New Contracts v New Signings

Interesting article wrt using the available money to reward the players by improving existing contracts. Also states that they may have sepcial conditions in new contracts wrt sell-on clauses etc - this is good news and protects the club.

CHRISTIE SET TO OFFER CONTRACT REWARDS

Inverness head coach Charlie Christie will limit his transfer activity during the summer in order to offer enhanced contracts as a reward for his best players this season.

The Caley boss would like to strengthen his squad prior to the start of the next Bank of Scotland Premier League season by recruiting a small number of players who can improve his team.

But, instead of blowing his budget on new signings, Christie is set to reward the efforts of players, who have propelled the Highland club into seventh place in the table.

Christie said: "One of my thoughts is to perhaps increase the terms offered to the players who have done so well here, rather than spending it on guys who may not be able to perform at this level.

"But, if we can sign two or three quality players and keep our current squad, then I am sure we will do really well next season."

Christie is also considering a minimum sell-on clause inserted in some contracts, in a bid to ward off interest in his most valuable assets, such as Craig Dargo.

The 28-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Dundee United and former Inverness boss Craig Brewster.

Christie said: "It is not something we have done to any great degree here in the past with any player.

"But it is feasible and would give us a bit of stability because we already know how much our players are worth.

"I would love to see Craig Dargo extend his stay with us and this would let him keep his options open, but I honestly don't think anyone here is thinking about moving on."

But Christie has told "one or two" of his current squad it is in their best interests to leave during the close season.

He added: "I have spoken to one or two other individuals who are under contract here and told them they will probably have to leave to enhance their career, especially as we have the transfer windows now.

"If they don't move now, then I am concerned they could be sitting here in September or October a little disillusioned at not playing so much.

"So they will think about what I have said and get back to me."

With the variation in contracts now and different bonuses for different players it paves the way for a couple of big name players and hold on to our our more 'ambitious' players. It has been brilliant to keep the players all on a very similar salary for our first 2 seasons in the SPL but now we are making more money we need to take the chance and match what other teams can offer... obviously it is important we spend the money on the right personel but I think it is a step forward for the club!