Inverness Sports Shops

Guest CALEY108

Guest CALEY108

Turnbull Sports and Coutts??? Always remember having to wait for the new replica caley top due to it never been in stock or constantly sold out :020: :crazy07:

The shop in Inglis Street was MacPherson's until the mid 70s, Leisuropa after that and then I think, Intersport. I still have the Inverness Harriers shoulder bag which I bought from Leisuropa in 1976. It has been used very regularly ever since and is still in excellent shape - the zip even still works. What an item! Don't make them like that these days.

Upstairs in Coutts was like Aladdin's Cave!

What do you say about Turnbull Sports?! Maybe you should ask a few people who worked for him - they would have a few tales to tell. Start with Peter Corbett! Suffice it to say that he overstretched himself by opening more shops, hit the skids, closed the shops, started "network marketing" water purifiers and disappeared from Inverness.

Not enough ex- Red & Blacks on here... The shed at Kingsmills carried an advertising hoarding for Leisuropa on its fascia (you'll remember it, Charles?) long after Intersport had got its mucky chainstore claws into the city. I could see it out my bedroom window. Nowhere upheld outdated institutions quite like Kingsmills: Leisuropa, wooden fire escapes, Jimmy Calder...

Indeed CB "an alladin's cave" is possibly the only way to describe upstairs at Coutts especially to a young football daft child - in the days before sports superstores the most exotic strip would have been something along the lines of Derby County's third strip.

I can remember when I was young being allowed to choose a football top and went for a Bukta yellow and green Hibs away top - why I don't know - it must have been the colours  :023:

Speyside Sports for me in Grantown on Spey.

It's gone now. I bought a set of Woods there many moons ago. 1,2,3 & 4 wood, ?24.10 shillings. Spalding, lovely shining light brown colour.

Couts was the only sports shop for me wen i was wee. The upstairs was great for (or seemed to be) rakes of different teams strips. And also, was great for stocking subbuteo teams and bits and bobs