RadioWatch ....

Scotty

Would you pay to listen (and watch) all ICT games live and access audio & video archives  

88 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

thought I would start a thread to keep note of how hard it is to listen to the SPL from outside the UK ...... a bit of a shame considering that the SPL had a big conference earlier this year to discuss what they could do to improve football tourism ........ maybe allowing overseas potential tourists listen to the coverage would be a start !

[attach=1]

[note: this is NOT a dig at the BBC - they are only adhering to their media rights contract. It is the SPL and other partners who make this so f****** ridiculous]

post-2-1194096295.gif

Imagine my surprise when I logged into Radio Scotland half an hour ago and have just listened to the last 30mins of the Killie v Celts game...go figure!

Though now I've alerted them to this anomaly I'm expecting the usual blackout.  :010:

Clacher - I am fairly good with web technology and I have tried all sorts of things to no avail.

The simple thing is of course using a UK based proxy .... idea is ok in principle, but unfortunately most basic proxies cant or wont deal with rtsp or mms streams ..... and the BBC are normally pretty switched on with their geolocation blocking. If there is a search term to a page that explains how to make this work, I have not found it ! There was a ``BBCproxy`` site but that got shut down sharpish

As far as I can tell the only things that work are to either dial in to a UK service provider or to have someone `shoutcast`from the UK. The first is expensive, the second chews up so much bandwidth that the shoutcaster will soon get a message from their ISP !

There is of course another far more simple answer and that is for ICT to enable their service provider`s audio and video module like virtually every other PTV provided site ...... that would allow all users to see and hear every single game either live or in highlights

I did send an email to the club many weeks ago asking this exact question but did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

Astonishing! Do they know the effort you put in to provide ICT with a web profile? Numpties. Maybe IHE has a point re. the management!

Ho hum  :024:

Maybe IHE has a point re. the management!

Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I dont  :004:

Maybe we could turn this thread into a positive one ..... I already know we have Pimple, Wanderer, myself, and probably a few others who would like to have the service provided by (and money going to) the club ..... but there is probably a cost involved to th club so maybe we need a little market research to see if people would buy in .......

time for a poll  :001:

I already know we have Pimple, Wanderer, myself, and probably a few others who would like to have the service provided by (and money going to) the club ..... but there is probably a cost involved to th club so maybe we need a little market research to see if people would buy in .......

time for a poll  :001:

I'll buy...esp. if the club benefit!

It is so annoying when the BBC internet coverage is interrupted (either Radio Scotland or 5 Live) to say 'they don't have the rights'. You'd think as a public service broadcaster they might tell you who does have the rights!

If nobody has the rights then why don't the SPL give them for free to the BBC....Is that to simple or am I being thick again!

If nobody has the rights then why don't the SPL give them for free to the BBC....Is that to simple or am I being thick again!

it is ever so complicated !!!!

The BBC have "non-exclusive" rights to stream audio within the UK from all SPL games. it is "non-exclusive" because the clubs themselves also have rights.

Where a club has not exercised their own media rights (eg, ICT, Gretna, Well, St Mirren etc) the BBC can also broadcast the audio worldwide without restriction so for example, we could listen to the Gretna game last week (and the Well game next week hopefully).

Where a club who has not exercised their overseas media rights plays a club who has (eg Rangers V ICT today) then the BBC are not allowed to stream the audio coverage outside the UK and it needs to be purchased from the club site. Unfortunately, most clubs do not offer this service on a game by game basis so its not possible to get a single ICT game from our opponents site(s). ICT dont offer the service at all so basically ICT fans are screwed !

[note: There are a couple of exceptions to the blocking ... Hearts only block games where they are the home team and Hibs dont block any games at all as they have a very different offering tailored for Hibs diehards so fair play to both teams from the capital.]

It is a messy minefield and needs clearing up if long distance/overseas fans of ICT or other SPL sides arent to just start walking away from their teams ......

It's only difficult because people chose to make it that way!

Non of the SPL clubs will cover the costs of internet streaming; the BBC are at every game....cest la vie

I still can't see why the bbc don't tell you who is broadcasting when their streaming is cut.

20 years ago I used to listen to Thistle & Caley games online through hospital radio at RNI where  games were covered from the back of the stand!

I'd be quite happy to pay but only if I could be assured of blanket service. I get a crap service already and that is free of charge!

It's only difficult because people chose to make it that way!

exactly.

I have ranted about this for a long time but its getting to the stage where I am starting to do other things on a Saturday morning ...... I know I cant listen to 70% of games so why bother listening to some other team's game ...... might as well do something productive and come back when its all over. That in turn leads to a feeling of detachment and eventually who knows what happens from there ..... perhaps I myself will become one of these "missing posters".

And yet the solution seems so simple ..... broadcast every game either via the BBC or directly from the SPL website. If its the BBC, they have a very good geolocation system so give it to uk bods for free (as part of license fee) and make the likes of me subscribe for the service. If via the SPL site, then subscription service in the same way as the majority of the other sites provided by PTV.

""As far as I can tell the only things that work are to either dial in to a UK service provider or to have someone `shoutcast`from the UK. The first is expensive, the second chews up so much bandwidth that the shoutcaster will soon get a message from their ISP !""

