in life as part of an OU course and found I enjoyed it.

• 2 months later...

the picture seems to be taken in the old distellary end. it seems to be a little dark and theres a pole on the left side of the picture. could someone please tell me if this means there was a roof in that end at one point?

i was only in telford street afew times between 1995 and 1996 when i started going to watch ICT aged 6/7 and i certainly remember that there wasnt a roof over the old distellery end then.

There was certainly a corrugated iron roof there in the 60s. I started attending Telford Street regularly again in the 80s and it was gone by then.

On the subject of "caught on film" I've been wading through TV footage of stuff for the Legends' Night and it includes some wonderful material from Telford Street. I even came across a closeup sequence of my then 8 year old son at the  Arbroath game in 1994 and he was wearing his MacRae and **** Caley strip. Dad maybe deserves some criticism from ex Jaggies for allowing him to wear a Caledonian strip at a CT match... but in reality, it wasn't all that different from what the CT team wore in that first season!

I think the rather dodgy roof on the distillery end was taken down in mid to late 80s. It was a fekin death trap as far back as I remember between the rusty structure and the slippy rotten wood that was used as the terracing.

Smee, you're right. Clach Park is the biggest capacity ground there's ever been in Inverness (10K plus standing). In the good old days before Clach had to sell a chunk of the park in 1990 to cover debts, there was the main stand (which "spontaneously combusted" under still unestablished circumstances around 1988), then to the left of it looking out, the wineshed which is still there and on the other side another covered enclosure which disappeared on sale of that section of land.