Eastgate ( Of Old )

Kingsmills

Guest Jock Watt

[align=center]I'm just wondering how many Italians stayed on in Inverness after the war? Remember the POW camp where one could buy from them copper rings made from coins?[/align]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some marvellous memories here but lets not forget the cordon bleu delights of the Morrisons greasy spoon in the market arcade.

Morrisons was the in place to be during the 60's/70's but can anyone remember the name of the cafe on Queensgate opposite the Post Office? From memory it too was an excellent tea room.

'Some marvellous memories here but lets not forget the cordon bleu delights of the Morrisons greasy spoon in the market arcade.'

What has this to do with Eastgate and Italians Dave? :015:

But i do recall going into Morrisons for Pie and Beans, and having to sit beside to wifee's yapping away about the bingo, smoking players number 10 non stop..

The restaurant opposite the Post Office was the Balmoral.

A96 I think you might be talking about the Cafe George but on the other hand there might have been another cafe quite near that too on the same side. Then in an earlier era (late 50s) there was The Queensgate ?Snackbar? just to the Church St side of Frasers the Butchers on that side. I think it disappeared quite early on though. Did there not also used to be an office of Duncan Duffy, travel agents, on Queensgate.

PS - the reason I wasn't sure if it was called the Snackbar was that when I was about 4 I used to call it the Queensgate Talbot beause I once spotted a Sunbeam Talbot outside!

The Balmoral Café it was indeed Caley100/Charles. Proper waitress service and China tea cups - excellent establishment.

Back to Eastgate – does anyone have photos of the old Eastgate that could be posted on this thread?

Thanks A96... just couldn't remember the name. Was the Cafe George not quite close to the Balmoral as well? Remember also the old style waitresses in the Carlton on Inglis Street... much loved by under age drinkers of the 60s? (The Carlton I mean - not the waitresses!)

There's a classic photo of Eastgate in late Victorian times - I think probably by George Washington Wilson - which I've seen in various locations about town over the years. I don't THINK it's one of those they now have in Morrison's Supermarket where there's certainly a good one of The Haugh about 1950 and the Friar's Shott round about the same time.

There's another one too. I don't think it's Eastgate... more likely the Town Hall with the Forbes Fountain in front of it. I'll check when I'm in tomorrow.

Ive got a couple of pics of eastgate circa early 60's in frames in the office reception, but i would need someone with a scanner and the knowhow to post them here.

The only downside is that the size restriction might make it difficult to see detail, if you want i can get pics photocopied for you A96.

The only downside is that the size restriction might make it difficult to see detail, if you want i can get pics photocopied for you A96.

We have no size restriction for the gallery - just the forum. If required, and so long as the photos are not under copyright to anyone else we can load intersting pictures like that into the gallery. We resize them to display at a decent screen resolution but also have the option to make the full size picture available ....

Ive got a couple of pics of eastgate circa early 60's in frames in the office reception, but i would need someone with a scanner and the knowhow to post them here.

Thanks Caley100. Maybe no need to go to all that trouble. I thought there might be something on the internet that could be posted. There's bound to be old pics of Eastgate in the Museum in any case.

Popped into Charlie's Cafe this morning for a coffee and a bacon roll. They have some excellent aerial photos of Inverness from the 60s and some great shots of the old cafe too. Well worth a look......and a bacon roll :003:

Guest Jock Watt

Maybe the Ferry Boys who gave A96 the doing were from the 4th Company.quote]

I was in the Famous Fourth and lived doon the Ferry, but was never involved or even heard of anyone getting a "doing" !

I still have the bruises to prove it Jock!! :004:

Not a blanket accusation against South Kessock folk by any means. These boys were from a different era from yourself Jock and obviously from one with less respect for other people.

Wasn't Eastgate a much more interesting place 30 or more years ago before the ubiquitous shopping mall arrived ?

I seem to remember it bustling especially during market days with both the Plough and the Hayloft being veritable havens of underage drinking.

What other memories are there of old Eastgate ?

i remember the hayloft and gatsbys

A96 I think you might be talking about the Cafe George but on the other hand there might have been another cafe quite near that too on the same side. Then in an earlier era (late 50s) there was The Queensgate ?Snackbar? just to the Church St side of Frasers the Butchers on that side. I think it disappeared quite early on though. Did there not also used to be an office of Duncan Duffy, travel agents, on Queensgate.

Before the Balmoral I think it was called ????(old age) but what I do remember about it was the owner Mrs Bergamini(?) - a model looking lady - pose and clothes to match - older than us but still had 'IT' in bucketloads!

Queensgate Cafe

Mrs Bergamini(?) owner - Model like and dressed to match - made even the young guys heads turn!

Eastgate

My home from home still not mentioned - the Crown Bar - George McKay the owner with Alex Smith as his right hand man. This was opposite the Highland Restaurant (Ronnie and Henry were the sons in those days)  So out of the Crown, over the road, and home except for a Friday night when it was the Crit, the dance bus to ???.. whereever the nurses were going to, Beauly, Strath, Drum etc. - then back on Saturday lunchtime to the Crown to get a wee reviver.

Life as it should be lived!

Guest jlmacd

CMIB... I do believe you are right. Do you also remember the little blue Pagliari's ice cream van that used to go all over town, summoning customers with the Harry Lime theme? **** good ice cream it was too, like so many of the Italians. That's the trouble since the Tally Cafes steadily closed down in Inverness - you can't get a decent ice cream anywhere. As far as I remember, the only decent non Italian ice cream you could get was from Stratton in Church Street.

EVA 11 is, I think, still running about Inverness, presumably originally the property of one Eva Pagliari.

So how many Italian food retail families did we used to have? Pagliaris, Serafinis, Salvadoris, Coffrinis (Ness Cafe), Bernardis... any more? I'm sure there are. Were there Capaldis in Inverness?

There were the Pieracinis (spelling?) - Charlie, as in 'Charlie's Cafe' (who I worked for after school) and his brother Claire who ran 'Charlie's Chip Shop' on Grant St. (I was in school with Clair's son Martin in the 70's.) Also, I remember Mike Persikini, who used to have the chip shop on Well's St.