How much bandwidth you talking here?  My other line through smallworld (I think theyre called!) has a transfer rate of upto 30MB a second, it only gets used for newsgroups and other downloads, I'm sure something could be set up through that.

I've had it at 22mb a second for over 24 hours, so I doubt theyd be calling me on a Saturday afternoon about a poxy 2 hour BBC stream.

I guess it depends on the transfer rate but from some of the stuff I have read, I believe each game would chew up around 300Mb of bandwidth per user over the duration ...

The whole internet broadcasting sphere in the UK is getting way too restrictive - you cant even get independent radio stations over the web any more if you are outside the country either .... If I wanted to listen to Moray Firth for example, its a 'no can do' as well !!!! What are UK bureaucrats afraid of ?

As for Internet sites for SPL sides ... I did a little research and before too long, its likely that there wont be any games broadcast outside the UK as the majority of clubs will be exercising their own media rights ..... except ICT by the look of it !

If you read the bull**** on the SPL's own website you would think they are developing their online offering but I can listen to probably 75% LESS now than I could 3 years ago even though I am willing to pay for a simple but reliable service.

QUOTE: [source = SPL website] ... "An important part of the development of the SPL is to showcase the league abroad. Currently the SPL can be seen regularly via a combination of live, delayed, highlight and news access packages in over 100 territories across the world."

QUOTE: [source = SPL website] ... "Fans home and abroad have no excuse for missing any SPL action with more and more clubs offering online services for their supporters. Various clubs offer live coverage (for those outside the British Isles), archive footage, highlights or match commentary via their own websites."

WHAT ABSOLUTE UTTER AND TOTAL TRIPE !!!

• Aberdeen (PTV site) – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• Celtic – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• Dundee Utd – no live coverage offered, links to SportSound website !!!

• Falkirk – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• Gretna – no live coverage offered.

• Hearts (PTV site) – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of home matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• Hibernian – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches NOT blocked to listeners outside UK

• Inverness CT (PTV Site) – no live coverage offered.

• Kilmarnock (PTV site) – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• Motherwell (PTV Site) – no live coverage offered. recently moved to PTV so its likely its coming soon as they used to use internetfootball.co.uk !

• Rangers (PTV site) – offer live audio/video and archive service via website. BBC coverage of matches blocked to listeners outside UK

• St Mirren (PTV Site) – no live coverage offered. recently moved to PTV so its likely its coming soon as they used to use internetfootball.co.uk !

BBC webpage listing: Live - Calzaghe v Kessler

BBC Radio 5: "Due to contractual obligations we can't bring you the event that's currently live on air. There are many events that we do stream online. To find out which events check the listings online."

:029:

I have ranted about this for a long time but its getting to the stage where I am starting to do other things on a Saturday morning ...... I know I cant listen to 70% of games so why bother listening to some other team's game ...... might as well do something productive and come back when its all over. That in turn leads to a feeling of detachment and eventually who knows what happens from there ..... perhaps I myself will become one of these "missing posters".

Apt words Scotty. Now the clocks have changed I turn off at half-time, 11.45pm local time. Unless it's the rare occasion ICT are the default main commentary. 

I suppose it's supply and demand. The Old Firm are global brands and can market their 'product' in every corner of the globe. One of the most popular sitcoms in China has 3 kids as main characters. Typically they are always dressed in NBA gear (basketball is big here). I was gobsmacked the other day when one of them appeared in full Celtic gear with Carling emblazoned on the front. Whatever anyone thinks of the club, it's a memorable strip and 500 million households just got an eyefull.

I suppose if ICT signed a Chinese player...  :024:  OK, I'm off on a scouting mission  :sillywave: 

This is a good summary of what is available to us overseas listeners --i.e. generally speaking virtually nothing.

I am not surprised that you got no answer from the Management at ICT Scotty.This generally means that they think you are a nuisance and don't want to talk to you --looks like Canadian attitudes to responses have  moved over the Atlantic.; i.e rudeness and discourtesy  is a growing trend. Yu would imagine that honesty would be the best approachhere and just say "Sorry , but we just don't wnat to spend the money".

Some time ago I also contacted the Supporters club asking whether they got the 25 pounds for the lottery tickets I had purchased but did not get an answer either not to mention the letter I also sent to the same Supporters club asking , after some two months, if and when they were going to cash my membership cheque. Streuth !they must be rolling in funds.

As for the radio brodcasts I am going to also write to ICT and will advise whether my missive also gets ignored.

Meantime I do even listen to the games that DO actually come through online (the last St Mirren game) mostly to keep in touch with what is going on with ICT , e.g up to date score line, half-time commentary.. etc.

But , like you, Scotty this getting to be too much effort since I generally need to fall out of bed at 6.30 a.m in order to have my wake-up coffee before  kick-off at 7a.m. local time  and I have no intention of lying on my foamy in my dressing gown with the headphones on for much longer just for past tense football.

Think yourselves lucky SP, it's 2am kick off here now. Before the clocks changed I hadn't missed a game, be it via radio or via live text update when radio isn't available... have to admit that I switched off and went to sleep after 5 mins (took ages to filter through) on Sat.

Having said that I would pay for ICT tv/radio, what I won't do is pay for Satanta which is just OF pap.