Cafes in old Sneck

Guest eliza

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the photo, I would also date it mid to late fifties and I am certain that there are two Macdonald sisters in it, one of them being Jean but I can't recall the smaller, younger ones name!

A hot pie, swimming in fat. followed by a cream doughnut was my 11 o'clock 'snack' daily, back in those days and I was still like an under nourished waif!  Changed Days Indeed!!

Anyone remember Olga ? she worked in the Locarno for years

I sure do remember Olga - she was a Locarno stalwart, as was Jean. Whatever happened to Olga ? Anyone know ?  :024:

I think Olga's still living in the town i saw her just a few weeks ago & she's no changed a bit !! Apart from the odd grey hair & wrinkle maybe ! ;D

Charles, the pies 'side effect' took a wee while to kick in - I think it was maybe about 10 years later that the waif was gone and another 10 years later the cream doughnuts took their toll and the youthful figure of yesteryear disappeared into the mists of time!

Waif now a memory, diet now a permanent part of life, with a fish supper creating a large attack of guilt!!

But I can still remember the Locarno taste to this day!!

• 2 weeks later...

Absent Friend, one of Jean MacDonalds younger sisters was called Marie but I am not sure if she was in the photograph. Marie sang in a local dance band - see Anything goes thread, reply #42.

The Mac Donald family were fellow'' Dalneighers'' originally from # 95 laurel Avenue.

Charles

"no man's land"  sums up Dalneigh to us 'up the hill' folk!!

Cheeky Sod.  :020: Similarly "the G and T ghetto" epitomises "up the hill" to us lot from Dalneigh!  :015:

In Dalneigh there is, or at least was, a genuine "no man's land" which divided the "hard as nails" top of Laurel Avenue from the rest of the scheme. This was the Dalneigh Road roundabout and when you cycled across that on your way home, you always looked LEFT to check that you were unlikely to be chased home by members of certain families from that end of Laurel avenue. I suppose Grant Street performs a similar role elsewhere in the town. So to which side of Union Road do the Crown Chavs live?  :015:

Guest Aboynamedsue

C    R    O    W    N  =

Chavs      Rule    &      Outnumber    Wimps  &      Nerds    :crazy07:

I thought you may have your geography of Sneck wrong for CHAVs and instead of 'Up the Hill' meant 'West of the river' as this new definition, apart from the 'Wimps' is more suited to Dalneigh and the Ferry!

I always though we were a bit 'wimpish' but I put it down to good breeding.

This opinion was formed in my youth and can be best illustrated by, say, a good save by our respective keepers:-

Up the Hill - Lots of polite applause and a chorus of 'Well done Murd'

Caley Park - Loud shouting followed by hand motions to the opposing fans - never any appreciation shown to Willie Bruce/ Iain MacDonald etc for their ability.  More tribal I felt.

Up the Hill - Lots of polite applause and a chorus of 'Well done Murd'

You obviously couldn't have been at the final derby at Telford Street in May 1994 where the Jaggies' anti Caley rhetoric was choice!

Seriously, though, I would also have to support your contrast between the two on the basis of what I saw at the meetings which both cluibs had during the pre merger process. On the Caley side.... three Battles of Rose Street with a fire alarm set off, a firework thrown in the hall and zoo like behaviour. On the Jags side... I didn't get access to the Jags' meetings but, sitting outside, waiting for the proceedings to end, it was actually difficult to determine whether or not a meeting was going on. Polite to the very end.

(As an aside... when the decisive Sept 9th 1993 Caley merger meeting was breaking up, somebody called out "Jags have gone for it by 2 to 1". The quick response from one Howden End wag was, of course "They never had as many as three at their meeting did they!?"

So when you cycle home from the town to Hilton, up Old Edinburgh Road, which way do you look down Southside Road for the Neds? Left or right?

And did you know there's a "Ban Chavs from the Heathmount" campaign on Facebook?  :015: