Highland League Legends

dumpmaster

Used to relish the Ray Mcintosh / Billy Urquhart partnership for Caley, did they work well together!

Kevin Macdonald was for me the best highland league player i ever saw, Penman was a legend (albeit passed his best) and showed some skills, also played a bit of football....

The Charlie Kennedy - Ray Mackintosh strikeforce at Clach produced a lot of goals, Charlie was a good old fashioned centre forward, up and at em and good in the air, pretty robust chappie, his shinty background stood him in good stead. He used to play centre half in the Strathspey and Badenoch welfare league for Carrbridge in the close season,  perfect man for the job won every header.

Alan Stevenson was the best left winger I saw, skinned every defender in the league when he played for Clach and Thistle converted him to a left wingback in his later years, still quick though.

Charlie Duncan and Ian Cummings were two of my favourites. But it was Huistain(if that's the correct spelling?) Lazenby that I admired most. Great passer, tackler, header and reader of the game. I know he went on to play his football in Australia, Brisbane thistle I think?

David Milroy was a great example for young players to model themselves on and a very good player, servant to the Jags.

My favourite Caley man was Bobby Noble, as I have a strange affinity towards the thugs of football.  :001:

Memories,memories indeed! does anyone know which Inverness welfare league team Charlie Kennedy and Huisdean Lazenby starred  together in at the start of their football '' careers?'' Also the names of other players who played along with them in the same team?  one other member of the team emigrated to Australia. I await some feedback before I answer any entries.

I remember a great headed goal ''Huistie'' scored  against Celtic ( his favourite team) in a friendly match at the Caley Park. Huistie's brother Dave was also a fine player who played for all three Inverness  Highland league teams.

Canuck.

My views were rather biased as a kid regarding this subject. Basically, I thought unless ya played for Caley, ya were pish :crazy07: So, based on that, my fave Caley players from Highland League were,

Billy (the legend) Urquhart

Wilson Robertson

Ray MacIntosh

Kevin Mann

Bob Summers

Martin Lisle

Billy Macdonald

I barely have memories of Andy Penman apart from his yellow tobacco stained fingers. But my old man used to say he was the best player he ever saw in Highland league

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a long shot, but I got an email asking about Richard Palmer who may have played for Caley in the 1940s.

Any of the older fellas have any ideas?

Obviously it was before my time but I thought maybe Charles might remember ripping his breeks climbing the wall one particular day when Palmer scored the winner from the spot, or maybe catching a lemonade bottle flung in the air after a last minute header.

• 2 weeks later...

IHE.....my dad has talked about them guys you mention. didnt Dave Johnson once score 10 goals in a highland league game for caley (possibly vs Fraserburgh as that rings a bell)?

Also Chic Allan died young if i remember correctly.....fell out a window I think?

OK then, I'll mention Pressley. Alan Stevenson tore him three new erses when Clach humped Caley 0-5 at Telford Street in a cup replay. He was soooo torn, he was subbed before half time as Stevo ripped the Caley defence to shreds. :rotflmao:

• 1 month later...