As a new member

Guest dougald

Did I really type thenks, oh well Vodka here is 2GBP a bottle, am still coming in January but no football, on my dates.

Msge for CB my DEMENTia is reducing (private joke) and Howender my partner tells me if I take my Russian hat to Inverness... she will !! the mind boggles...

Caley D--7 Highers? C.mon CaleyD tell us what you got?

You must be a member of Mensa?  Are you?

When SP was at the Academy the most you could attain was 5 Highers as I recall. University entrance  was 3 Highers and 2 Lowers or a straight 5 Highers.

Mind you , nowadays you can probably get a Higher in Biology, one in Chemistry and one in Physics..... :003:

SP... it was possible to do 7 Highers in Fifth Year in the IRA up until 1969 but for 1970, which was our year, they stopped that and reduced it to 7 so I dropped Latin, keeping up Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, History and French. I didn't do any more in Sixth Year since I had my unconditional and fancied a year's "holiday", spending much of 1970-71 in my mate's Hillman Imp on jaunts to Nairn, Beauly etc. Were yours all in one year or across 5 and 6, D?

Having only been out of school under 3 years ago it already seems like forever, I seriously wonder what it's going to be like when (or rather if) I reach some of your folks' age!    My memories from the IRA include a certain fire which broke out in the chemistry dept and watching the good ol' teachers v pupils football games where there a few dodgy tackles and one particularly memorable clash of heads. pretty **** boring compared to everyone else's stores it must be said.

My memories from the IRA include a certain fire which broke out in the chemistry dept

It wisnae me and it wisnae you, but let's not reveal anything more than that, Richie!! (Trust all is well with you?)

Aye, pretty good thanks. Who'd have thought I'd ditch the Economics and Business lark for music? Best move I ever made, seriously snowed under with bands, projects, recording sessions and all things jazz at the moment but in a good way. And yourself?

Arithmetic was mandatory to get into University in my day (thats' about 1955). And Higher English was also mandatory to get to Uni.

I don't know about Arithmetic--I mean if you can decide that overspending is not good what the heck would be the need for that severe criterion.

And as for Higher English, despite the advantages of mastering the language if you can't do it, if  you just can't do it then  what the heck? That is why spell checkers are so prevalent and needed nowadays.

Right now I am just plain mystified as to why so many young people are closer to their cell phone, oops camera, oops , texter, oops...oops.. than to their mother FFS.

As for my 21 year old stepson I caught him still playing games on his computer at 1.a.m. the other night when he had to get a up and go to work  the same morning. I suppose he had to justifty the $5000 he had just spent on a new computer for heaven's sake. It's his money and he earned it but is this common sense or just mad self-indulgence on a grand scale?At his age I was financially worth  2 shillings and six pence in the gooid old days.

:029:

Are you young, if you enjoy music , play it, i am now living in Latvia and have found out , that the old songs get them over here rocking, so if Rod the Mod comes over he has a revival, mind you I will avoid him...

It's not just about playing music. If you want to get good work in the UK, you have to be seriously good. People think being a session player is like being a rockstar - it's the complete opposite. You need to really have a grasp of almost all styles, you need to be able to sight read, click well with the other band members, to play things PERFECTLY and first time in a studio to a degree of accuracy that most people would never hear or care about to be honest. And you also needs to have the right attitude and personality. There's a big difference in my opinions from playing music as a hobby and making a career out of it. It's still a lot of fun but it's seriously, it's not as simple as that - in my humble opinion it's one of the hardest professions to make a good living from - your exams and grades count for sod all, it's about how good you are, and that is directly related to how many hours a day you spend at it - which is why this forum is bad for my career prospects!

Arithmetic was mandatory to get into University in my day (thats' about 1955). And Higher English was also mandatory to get to Uni.

I don't know about Arithmetic--I mean if you can decide that overspending is not good what the heck would be the need for that severe criterion.

And as for Higher English, despite the advantages of mastering the language if you can't do it, if  you just can't do it then  what the heck? That is why spell checkers are so prevalent and needed nowadays.

Right now I am just plain mystified as to why so many young people are closer to their cell phone, oops camera, oops , texter, oops...oops.. than to their mother FFS.

As for my 21 year old stepson I caught him still playing games on his computer at 1.a.m. the other night when he had to get a up and go to work  the same morning. I suppose he had to justifty the $5000 he had just spent on a new computer for heaven's sake. It's his money and he earned it but is this common sense or just mad self-indulgence on a grand scale?At his age I was financially worth  2 shillings and six pence in the gooid old days.

:029:

A tough one - I have spent more money than i care to think about on music gear in my life, and while it's a passion a lot of that stuff isn't exactly a necessity as i'm a bit of a collector. But one the other hand I watch TV about once every 3 weeks and the TV i watch it on is the biggest heap of crap you've ever seen. So what I ask myself is: is there much difference between me spending all my cash (and time) on things music related and someone doing the same on a computer? The only difference I can really see is that most people look on music as a much more positive thing than computer gaming - but to each individual they're still a passion arn't they?