The Howden End

Guest CALEY108

Guest CALEY108

Calling all Howden Enders out there!!!

What were your fondest/greatest memories of THE most famous enclosure/end in north football

1 Most Memorable Game - Mine was Jan 1990 when we beat Airdrie on penalties in the scottish cup,never experienced an atmosphere quite like that till this day :021:

2 Beating the Jags again and again and again - when did they last win a league game at Telford St

:blah01:

3 The general banter/laughs/atmosphere - something that is still sadly lacking at TCS,maybe it will improve in time or maybe i'm just getting old :024:

4 Beating Elgin and County? - to me just as good a feeling as beatin the jags :021:

5 The pies? They were the best in the Highland League weren't they?

God bless The Howden End

2 Beating the Jags again and again and again - when did they last win a league game at Telford St

:blah01:

You seem conveniently to have forgotten the 1988 Qualifying Cup replay at Telford Street. Caley 0 Jags 3. :blah01:  :blah01:

The Airdrie game must have been a great night. I really regret having to miss it.

Most Memorable Game - Mine was Jan 1990 when we beat Airdrie on penalties in the scottish cup,never experienced an atmosphere quite like that till this day :021:

The first game in Airdrie (2-2) was my first ever Caley match, almost won it too had it not been for a 94th min equalizer! I didn't frequent the Howden End very often so my memories won't be as strong as other hardened Caley boys. I do recall the banter being very good mind.

I have some great memories of the howden end. The Scottish cup game vs St Johnstone where we took em to a replay. That Airdre game you mention. Prob the most nailbiting game of all time, think vs Fraserburgh the last game methinks, where we needed at least a draw to finish the league unbeaten. Were 2-1 down i think and ended up drawing. AN AMAZING FEAT that :clapping03: :clapping03: :021: :021:

I have a habit of missing some of the big moments. I couldn't make the Airdrie game because of family commitments, I couldn't make Celtic Park on 8.2.00 for practical reasons..... and I didn't go to watch Jags v Killie in 1985 because I reckoned the Jags didn't have a  snowball's!

Thistle 0 Caley 1 in the League and Caley 0 Thistle 3 in the Q Cup, both in 1988, were, I believe, watersheds in the pre SFL football history of Inverness and I was at both of them. I also made the St. Johnstone game in 1992, Tannadice in 1996, both cup semis and the replay in 2003 and 2004, the Challenge Cup Final in 2003 and the St. Johnstone game in 2004.

Come to think of it... I've maybe not done too badly after all.....  :003:

I got a very comfy bed from Harveys a while back - where the whole shopping experience was much more enjoyable than anything that may have happened around there in the past (and I feckin hate shopping)  :016:

Random quote from many similar in a short history of Nairn County :

"1968-69 season - As the year progressed Nairn knocked out Caley to secure a place in the Scottish cup, this was the third win over Caley so far that season." :015: :015:

And are still having them......

1 Buckie Thistle 2 1 0 0 3 0 1 0 0 3 0 6 6

2 Inverurie Locos 2 1 0 0 3 2 1 0 0 3 0 4 6

3 Nairn County 2 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 3 1 3 6

4 Keith 2 0 1 0 2 2 1 0 0 3 0 3 4

5 Clachnacuddin 2 0 1 0 3 3 1 0 0 2 0 2 4

6 Wick Academy 3 1 1 0 6 1 0 0 1 1 5 1 4

7 Cove Rangers 1 1 0 0 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 7 3

8 Deveronvale 2 1 0 0 5 1 0 0 1 2 3 3 3

9 Brora 3 0 0 1 0 3 0 2 0 2 2 -3 2

10 Rothes 2 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 1

11 Forres Mechanics 2 0 0 1 0 2 0 1 0 2 2 -2 1

12 Huntly 2 0 0 1 0 3 0 1 0 3 3 -3 1

13 Fraserburgh 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 -3 0

14 Lossiemouth 2 0 0 1 0 3 0 0 1 0 5 -8 0

15 Fort William 2 0 0 1 1 3 0 0 1 1 8 -9 0

Ah......the stroll to chipper at half time. Another part of being a Caley fan. IN the days wen u get the chips in newspaper and cooked in proper chip fat. Tasted better than the rubbish they serve these days

It was a fantastic atmosphere in the Howden End for the Airdrie game.  I remember going mad when we won, and ended up loosing the contents of my coat pockets - including my house keys.  The St Johnston game also had an excellent atmosphere.

