Making jam . . .

Guest Jock Watt

Guest Jock Watt

Aye well - who remembers going picking blaeberries/raspberries etc. for our Ma to make jam with ?

Where were the best places to find them ?  Out near Bunchrew, next to the distillery next to the Caley Park, or up one of the Craigs ?

On the flanks of Dunain or Phadrig were great places for blaeberries.  I mind, with my brother, Ally, filling one of the wicker sort of basket that usually contained tomatoes (remember them?) with enough for jars and jars of jam and with our mouths purple with the one or two that had managed to find their way into our mouths !!

I'm attaching a photo of Sandy MacRae, provost of Dingwall for many years and my boss at the Highland News and Football Times (remember that newspaper?).

• 1 month later...

Aye but who went Raspberry picking to lentran ? or Cantraybruich ? ( canna spell that word)  , i remember taking a packed lunch for the day & setting off from the shops in Laurel Avenue , a bus used to collect us at about 8 in the morning & that was you till about 5 at night .

I think it was 3p for a punnet & 36p if you filled a tray , i was delighted to make around £2 in a day !