The Howden End

Guest CALEY108

For me it was the St J's game, every Thistle game at telford street, and the away game scraps recounted the next week in the howdens 5 Elgin fans became 50!! I'll never forget the first time I was trusted to go to the back of the stand and get a pie and bovril for my uncle, I had no idea what the bovril was so save face I knew Kev took milk and suger in his coffee... well the rest is history!! I loved the songs, the shouting abuse at the players and the banter!! IHE ive got a salty tear welling!!

Have many great memories of being in the Howden End. The Scottish Cup, thrashing Ross County 6-1 in the North Cup in 77-78, last minute winner against the Jags in 92-93 but a cup game against Keith in 71-72 also stands out. Caley, 3 -0 down at half time, were shooting towards the Howden End in the second half. Gordie Fyfe pulled a goal back in a scramble a minute into the second half, he got a second direct from a corner 10 minutes later. With 25 minutes to go, Donnie Park equalised and then he grabbed the winner in the last minute with a half volley from 15 yards. Voctory made sweeter as a couple of school mates had come to the game as well, Ross County fans. One of them was Daniel Moores (County player) father.

• 4 months later...

Mid to late sixties every other week....................Presslie, Hogg, McInness, fecking solid..........and real wingers like Harry Smith and Freddy Neild........................ goal scorers supreme like Chic Allan and Davie Johnston............when Elgin and Nairn County were the real opposition and Gudgies and Jaggies were totally insignificant and given no serious consideration whatsoever.

And we changed ends at half time !!!

Did you remember the fire that destroyed the stand at Telfor Street.? I think I was in my lower teens and I watched from my Dunain Road back bedroom window as the smoke got darker by the minute.

Was a shock all round as I recall.

1950 I believe (I wasn't born at the time!) I think many of Caley's old records were lost in that fire which didn't help Alex Main when he came to write "Caley All The Way".

As I've said on this site before, it is a strange irony that the stands at Caley (1950), Clach (1988) and Thistle (1995) all burned down.

Did you remember the fire that destroyed the stand at Telfor Street.? I think I was in my lower teens and I watched from my Dunain Road back bedroom window as the smoke got darker by the minute.

Was a shock all round as I recall.

1950 I believe (I wasn't born at the time!) I think many of Caley's old records were lost in that fire which didn't help Alex Main when he came to write "Caley All The Way".

As I've said on this site before, it is a strange irony that the stands at Caley (1950), Clach (1988) and Thistle (1995) all burned down.

Twice in the case of Clach. I understand that the Grant Street stand burned down not long after the war only a couple of years or so before the Telford Street inferno.

Twice in the case of Clach. I understand that the Grant Street stand burned down not long after the war only a couple of years or so before the Telford Street inferno.

Now that's interesting! Didn't know about that one. Oh well, to paraphrase Oscar Wilde: "To lose one grandstand may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness."

Was the cause of the first Grant Street conflagration and clearer than that of second? :rolleyes:

And the answer to the trivia question: "Which was the only Highland League club in Inverness not to have had its stand burn down?" would (as far as I know) be: "Citadel".

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...