Our Worst Ever Player

Kingsmills

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of those particular two - Vetle would win hands down as the worst .... or maybe win is too strong a word ... he would probably manage to lose that honour too as he was so bad.

for those wanting to refresh their memories of our former players, go to the main site and click on squad - if you select ALL seasons from the dropdown box you will be able to see a list of every player who has pulled on an ICT shirt ..... we are working on adding the appearance information and profiles for as many as we can, but at leat this will give you a list of names for now  :004:

Has this not been done before?

is it deja vu, or senility .... lets have a poll  :015: :015: :015:

think it was done before on the old SN site but not on here and not for a while so plenty of posters who have never participated in a thread like this  :004:

Harry Chibber... Brian Thomson!? The man was a legend! Scored a barrowload, including the vital goal v Stenhousemuir which gained access to Rangers in the Scottish Cup in 1996 and he was a star in that quarter final at Tannadice as well. He made a stunning debut v Ross County in the Inverness Cup Final in December 1995. Brian Thomson might indeed make the bench in my ICT Legends XI and I hope the Supporters' Trust manage to get him to the Legends' Night in September.

I also happen to think that Mark McCulloch did a more than decent job too in midfield/defence. Obviously I wouldn't judge players entirely by their goals but there was a screamer of an equaliser v Dundee Utd in the Cup in 1998 and a wonderful goal for Caley Thistle at Victoria Park.... although he might just have been playing for County that day! Nope..Mark is nowhere near worth considering here.

Harry Chibber... Brian Thomson!? The man was a legend! Scored a barrowload, including the vital goal v Stenhousemuir which gained access to Rangers in the Scottish Cup in 1996 and he was a star in that quarter final at Tannadice as well. He made a stunning debut v Ross County in the Inverness Cup Final in December 1995. Brian Thomson might indeed make the bench in my ICT Legends XI and I hope the Supporters' Trust manage to get him to the Legends' Night in September.

I also happen to think that Mark McCulloch did a more than decent job too in midfield/defence. Obviously I wouldn't judge players entirely by their goals but there was a screamer of an equaliser v Dundee Utd in the Cup in 1998 and a wonderful goal for Caley Thistle at Victoria Park.... although he might just have been playing for County that day! Nope..Mark is nowhere near worth considering here.

Darran Thomson :003:

McCulloch was just one of those players that never did it for me

.... but the winner is... (drum role) Les Fridge :clapping03: :rotflmao:

... he was so bad that he is actually a legend because of it

Vetle Andersen ane the woeful Marco deBarros

You must be joking! Marco deBarros was one of the very best HL players of recent decades, and for the little time he actually spent on the park for us, he had some flashes of brilliance. I remember one time at Victoria Park he came on as a sub and did a textbook double dragback (a bit like Gabriel Amato for Rangers agaisnt Parma) taking 2 defenders out of the game and unleashed a stunning 25 yard piledriver that was tipped over the bar. If that had gone in it would be up there with the best ICT goals ever.

The problem with Debarros was that he thought he was archie. He was always trying to take on defenders or pull off a fancy trick when a simple pass would do. It worked in the HL, but it was a luxury in the second division.

Vetle Anderson probably doesn't deserve all the stick he gets considering the fact that he was well past his best when he signed for us - he might have been a decent player at his peak. And he did have a couple of good games - away against Motherwell in the Coca Cola cup (when we lost on Penalties) he was one of the best players on the pitch, and at home against Dundee Utd in the Scottish cup he got a standing ovation when he came off.

He had the same issues as Debarros - he tried to show boat all the time. You shouldn't really be trying to pull off Cruyf turns on the edge of your own 18 yard box!

We've been quite lucky. Sergi apart, our managers have been pretty shrewd. I'm sure some of the players listed on this thread could quite easily walk into the Ross County first team squad!

If I had to pick one, I'd say Grassa Bennet was the worst player we ever had. He was slower than an old wifie in front of you at the check outs at Tesco. His defending was comical, he had a habit of pretending to fall over into the path of attackers when they skinned him - what can I say, he was perhaps the only defender in history to turn the game on its head and use the dying swan dive to cheat against attackers! With that creativity alone, perhaps he redeemed himself.

I didn't see any of our first few seasons, but based on the last 10, candidates are :

Andrew Allan

Wayne Addicoat

Rory McAllister

But my overall prize for the worst player goes to one who racked up a baffling number of appearances......Darran Thompson. Whenever he was on the pitch, it was worse than going down to 10 men.