'Inverness hold Niculae talks'

Libero

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could be great, he could be cr@p, he could get injured, he could bugger off down the road after a sensational season .... perhaps this is the risk that a number of posters have said they would like to see Charlie take ?

Express has a quote from him saying he wants to use ICT as a stepping stone club to the old firm.

Take from that what you will

Incidentally watch the goals on his official site. He certainly knows where the goal is

Express has a quote from him saying he wants to use ICT as a stepping stone club to the old firm.

Take from that what you will

That's exactly waht the new guy at Motherwell said!! Bet they are delighted to hear that  :tic01:

MARIUS MADE IN HEAVEN

ICT's swoop for Niculae INVERNESS LATEST

By Craig Swan

INVERNESS CALEY THISTLE are closing in on the biggest signing in the club's history in Romanian star Marius Niculae.

The 26-year-old international striker is in the Highlands discussing a deal.

Niculae, who has scored 12 goals in 28 outings at the highest level for his country, is in Scotland as the club's tie-up with former Romania star Gheorghe "Gica" Popescu bears fruit.

Caley Thistle are currently trying to piece together a contract package for the hitman, who is available on a free transfer after a troubled year at German outfit Mainz.

The figures suggested for Niculae's deal would rip apart Caley Thistle's wage structure but there are hopes a compromise can be reached to keep the player in Scotland.

Niculae is also wanted by Bursaspor but cancelled a scheduled trip to Turkey and redirected to Inverness.

Advertisement

He said: "I've been offered a very big opportunity by Inverness. It is a big deal.

"I'm hoping to get the chance to play well and score a lot of goals in the Scottish league.

"If I can do that, maybe I can move on to a bigger stage in the country or England."

Caley Thistle director of football Graeme Bennett admits the prospect of landing him is mouthwatering for the fans but realises there is still work to be done.

Bennett said: "Signing Niculae would be a major coup for us.

"He is a very high-profile player and his CV is right from the top drawer. When we first discussed the tie-up, we were under the impression it would be more about up-and-coming young players.

"We didn't realise guys of this stature were involved.

"It would be wrong to go overboard at this stage because there is still some things to sort out.

"Even if we could get him over here for a year, it would be terrific for the club."

Niculae was the golden boy of Romanian football with ablistering scoring record for Dinamo Bucharest after making his debut at 16.

Portugal's Sporting Lisbon snapped him up when he was 20 and he spent four years there before moving on to Standard Liege then Mainz.

Daily Ger

This will probably be the tall boy spotted with Rory and Deano, he's 6ft something according to Footie Manager!

Wish we would keep things out the press though

BBC now reporting this as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t..._ct/6268878.stm

Make no mistake if we got him this would be a signifcant signing and one that would instantly banish any lingering thoughts of Dargo. This guy has an excellent footballing CV and a player that, normally, we could only dream of getting.

I am a bit concerned about the "ripping apart" comment regarding wages but within reason I think we should offer a bit more if we have a chance with this guy.

What a signing if we can get him  :clapping03:

Guest TinCanFan

According to this guy's website he has some Uefa Cup experience which could help.

Here's his picture:

What I like more than anything if we do make this signing it will raise the profile off the club and may attract more players and hopefully more fans. It shows that we are an ambitious club and players that previously didn't want to move because of our geography will possibly be more tempted!

Guest samuelbarros

Anthony Stokes basically made Falkirk's season, had them safe in the SPL by Xmas.

Frankly, if we get Niculae and he bangs in a hatful of goals in the autumn, and is then sold on in the January transfer window, that would suit me, considering we'd get a transfer fee to boot.

I also quite like how Grassa seems to be surprised at the calibre of player the Romanian tie-up is already brining forth. Perhaps there's more to come than even he expected in the seasons ahead.

CALEY HOPE TO CLINCH NICULAE DEAL

Romania striker Marius Niculae could join Inverness on their pre-season training trip to Italy this weekend if he accepts an offer to join the Clydesdale Bank Premier League side.

Free agent Niculae has held talks with Caley Thistle and is now talking over the possible transfer with his family.

Inverness director of football Graeme Bennett said: "He is thinking things over but I'm hopeful.

"Chairman Alan Savage and I had a good meeting with him and with 26 caps he's got real quality.

"We want an early answer one way or another as there is a Turkish club also interested. But all going well he could be at our Italian training camp."

Niculae, 26, was released by German side Mainz following their relegation from the Bundesliga at the end of last season.

The former Dinamo Bucharest and Sporting Lisbon player, who played for the Portuguese club in the 2005 UEFA Cup final, has made 28 international appearances and scored 12 goals.

Wonder if he stills lives in Mainz. I've got a friend there who could go and 'encourage' his family to agree....

This would obviously be the biggest and most surprising signing the club has ever made.  A current Romanian internationalist in the prime of his career.  He would be amazing in the SPL, imagine him against Gretna!! haha 

Thinking with my head I can't imagine how we could pull this off,  but please please let us do it!!

We can pull it off if the player is prepared to take something at the top end of ICT wages until such time as he catches the eye of one of the OF or a team in the Premiership or championship .... reading various articles, that is pretty much what Grassa, the Chairman and the player are saying ....

Grassa initially cautions - his financial demands may be too difficult to make

The player says - its a big deal and if i can score a lot of goals i may get a big move

Grassa then says - even if we could get him for a year that would be terrific

sounds like discussions went well and the player is considering the "short term pain for long term gain" aspect of signing for ICT - get his foot in the door of the SPL, score a lot of goals and move for a big payday .... if he does that, then on this occasions we can have no complaints as we will know from the start that this is the ultimate aim.

..... even if we dont get him,  :clapping03: to the Chairman, DoF, and Manager for even trying to do the deal.

Guest stevico64

Marius still lives in Romania, I am the one with the Romanian connections, I was in Romania last week and took him across for the meeting this week, he is s great lad that wants to do well for ICT provided a deal can be done.