Fashion through the ages

dumpmaster

What was your worst item of clothing?

That when you see photos now you cringe, and wonder why your parents dressed you like a street Urchin or worse a Barbie doll.

I had a T shirt with a picture of a rabbit on it ,the T shirt was brown, and Mr Rabbit looked like he had just been getting jiggy with Mrs Rabbit.

I fear this picture could surface on or around my 40th birthday !!

:029:

You've heard about the Sounds of the Sixties... well what about the Sights of the Seventies?!

The 1970s must be the most sartorially cringeworthy decade in history. Flares, tank tops, perms (male), platforms.... It was AWFUL!

I can understand Kingsmills being deeply ashamed of his brief BCR period. BCR just about epitomised all that was embarrassing about the 1970s.

The only thing worse than seventies fashion was architecture of that most tasteless of decades.

Whilst the fashion is now but an amusing memory far too many of the buildings still blight the landscape.

Even those very few seventies buildings which are asthetically acceptable such as Eden Court Theatre seem to have been poorly constructed.

BCR just about epitomised all that was embarrassing about the 1970s.

The Rollers were the true founding fathers of punk, new wave, grunge, garage et al.

There was an obvious need for a bridge between the cross-dressing Bowie, the avant-garde NY sound epitomised by The Velvet Underground and the 'foot in both camps' New York Dolls. There was a huge vacuum for a sound that would move the 3 minute song from the junior Val Doonicans (Cassidy, Osmond, etc.) into a new and culturally distinctive sound from the provinces.

Siouxie Sioux said it all when she remarked that it was a Rollers gig she attended with a 14 year old Jonny Lydon that kick started the anti-establishment punk movement. Check out Les McKeown in The Clash's dressing room at Hammersmith Palais. Says it all... 

If it wasn't for the Bay City Rollers there would have been no Glasgow scene, no Liverpool sound, no Madchester and certainly no Manic Street Preachers.

Some day they will get the recognition.  :023:

The Bay City Rollers were really just the another in a long series of Scottish entertainment embarrassments... Harry Lauder, The Krankies, The Proclaimers, The Alexander Brothers, Andy Stewart....

The List is endless.

Where's Tam Paton these days, by the way?

Response removed on advise

Guest Glen Mhor

THE PROCLAIMERS!!??!!

Goodness me Mr. Bannerman - have you no class?!?

:015:

I know I'm in the minority here but I simply find the Proclaimers cringeworthy!

You may be in a minority but you are not alone in thinking that the Proclaimers are cringeworthy.

You may be in a minority but you are not alone in thinking that the Proclaimers are cringeworthy.

I used to cringe at their music but I was really impressed when they appeared on Andrew Neill's political programme - "This Week" - a couple of weeks ago.

Their passion for Scotland and their ability to debate political issues with the likes of Andrew Neill and Michael Portilla totally won me over.... They are a couple of switched on guys and a credit to Scotland.

I might even buy one of their records some day....  :023:

I used to cringe at their music but I was really impressed when they appeared on Andrew Neill's political programme - "This Week" - a couple of weeks ago.

Their passion for Scotland and their ability to debate political issues with the likes of Andrew Neill and Michael Portilla totally won me over.... They are a couple of switched on guys and a credit to Scotland.

I might even buy one of their records some day....  :023:

Saw them a three or four years ago at the Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto and they were excellent. They played a slew of old songs as well as newer ones from their "Born Innocent" album which they were plugging at the time. (that will date it for true fans). Even to casual fans, the national pride shown in some of the songs is clearly evident ..... "cap in hand" for example or to a lesser extent "throw the R away".

During the show they were just having fun - pretty self deprecating and not at all pretentious. At the end of the show they came back out to the (packed) hall and sat and signed autographs for people and had a chat with them - I had a good chat with both of them about football after they spotted my ICT top !

twee and uncool ? perhaps .... but also self-deprecating, humble and extremely proud to be Scottish.

Anybody that finds the Proclaimers "cringeworthy" just disnae get it  IMHO,(apart from them being Hibees which is pretty cringeworthy rite enuff!)your oviously not seeeing past the geeky,specky,tongue in cheek **** takin.Seen them several times ,their energy is awesome ,talent is superb and the humour,emotion and patriotism in the songs is far from cringeworthy

I can understand they're not everybody's cup of tea, but scratching the surface reveals a wealth of talent.

Their style is distinctly Scottish but with a modern slant to it. Not "Shortbread Tin" by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly not to be categorised with the likes of Harry Lauder, Andy Stewart and others who prostituted their Scottishness.

I wore flares and platforms in the mid-70s. (to keep it on topic)

Seen the guys live about 7 or 8 times. Heilandee is spot on. Funny how people in all corners of the globe are willing to see them for what they are- and see them as fairly cool too. Only a few of our own have the cringe  :32: