As a new member

Guest dougald

Guest dougald

Can I compliment you on this great site.. what memories they instill.

I went to the Tech school, Neil McNab , on his bike was the PE teacher, great guy.

We had a science teacher who kept his belt / strap over his shoulder, under his jacket, does anyone remember him?

I also remember we took apart a domestic teachers bike at the end of term wrapped it in brown paper and she came out to loads of parcels.

There was also a ammunition scare locally and a teacher stood on the podium in the male area, with a cardboard box at his feet and said , if you have any bullets .. out them in the box, which was treated with shrugged shoulders.

GREAT MEMORIES!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A 3rd year guy at my school brought in a box of bullets- his dad was in the TA or something. He was handing them out to any of his pals who wanted one.

They got to techy and one guy was just putting one in the vice when the teacher saw it and the whole place went mental till they got all the bullets back in  :015:

Before I left for Canada, one of the things I did was to rip down our old (dilapidated) garage and leave it as decking. The garage had been built by my grandfather and he had always said there would be a "surprise" for anyone who tore it down. We got a surprise alright .... two full (and at that time, unopened) boxes of rifle ammunition which were from the 50s (civil defense) and still, believe it or not, in pristine condition due to the sealed vacuum container that gave that satisfying whoosh when opened.

The other surprise was that when we took them to the cop shop beside the college, the desk officer said, "thanks, we get this sort of stuff all the time." Seems that with the amount of building and renovation work going on in town,many people had been finding things like guns and ammunition that now elderly (or deceased) relatives had hidden away after the war or during civil defense days in the 50s.

The archive of Inverness Royal Academy records that in the inter war years... the Age of Appeasement if you like.... the popularity of the school Rifle Club dwindled away to almost nothing. Burt then as 1938 gave way to 1939, and the Munich Agreement began to be exposed for what it really was, for some strange reason the Rifle Club underwent a miraculous revival.

"You can always take one with you," as Churchill once said.

Could you imagine Rifle Clubs in British schools these days?!

It was quite remarkable, wasn't it, how much old ammunition floated around in bygone days. The same was true of general ordnance. There's the quite well known tale of when Kingsmills Park was handed back to Thistle by the Miltary after the war with unused grenades still in the place. A group of lads discovered some one day and a grenade went off, killing one of them and injuring others. One of the injured boys was Bill Reid who became a Director of Clach after the 1990 rescue.

According to the cops when I took the bullets to the station, many of those returning from the war or involved in the civil defense movement after it (both of which were categories that my grandfather fell into), either kept or acquired rifles, revolvers and even heavier equipment (machine guns were also apparently common !!!) ....

according to the cops, this was frequently used to for 'leisure' shooting (deer / grouse or even target shooting) as opposed to crime and in 'modern times' weapons from this era were routinely handed in every week !!

Guest dougald

I am glad my memory is still functioning, ref the bullets at the Old Tech.

Whilst I do appreciate that most are ex Academy on the site, I still enjoy the new banter I had almost forgotten about.

My best memory was pay day on a Friday at the Gellions when Niven Irvine or David would cash a cheque. Was I the only one who got paid by cheque.. I remember other reporters using the service regularly. Mind you this was before Bank Transfers.

My other memorys are off the Stratton Dairy horse and cart, I saw a reference to it in another thread, the good old days, we used to run beside it.. nowadays you wouldn't be allowed out alone.. Sometimes I wish innocence was back

• 1 month later...

Like Scotty if you live in North America long enough it is true that you can get confused by the uses of words and grammar.

When I arrived in Canada over 32 years ago I was dead sure about how to us the English Language . But , for example,Canadians use words like "momentarily" in the sense of "it will take place very soon" as opposed to "existing for a moment of time" and so you gradually seem to morph into the way they talk and frankly you end up very confused at times.

One also does not want to hurt the other guy's feelings so you can't "correct" them since then you are a smart *** and they don't understand you anyway so....what the heck.

Other differences , like a British flat is the same in the U.S. but in Canada it's  an apartment, so all in all it does take a bit of getting used-to. :014:

Bullets are nothing......my old french teacher in High School used to clean his shotgun in class....re assemble it and point it around the class, I kid you not! And he used to give me gun catalogues

Unsuprisingly, the self same teacher later took his own life with a shotgun :029: (after he left teaching)

Guest Jock Watt

Welcome Dougald - afraid most of the people on here were educated at the Academy level - but well done on your attempt at the spelling and the grammar.

You are not a feckin Jeggie as well are you ?

NO, No, NO, IHE, WE ARE NOT -

I, for example (and WHAT (or WATT) an example!) was delighted to attend the famous 'Techie' .

:021:

• 2 months later...

Gosh, yes, memories of the Tech - where I was taught shorthand and touch typing - Vickie Smith was the class teacher and used to clatter our fingers with a ruler - ideal afterwards!? for typing correctly.  If we used an eraser (used the old word! and then realised what it meant nowadays!) he used to say we would all end up scrubbers!  (rhyming slang!?)  he wore rubber soled shoes and would creep along the corridor quietly and then fling open the door to give us a fright.  What a strange man.

The Beast was our English teacher, Happy Harry was another, Miss Reith the French teacher (what a kind soul (sometimes) but who remembers the others?    Miss Swanston, the Deputy Head, who took us on the foreign trips and got lost umpteen times.    What "happy" uncomplicated days!

Eliza I too went to the high school but I had Mrs Smith (wife of Vickie) for typing. I still touch type to this day as she drummed in not looking at the keyboard to us. IHE prove it that the majority of the posters on here are ex academy. I  remember a lot of Caley and Jags fans at school some of whom post on here to this day.

Does anyone remember a Science teacher who kept his tawse over his shoulder, under his jacket .. gosh I hat.him , and Miss Kinnaird who taught French, called Canary as I recall  I also remember a teacher who taught us in the HUTS near the platground and as soon as the weather got good we would say sport and he would drag out a tea chest with cricket gear in it and we would play for the whole period. A lost cause cricket  for most of us but at least it got us out of the huts.

Perhaps I should rephrase and state that most of the educated posters on here are ex Academy. I suspect most ex pupils of the High School or Millburn would have a problem understanding some of the big words.

both of the co-publishers of this site went to the High School  :004: and it never did us any harm  :017: :017: :017: lets face it, spell checkers and a good thesaurus are wonderful inventions  :002: