Cafes in old Sneck

Guest eliza

Is my memory playing tricks or was there ever a cafe at the High Street end of Eastgate called the Washington Soda Fountain?

And was there a cafe in Bridge Street, around the area where the ladies hairdressers is now?

I seem to recall my brothers being fans of the juke boxes in such establishments - when the records (old 45's!) went out of the top 20, they were sold on but centre pieces had to be acquired in order that they could be played on the old Dansette record players!

Imagine anything like that nowadays!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glen Mhor

Aye, you're right there was the Washington Soda Fountain in Eastgate - where the Bank of Scotland is now.

Other cafes I recall in the old Sneck were the Locarno, Ness Cafe, Rosie's in Eastgate, Rendezvous, the Balmoral in Queensgate, Dorando's in Academy Street (great bacon rolls there). In the 1970s there was a Wimpy in Church Street near where the Record Rendezvous used to be.

Used to enjoy going to the Washington Soda Fountain restaurant in the early 60's, placing the coke bottle into the slot of the cooler machine, pulling the handle and removing a ''freezing cold one''

Great juke box, wonderful songs, still my favourite musical era.

Being an old ex. postie working out of old H.Q in Queensgate most of us ate breakfast in the Locarno Cafe, using the market entrance across from the music shop, their filled rolls and cream doughnuts were wonderful.  I can still picture Renzo (the owner) Jean, who I believe was the manageress and the very likeable Olga working like crazy- it was a very busy, popular place.

Guest Glen Mhor

Charlie's had the most amazing window display packed with books on planes, trains and buses. Far better selection there than in Melvens or Menzies.

:024:

Aye, you're right there was the Washington Soda Fountain in Eastgate - where the Bank of Scotland is now.

Other cafes I recall in the old Sneck were the Locarno, Ness Cafe, Rosie's in Eastgate, Rendezvous, the Balmoral in Queensgate, Dorando's in Academy Street (great bacon rolls there). In the 1970s there was a Wimpy in Church Street near where the Record Rendezvous used to be.

Salvadori's in Greig Street. Wonderful ice cream with the option of raspberry cordial on top. I've said it before on this site, but what a wonderful snapshot old Caleyland Greig Street was.

Cushnie's Post Office, the Chemist, Salvadoris, the Coop, Morrisons, Frank Hills, the Caley Club, Jimmy Munros, the paper shop (previously Baddons the bikeshop), Diggar's barber shop which is worth a thread on its own.

(As a young Brooman said to me during the merger "Diggar McGillivray is hardly cold in his grave and look at what they're doing to the Caley!")

Does Morrisons cafe upstairs in the Market still exist ? Or , for that matter, the Griddle at the same location ?

Morrisons ceased to be about 15 yrs ago, twas taken over by Scotbake..which in turn shut in the market probably 8 years ago. Used to enjoy my trips upstair in there for my Pie and beans. Also Morrisons Bridies were the bizz! The Griddle is still there.......under different owners but not to sure if its still called The Griddle. I still pop in now and then. Used to have the best burger in town.

I too remember renzo's . Olga running her socks off but always with a smile. I remember renzo intoducing Anchovie rolls, they didn't exactly set the world on fire but I still like anchovies, but his bacon butties were the greatest- worth standing in line for.

On a different line, does anyone remember the 50/50 club ?? I remember a guy called Peem ? was it Guthrie, I begged my mother to buy me a guitar for my birthday, so I could play like him, so we went to the arcade and bought one from Captain Hendersons music shop. I remember it cost 20 gbp then I still have it and it is now so old - like me .

Guest Glen Mhor

Burnetts made quite good tattie pies too. They were good when they had beans in them. Harry Gow's are not bad but lack that essential ingredient - beans !

:014: