The Howden End

Guest CALEY108

The Urquhart header was early in the second half at the Distillery End, midweek in May 1994 to give Caley a 1-0 victory over Thistle in their last encounter and both clubs' second last game ever. Urquhart indeed was not registered and Jim F did pay up the fine on the spot at the next League Management meeting.

If you have got a ticket for the Legends' Night you will see this goal early in the video presentation which will go ahead on two large screens during the meal. It runs from the earliest merger negotiations through (I think since production is not yet complete) to the St. J game in May 2004.

All credit and many thanks to Mantis without whose superb DVDs this project would not have been possible! :021:

So who was responsible... the "traitors" in the stand?! Stuart McKimmie, Alex McLeish and Eoin Jess were in the stand that night as well by the way.

Was it not that night that Jock McDonald was leaving the ground to be confronted by a group of Caley Rebels MOONING at him in the Howden End? Jock's immediate reply was to comment that what they were showing was a lot better looking than their faces.  :015:

• Like 1

Guest Glen Mhor

Anyone remember songs of the Howden End ? One much sung song was "Let's go for a little walk down by the Howden End, Let's sit down and talk, down by the Howden End, I wanna tell ya, that I love ya,

And I want you to be my girl, Little darling let's walk, let's talk, down by the Howden End." Sung to the tune of Under the Moon of Love - a hit for Showaddwaddy in the 1970s.

:023:

This is going back a bit, but I'm afraid I do remember a Jags league win at Telford St.

It must have been mid or late 60's and Caley were flying high - played 13, won 13. Thistle were struggling near the bottom of the league as I recall and an easy 2 points was expected, but they managed to win 0-2. Can anyone verify all that?

****, I was near in tears on the way home - absolutely devastated!  :019:

Guest Glen Mhor

Anyone remember songs of the Howden End ?

You obviously stood at the other end though  :004:

I stood at both ends but there was a substantally better atmosphere and view from the Howden End. I'm glad to see that you know your Telford Street geography !

:sillywave:

You obviously stood at the other end though  :004:

I stood at both ends but there was a substantally better atmosphere and view from the Howden End. I'm glad to see that you know your Telford Street geography !

Yep, and sampled the product on a few occasions too  :drunk01:

• 1 year later...
Guest michael60

You obviously stood at the other end though :thumb04:

Yep, and sampled the product on a few occasions too :rotflmao:

Showwaddywaddy - by Norman Gordon.

Put another nickel in to see the Caledonian - the only team in the Highland League - to play football, football, football.

My old man said be an Elgin fan - I said feck aff bollicks yer a **** - we took the Jail End in half a minute - we took the Briggs with the Staigo in it - We hammered the Huntly and we took the Beach End too - so dont dilly dally, and run with the Caley - and stand in the Howden End - The Caley :rotflmao:

The Howden End is wonderful - The Howden End is wonderful - its full of Pomagne, Scotsmac and the Caley - The Howden End is wonderful

The Original Wild Rover song

The Howden End is calling you

There was a house in west drive - the best house in the town - the stewarts and dyces - they lived there and partook of the Four Crown - now I have had five bottles - and a can of Heinz baked beans - and I have crawled outside of West drive - and spewed on ma new blue jeans _ The House of The Rising Sun.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't remember the year but have vivid recall of Denis Gowie flying header against Raith Rovers and connecting with the upright instead of the ball. He was fearless! Was right down at the front of the Howden End as I was too wee to see over anyone.

Can't remember the year but have vivid recall of Denis Gowie flying header against Raith Rovers and connecting with the upright instead of the ball. He was fearless! Was right down at the front of the Howden End as I was too wee to see over anyone.

And that would be in the days when uprights were made of real, solid wood!

Calling all Howden Enders out there!!!

1 Most Memorable Game - Mine was Jan 1990 when we beat Airdrie on penalties in the scottish cup,never experienced an atmosphere quite like that till this day :thumb04:

I remember that one and I think Caley made history that night too .... Was this not the first ever Scottish cup game to be decided on penalties after one replay. In seasons prior to this, cup games could go to multiple replays .....

