whats the crack with rankin?

strathyjags

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one of those subjects that the club will never win on.

When they choose to play the cards close to their chest, then some of the fans get upset because they aren't getting any information, and when they go public then the other half get upset because they aren't keeping things under wraps.

At no time have I seen anything which said Rankin had a fixed price on his head.  Back last year when Rankin wasn't getting a game and Brewster came back he was (according to reports) told the same thing as many of the players...if you want to play, then you have to earn your position.  This didn't seem to please Rankin, whether that be because he thought he was frozen out for other reasons or he believed he was good enough to be guaranteed a start we are unlikely to find out.  A statement from the club at the time said something along the lines of...we would be willing to listen to offers for Rankin come the transfer window...nowhere did it say we would sell him, and lets be honest, most clubs would be willing to listen to offers for any player in any window provided the price was right.

Since then, and rather coincidentally, Rankin has played his way back in to the team.  For that reason alone the club will have a higher valuation on Rankin than they might have had if he had still been sidelined.  It's a catch 22, if he had been still on the sidelines we would unlikely be getting offers, and now that he's playing regular and playing well, we aren't going to accept nonsense offers.

I think the club are right to be handling this they way they are.....far too often you get players playing the "personal reasons" card in the hope that clubs will somehow become easier to deal with and it is about time we drew the line or players will continue to try and p!ss all over the contracts they have with us.

If Rankin is so desperate to get away then perhaps he should consider topping up the offer from one of the other clubs out of his own pocket as I don't see how we should be the ones to lose out because of what amounts to no more than a lifestyle decision on his part.

I think the board are doing brilliantly by not get bullied into selling Rankin.  Hopefully a stupid club will come in with a big offer and we can be rid.... but if not he can buy himself a new house and get on with fulfilling his contract.  Delighted we have pushed out St Mirren dirty junky scum bags

1. The club never put any price on Rankin. They did say they'd be looking for more than we paid Ross C. That could be anything from ?65k to infinite.

2. Anyone who wishes to buy a new property would normally sell the existing one first. Someone finds out that Rankin has sold a house so they embellish a story.

3. What I've read in the papers and on news websites over the last few days is speculation about transfers and bids. Nothing more. Niether ICT or any of the other clubs involved have been directly quoted as to the facts.

4. Anyone who believes what they read on P & B needs their head seen to. Whisper and rumour becomes fact so easily on there.

Bids are being made for Rankin. The club doesn't want to lose him so will, rightly so, hold out until the offer they cant refuse comes in. Rankin is under contract to perform to the best of his ability and will do so. He's a professional.

Guest TinCanFan

Apparently there was also a team in England after him.  Don't which team it was though and Kilmarnock were also after him but probably stopped their interest when they signed Alan Morgan.

If Hibs have been and are after him they must rate him pretty highly.

And Mixu is no dummy judging by his silky handling of the BBC commentator in that interview he did just before the Hibs game . Remember that song "smooth operator".

I am sure Hibs don't care which club they get a good player from and if their valuation to their club is a certain figure then they are likely to pay it regardless of whether the club is in the top or the bottom half of the SPL. Now, if the lad is in the 3rd Division, however  then that is a different story..

Can you buy John Rankin on e-bay?

wow

4 items found for john rankin in eBay Shops

Chants of the week

"We couldn't sell you on ebay!"

Grimsby Town fans to ex-keeper Anthony Williams.

Pretty sure the Man Utd fans tried to sell Darren Fletcher on ebay at one point  :024:

Can you buy John Rankin on e-bay?

wow

4 items found for john rankin in eBay Shops

Chants of the week

"We couldn't sell you on ebay!"

Grimsby Town fans to ex-keeper Anthony Williams.

Pretty sure the Man Utd fans tried to sell Darren Fletcher on ebay at one point  :024:

Yep, for one pence!  A chant about that was also pretty popular.

BTW, I don't think you can blame John Rankin for preparing to leave by selling his house after his boss basically said "Prepare to leave, I don't want you anymore - get yourself a new club."  I wouldn't be hanging around in that position either.  Especially when, no doubt, my new employer would probably offer me more money and better prospects.  And in my book "we would be willing to listen to offers for Rankin come the transfer window" is the same as "we want to sell him".

Has Brewster anyone in mind to replace him?  Markus has still to prove himself at this level so I hope we're not relying on him (though he looks a decent player).

Daily Record claims that ICT have asked for ?100k for Ranks... and that Hibs second offer is below that.

Grassa says that if the valuation is not met ICT will not be bullied into selling him off and he will remain an ICT player, good on ya...

Patti looks like he might become a great asset for the club, he has more pace than rankin, and certainly gets into the box as often as possible, which is something Rankin didnt do much.

Daily Record claims that ICT have asked for ?100k for Ranks... and that Hibs second offer is below that.

Grassa says that if the valuation is not met ICT will not be bullied into selling him off and he will remain an ICT player, good on ya...

Patti looks like he might become a great asset for the club, he has more pace than rankin, and certainly gets into the box as often as possible, which is something Rankin didnt do much.

If Patti is that good, we should sell Rankin now as the longer he stays the less we will get.

If Patti is that good, we should sell Rankin now as the longer he stays the less we will get.

How did you figure that one out?  He still has 18 months on his contract.

I think Brew has made a big mistake here, but more worryingly hibs coming in for blackie, this would be a disaster, as for replacing ranks, cc had the chance to sign wee blackies pal Liam Buchanan one of the top scorers to date, not all brews fault but he better make sure we don't loose blackie.

I don't think Blackie is going anywhere just yet.  Rankin is unhappy and understandably so with some of the behind the scenes stuff.  We are right to hold out for a reasonable fee for him.  Looks like it will be Hibs and I suspect that will  happen before the weekend.

This article was on Setanta Sport on November 17th......

Inverness midfielder John Rankin is facing the prospect of having to leave the club when the transfer window re-opens in January in order to revive his ailing career.

Rankin?s chances have been limited with The SPL club ever since Craig Brewster returned to manage the Highlanders for a second time back in August.

The 24-year-old former Ross County player has appeared just six times this season for the club, all of them from the substitutes? bench.

Rankin has held talks with Brewster over his future and it seems the inevitable will happen in January.

Rankin said: ?I spoke to the manager four weeks ago as it has been a frustrating spell for me.

?I have hardly played at all since he came to the club and he told me a couple of clubs had been in touch asking if I was able to go on loan, and he asked me if I was interested.

?He feels I need some games and he wants to see me playing so he can have a good look at me,? said Rankin. ?What I wanted to know was what would happen if I did go on loan at another club.

?Would I be in the same position when I came back to Caley Thistle or would the situation change?

?The situation was left as it was and I suppose we will know more when the window opens. I haven't been told I can go or anything like that, but a loan move is looking more likely the longer I go without playing."

I agree with previous comments made about Marcus....  In fact I would say he has the potential to become a really great player....

Brewster made a comment last night on North Tonight that there could be more than one player leaving ICT during this window...

I would hate to see Marcus leave - but given that he has been nurtured throughout his career by his big brother I would not be surprised to see both he and Rankin finish up at Hibs...

That would be a serious blow for our long term plans.... :018:

Rankin is a better passer, can get past players better, has more of a threat at set pieces and is a much better crosser than Marcus and has a better shot.

I think that both have qualities the other doesn't. For example Marcus is much more of an aerial threat than John.

Just as long as none of them are Byrne or Duff  :020:

We aren't being linked with them are we?