It was a tradition for Caley to shoot towards the Howden End in the second half - and I think the support coming from the Howden End spured  the team on to get many an important goal when it was needed.

Charles--you done well mun.

Yes but the footie was different and tictacs also seemed a whole lot different. There were always (it seemed) at least five forwards in full flight and you could see every thrilling spill

Being closer to the action meant you could see the  elbow grease on the legs and the sweat flying off Bobbie Bolt's toothless face was all grist to the mill. LOL

Changed days now I fear but that's progress I guess. Including the ferocious prices...  as a youngster growing up  I paid sixpence at the gate and adults a bob--it was 2 and six for the stand. My oh my it  is hardly credible nowadays. :023:

as a youngster growing up  I paid sixpence at the gate and adults a bob--it was 2 and six for the stand.

SP - money must've been easier come by in the metropolis of sneck. I don't think I ever paid to get into Station Park until I was old enough to start my own paper round. A run and jump on an old tree stump and over the hospital wall we'd go. If anybody spotted you popping up there, you could always jump back down, run round to Gordon's mill and jump the wall there then pop out through the bushes behind the goal. I think I'll take a recce down round TCS when I get back and see if I can spot an accessible bit of wall and start repeating the trick. At over 20 squid a ticket, it's worth the risk. ?20+ to go to the football - who'dve thunk it.

I remember a few moments also while in the Howden end !

I mind playing Buckie in the early eighties and some of the visiting fans getting a wee bit big for their boots, and they were all for starting a scrap with some of the caley fans , until some bobby wandered in with the biggest police dog I have ever seen ( in fact it may have been a shetland pony it was that big) and you should have seen the Buckie would be troublmakers turn into rather nervous wee boys, as soon as the dog and handler stood beside them.

I also remember playing Rangers in the scottish cup and hearing Derek Johnstone tell Peter Mcloy to stop kicking the Effing ball so far as he couldn't get near it because Bob Summers kept kicking him every time he went near the 18 yard box.

Oh happy days

Yes but the footie was different and tictacs also seemed a whole lot different. There were always (it seemed) at least five forwards in full flight and you could see every thrilling spill

Being closer to the action meant you could see the  elbow grease on the legs and the sweat flying off Bobbie Bolt's toothless face was all grist to the mill. LOL

Changed days now I fear but that's progress I guess. Including the ferocious prices...  as a youngster growing up  I paid sixpence at the gate and adults a bob--it was 2 and six for the stand. My oh my it  is hardly credible nowadays. :023:

Yes, happy days SP.  As youngsters we always used to change ends at half time so we could watch Caley's goals going in close up.  Am I right that there used to be very few bookings, and sendings off were an absolute rarity?

Not long before the merger, a soaking wet day. Caley 2 up at half time and cruising. The Jags scored twice to equalise then Wilsie Robertson scored a 25 yard screamer past Jim Calder in injury time at the Howden End to the delight of all the completely dry Caley fans.  :rotflmao:

I think it was the very last Caley v. Thistle game before the merger - evening kick-off and I was flying out to the Far East the next day to do a few months work. So I knew it was the last Caley game I'd ever see.

Billy Urquhart headed the only goal in the second half. Come to think of it, I was at the Distillery End at the time. Must have been in the Howden End in the first half.

And the occasion was marred by the fact it was a pretty pish game!

That's how I remember it anyway.

I think it was the very last Caley v. Thistle game before the merger - evening kick-off and I was flying out to the Far East the next day to do a few months work. So I knew it was the last Caley game I'd ever see.

Billy Urquhart headed the only goal in the second half. Come to think of it, I was at the Distillery End at the time. Must have been in the Howden End in the first half.

And the occasion was marred by the fact it was a pretty pish game!

That's how I remember it anyway.

Wasnt that the game where Caley played THE LEGEND (Billy Urquart) without him actually been registred to play as he had been retired:015: :015:

Aye, they were fined ?200 which Jimmy Falconer gladly stumped up on the spot apparently.

The game I mentioned was in 92-3 (October) while the Urq header was 93-4 (May). So there was a year and a half between them.