How many games to earn a testimonial?

PullMyFinger

I dont think there is any hard and fast 'rule' per say ..... Some players get a testimonial after 5 years or 10 years, some get it after a certain number of games and very often senior players will have it built into contracts as a sweetener.

I think the main thing in awarding a testimonial is that the player is deserving of it and Barry Wilson certainly falls into that category for ICT as did Ross Tokely. I would add Grant Munro and Richard Hastings to the list for future testimonials. Richard is entering his 11th season at the club (albeit with a 3 year break in the middle - similar to Barry !), and Grant - believe it or not - is entering his 10th ICT season.

Although we havent yet added all the matches and reports to our stats program you can click on the squad list to see the seasons that all players were signed for, and if you sort the list "by number" you will see the longest serving players at the top of the page. The "numbers" we used were the player numbers issued by Ian Broadfoot in his stats spreadsheets so, for example, Richard was the 16th player to ever sign for the club and is still going strong ..... (Tokely is #41 and Barry is #42)

Normally based on length of service and not games played. Needs SFA approval. Also available for non-playing staff if deserving.

Very interesting, is it not then about time, Mr Cumming, our longest serving member of staff was rewarded with a testimonial? While he is still fit to enjoy the benefits.

Very interesting, is it not then about time, Mr Cumming, our longest serving member of staff was rewarded with a testimonial? While he is still fit to enjoy the benefits.

Thats a very interesting comment worthy of further discussion. Tommy is a crucial cog in the wheel of ICT whether it be his immaculate pitch or whether it be related to kit duties. If any member of staff were to get one, then TC would be the man !!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the last contract Munro signed was a 3 year deal with a Testimonial in the 3rd year (which may actually be next season???)

My understanding is that, unofficially, Grant has been given permission to form a testimonial committee which the club will support. This cannot be written into his contract for taxation reasons. Generally the rules are that if the club give the assurances and do the organizing then monies paid to the player would be liable to income tax, whereas, if the player and his committee do it all, using their own bank account, they are exempt from income tax.

Normally based on length of service and not games played. Needs SFA approval. Also available for non-playing staff if deserving.

Agree with length of service being criteria. Not sure about the non-playing staff bit though. The purpose of testimonials, historically, was to provide players coming to the end of their career with a nest egg to see them through the transition from football to something else. Cant see how non-playing staff would come into the criteria on the grounds that they can work to state retirement age.

I believe the SFA must approve every game in the country that is played by affiliates of the association.

I believe the SFA must approve every game in the country that is played by affiliates of the association.

correct. The friendlies we have organised for the start of the season whether against SFL or HL teams all had to be authorised by the SFA.

Thats a very interesting comment worthy of further discussion. Tommy is a crucial cog in the wheel of ICT whether it be his immaculate pitch or whether it be related to kit duties. If any member of staff were to get one, then TC would be the man !!!

Sure Tommy would love a testamonial, but no sure what would be his best position nowadays,Left back (in the bar) perhaps. :016: 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the last contract Munro signed was a 3 year deal with a Testimonial in the 3rd year (which may actually be next season???)

My understanding is that, unofficially, Grant has been given permission to form a testimonial committee which the club will support. This cannot be written into his contract for taxation reasons. Generally the rules are that if the club give the assurances and do the organizing then monies paid to the player would be liable to income tax, whereas, if the player and his committee do it all, using their own bank account, they are exempt from income tax.

Agree with length of service being criteria. Not sure about the non-playing staff bit though. The purpose of testimonials, historically, was to provide players coming to the end of their career with a nest egg to see them through the transition from football to something else. Cant see how non-playing staff would come into the criteria on the grounds that they can work to state retirement age.

Teddy Scott, the old Aberdeen kitman certainly had a testi some years back but maybe the SFA don't allow this now.

As far as TC is concerned, I think he has called too many people fing aholes even to raise a testi committee  :33:

From memory I believe a club can hold a "testimonial" (benefits match)  for anyone they wish and although the match itself would still need to be sanctioned by the SFA it takes nothing to do with the finance side of it and the proceeds are subject to Tax.

Anyone (person or organisation) which falls under the jurisdiction of the SFA is entitled to a Testimonial provided it is approved by the SFA - as far as I remember there was no hard and fast rules, all the application had to provide was "sufficient reason".  A player is only entitled to one testimonial except in circumstances - e.g they have had one already and then suffer an illness or injury which is career ending.

I had a copy of the SFA Handbook somewhere but I think it is on my other PC.