whats the crack with rankin?

strathyjags

Guest Spectre

Looks like a done deal now ... back page of P&J has fee agreed at ?110k, just personal terms to be agreed which is hardly going to be an issue.

What a f*** up.  Our best formation has definitely been 4-5-1 with Rankin linking with Niculae, they were building a good understanding.

:008:

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

feel we have done well to get ?110k (given the starting bid of ?3.50 from the Midden) but all in think we have been shafted a bit given some of the money paid for similar players playing at 'higher profile' clubs. Lets hope we have negotiated a cut of his sell on fee as Hibs seem to turn shoite into gold nowadays.

We probably have enough cover in midfield (Niculae & Wyness can both play in the current (not wide left) Rankin role and some are suggesting Marcus can too). So would like to see the cash spent on getting in a good striker with pace and some cover for the back.

- Edited so that we don't start the Niculae wide left debate again :rotflmao:

Still it's annoying that Aberdeen got more for a lesser player (Clark) who had only  a few months left on his contract  :008:

I think Aberdeen pulled a "Hibs" there - getting excellent money for a woeful to average player. If I was Calderwood and I was told of that offer I would have driven Clark down the road myself.

Good luck to Rankin. He is quite lucky getting his girlfriend pregnant, making himself homeless and still finding a good short term job.

He clearly had a performance problem early in this season which did not relate primarily to Brewster. He has made a good comeback from these problems and we should wish him well.

His goal against Rangers last year will be his legacy in the Highlands.

Think he served the club well and was the ultimate professional by all accounts.  Feel Brewster must shoulder some of the blame for his departure.

I heard back at the start of September after the Hibs game at Easter Road that Brewster had sat down with all members of the squad and that Rankin was told he was not fancied for a first team position.  He was then told in November that the club would look at offers for him.  This was also made public.  Can you really blame Rankin for selling his house and feeling his future lay elsewhere given we are the only SPL side in the Highlands. 

He will be a big loss for the club as demonstrated by our dire performance on Saturday without him.  The midfield had been looking good but Brewster seems to have shot us in the foot.

Guest Aboynamedsue

He will be a big loss for the club as demonstrated by our dire performance on Saturday without him.  The midfield had been looking good but Brewster seems to have shot us in the foot.

I too have a feeling we're gonna get humped on Sunday & going by our recent performances away from home we'll be lucky if we get anything at Fir Park next weekend ! :029:

I actually have no beef whatsoever with Rankin moving. Although I would like to see some sort of thank you to the club and the fans for getting him in a position where he can sign for one of the countries top 5 clubs, the fact of the matter is Hibs can offer him more wages, more cups and more marketability (1 and half million pounds for Murphy :015:) than we can.

At the moment :011:

Hibs it is then, here is the Beebs take on it

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t..._ct/7171461.stm

Hibernian have signed Inverness Caledonian Thistle midfielder midfielder John Rankin for ?110,000.

The former Manchester United player held personal talks with the Easter Road club and has agreed a three and a half year deal after passing a medical.

Both St Mirren and Falkirk had bids rejected for the player and Hibs were twice thwarted.

Rankin is the first signing brought to the club by Hibernian's new manager Mixu Paatelainen.

The 24-year-old Rankin had been told that he could find a new club but has recently won himself a regular starting place with the SPL outfit.

And Inverness indicated that they are looking for more than the ?65,000 they paid Ross County for the left-sided player in the summer of 2006.

A move to Easter Road would see Rankin, who still has a year-and-a-half on his contract, reunited with Donald Park, the new assistant manager at Hibs.

Park left the same role at Caley Thistle in November, citing family reasons.

And Paatelainen moved for Park last week when he took over the manager's job at the Edinburgh club.

St Mirren are believed to have approached Inverness with a ?40,000 bid for Rankin, but that was dismissed along with a slightly improved offer.

Rankin began his career at Manchester United but moved to Ross County in 2003, having failed to break through at Old Trafford.

He has netted three goals in 18 appearances this season but was not included in the squad for the Scottish Cup defeat by Hibs on Saturday.

So did no one else here Brewster speaking on North Tonight this evening?

Rankin only made up his mind to leave after being left out of the team for so long  :029:

Nothing about homesick, pregnant girlfriends...?

Nope.

I'm sure he used the phrase 'rewarded' instead of compensated as well. I think? Wine has been consumed  :023:

Rankin number 20, is on the bench for todays Edinburgh derby, just kicked off now................

Defending throw-in by Ian Murray (Hibernian). straight back into the side for Ian Murray.

Almost a doubling of our investment for an utterly useless player who we paid silly money for in the first place.

Who would have thunk it?

Guest TinCanFan

Almost a doubling of our investment for an utterly useless player who we paid silly money for in the first place.

Who would have thunk it?

Don't know which player you've been watching.  Obviously we thunk differently.