Supporters Trust Football Forum - 27th April

DJS

The meeting at the stadium next Thursday night will start at 7.30pm. It will start with an update on trust activities and move on as swiftly as possible to the football forum which will be along the lines of the one held last November. The panel this time will consist of club chairman, David Sutherland, Charlie Christie, Ross Tokely and trust chairman, Les Kidger. Bill McAllister will once again chair the event.

This event is for trust members only though it will be possible for new members to join the trust on the night.

Thanks L_G. The last one was really good and I'm sure this one will be no different.

Speaking to one or two folks in the Innes yesterday they were saying they would like to come along but were not trust members. No problem, just come along and join on the night. The bar will be open from 6.45pm and trust treasurer, Eddie Adie will happily take your tenner to join (or fiver if you're a youngster). So get down in good time buy yourself a pint and join up. Meeting starts at 7.30pm.

Caley D, you're sounding a bit embittered there.

In what way?

I am a Trust Member so if I want to attend I can, nothing for me to be "embittered" about.

There's bound to be mistakes made and a learning process for all concerned when a new entity is getting off the ground.

So you are in agreement that having a closed shop is a mistake?

I raised my concerns before and after the last fan forum on this matter and am merely doing so again. I will continue to raise it until someone chooses to listen and take action.

Give the Trust a chance, surely it can only be a positive development.

I don't see how giving the impression that the Trust is a closed shop or trying to bribe people into joining by restricting access to a "FANS" forum can be a positive development.

I'm not suggesting that the this impression is being created deliberately or with any intent but The Trust is constitutionally bound to act for the benefit of the entire community which is served by the club and not only the Trust members and organising an event such as this which is open to members only breaches that, IMO.

I believe in the concept of Supporters Trusts and encourage everyone to join and have their say and to take part in developing the trust but people should not be bribed or coerced into joining in this manner.

Would you buy a sealed box for £10 without knowing what was in it?

I don't have a problem with the way it is operating. I think it's quite a good recruiting mechanism - rather than bribery. I thoroughly enjoyed the forum and asked my other half if he would like to go this time, but he will need to join the trust. He plans to join anyway - so this will give him the perfect opportunity. The trust have a few events coming up which are open to everyone, but the forum is quite good as members only - restricts numbers too, which is necessary with the venue.

As far as the trust goes, I will wait to see what it brings as it's still in it's infancy. I do have one or two concerns but hopefully they will be okay and the trust will be the success it deserves.

The meeting this Thursday night is in response to Trust members asking the board to keep them informed regularly about the trust plans and activities. While we already communicate via our quarterly newsletter and web site, we feel that meeting at least twice a year with the trust members is desirable and beneficial.

While the trust is not a 'closed shop' and is open to all, we do take on board comments from non members and regularly assist them with any queries or questions they bring to us, we are there for the benefit of the whole support of ICT.

The events we are organising are for the most part open to all (Like the trust day at dens park in February) and the up and coming family day at Rollerbowl.

Regards

Les

The event at Dens was open to Trust members and guests plus Supporters Club members and guests. In addition, I made it clear that if anybody else who did not fall into these categories wanted to come along they should get in touch and something would be sorted out. A number did exactly that and were there at Dens.

Basically, no Caley Thistle supporter who expressed a desire to be there, or who turned up on the day, was refused admission. The cost of admission (£1) simply covered the cost of soup and pies supplied by Dee4Life.

Bottom line was that the event exceeded ICTST's and Dee4Life's expectations and it is very likely to be repeated next season.

The meeting at Dens was not advertised as being open to all. It seems things are only open to all if people are being asked to put a hand in their pocket.

There might also have been a problem with the 'open to all' bit here too as space was limited and if everyone that attended the game had wanted to go they would not have been able to.

the Dee4life guys had said in the first instance that it would be open for Trust members only but given the few members who actually travel we asked could SC members be included and given the circumstances they said yes.

i know where you are coming from CD but some things need to be for members - otherwise where's the incentive for folk to join.

i don't see it as a closed shop and as a member of the Trust and a board member i try to encourage folk to join - not just so they can get into Dens for cheap drink before a game but to increase awareness in the Trust movement and its objectives.

I dont think it is a closed shop ! .... If you can join it, then quite simply it is not a closed shop. I have been accused for years of running a 'closed shop' website, and I use the exact same argument to debunk these claims.

The 'members' club' on the other hand was a closed shop after the first couple of seasons and there was absolutely no way for new supporters/season ticket holders to become a 'member'.... I may not have agreed with the 'closed shop' aspect of it, but I understand why it was the case.

It good to see the various official supporters organisations, including the aforementioned members' club come together under this umbrella that anyone can join if they choose to.

Having been involved in numerous local and national committees over the years in both Football and Pool including the ICT Official Supporters Club, then you quickly realise that you have to do things for your members first and foremost and only for other interested parties if it is possible. If there are costs involved in membership or for 'event entry' then you may give members reduced rates etc. This is normal practice. Giving non-members an opportunity to become part of the organisation by joining is entirely acceptable and as the Trust are saying you can join on the night then I dont see it as closed to anyone .......

Add to that the fact that the trust have already said that they are there for any fan, member or not, to raise concerns or grievances they may have with the club that the trust will (if appropriate) raise on their behalf and I think they are certainly trying to be inclusive.

Perhaps my use of the phrase "closed shop" is a little strong, but my point remains the same. People are less likely to part with £10 to join if they don't get a chance to see what it is all about.

I also agree about the Supporters Club etc having a responsibility to look after their members first, however the Trust is not a "Club", it is an organisation charged with looking after and promoting a better working relationship between the club and the entire community served by the club. Nowhere does it make any reference to acting only in the interests of its members, or that membership should carry any personal benefits.

It's there in black and white in the Trusts Rules

to benefit present and future members of the community served by the Club by promoting encouraging and furthering the game of football as a recreational facility, sporting activity and focus for community involvement

The Society Board is to ensure that the business of the Society is conducted in accordance with these Rules and with the interests of the community and in accordance with any relevant Statements of Best Practise published by Supporters Direct.............

I'm all for encouraging members and have done and still do my bit on that front, but a "FANS FORUM" by it's very name should be open to ALL fans without condition. Nowhere in the definition of a "FAN" have I ever seen it say that to qualify as one you must be a Trust Member.

Another good night. The forum was very informative and fun. Bill McAllister is an excellent MC. Very witty indeed.

A bit of an insight into David Sutherland's role in the SPL comittee which was interesting.

Rossco spoke well as did Charlie, both gave Pele some credit for helping them to where they are today.

Thanks guys for giving up your own time to be there.