I remember it was brassic that night and I was stood out in the open between the Howden End and the stand as I couldnt get into the Howden End (too full) and wouldnt go into the stand .... My work colleague was with me and he was a Raith Rovers fan and although he enjoyed the game he mused that we would never be as good as the mighty Raith :rotflmao:

Calling all Howden Enders out there!!!

1 Most Memorable Game - Mine was Jan 1990 when we beat Airdrie on penalties in the scottish cup,never experienced an atmosphere quite like that till this day :thumb04:

I remember that one and I think Caley made history that night too .... Was this not the first ever Scottish cup game to be decided on penalties after one replay. In seasons prior to this, cup games could go to multiple replays .....

I remember it was brassic that night and I was stood out in the open between the Howden End and the stand as I couldnt get into the Howden End (too full) and wouldnt go into the stand .... My work colleague was with me and he was a Raith Rovers fan and although he enjoyed the game he mused that we would never be as good as the mighty Raith :rotflmao:

You're right Scotty. This old Jaggie was dragged along by a couple of Caley supporting pals to watch history being made !

Guest birdog

My father's job took us back to Sneck in mid '89 I had been to a few Caley games previously as the coach of my school team in Kingussie was Freddy Neild and he had given me an interest in the club but the Airdrie match was the first real vivid memory of being in the Howden end and as far as I remember it was the first time I was allowed to take my bro to a match without a responsible adult. I think I remember helping clear snow off the pitch prior to kick off but I could be wrong. The atmosphere in the Howden end was superb that night better than any match I had been at before, and I had been a regular in the jungle at the piggery before then, I think that's the night I really fell in love with Caley.

Guest birdog

You have finally reduced me to feckin tears.

Either you've had too much voddies, a kick in the nads or or you got yer sarcastic heid on. The craic's good anyway :rotflmao:

• 2 weeks later...

This is going back a bit, but I'm afraid I do remember a Jags league win at Telford St.

It must have been mid or late 60's and Caley were flying high - played 13, won 13. Thistle were struggling near the bottom of the league as I recall and an easy 2 points was expected, but they managed to win 0-2. Can anyone verify all that?

****, I was near in tears on the way home - absolutely devastated! :rotflmao:

It was season 1967-68.

Not long before the merger, a soaking wet day. Caley 2 up at half time and cruising. The Jags scored twice to equalise then Wilsie Robertson scored a 25 yard screamer past Jim Calder in injury time at the Howden End to the delight of all the completely dry Caley fans. :rotflmao:

That was season 92-93.

My father's job took us back to Sneck in mid '89 I had been to a few Caley games previously as the coach of my school team in Kingussie was Freddy Neild and he had given me an interest in the club but the Airdrie match was the first real vivid memory of being in the Howden end and as far as I remember it was the first time I was allowed to take my bro to a match without a responsible adult. I think I remember helping clear snow off the pitch prior to kick off but I could be wrong. The atmosphere in the Howden end was superb that night better than any match I had been at before, and I had been a regular in the jungle at the piggery before then, I think that's the night I really fell in love with Caley.

Now there's a player for both Jags and Caley - Fred Neild and brother Bobby. Caley probably had the bet out of both but what a dream Freddie was. Haven't seen him for many years but hope he is still going strong down Speyside. Howden legends!!!!

Now there's a player for both Jags and Caley - Fred Neild and brother Bobby. Caley probably had the bet out of both but what a dream Freddie was. Haven't seen him for many years but hope he is still going strong down Speyside. Howden legends!!!!

Freddie would be in my all time great Caley team, fantastic left peg. Bobby had two spells at Caley and was initially signed as a striker, however, he will be best remembered as a sweeper in the double cup winning team of 71-72. Contrasting players, Freddie was classy laid back at times and made it all look so easy; Bobby was a determined, hard working player who lacked his brothers ball skills but could read a game very well. Both gave up playing in the Highland League just after the start of 75-76 season, I think to concentrate on their business. Freddie would have been in his late 20's and Bobby a couple of years younger.