whats the crack with rankin?

strathyjags

Patti looks like he might become a great asset for the club, he has more pace than rankin, and certainly gets into the box as often as possible, which is something Rankin didnt do much.

Rankin is a better passer, can get past players better, has more of a threat at set pieces and is a much better crosser than Marcus and has a better shot.

I think that both have qualities the other doesn't. For example Marcus is much more of an aerial threat than John.

Just as long as none of them are Byrne or Duff  :020:

We aren't being linked with them are we?

Marcus is far better at beating players than John. But I don't think you can compare the two, Rankin is a left midfielder (I've always thought his playing style was very similar to Beckhams), wheras Marcus is more of a winger type player.

And unfortunatley were are being linked with those two. Can't say much for Duff myself having only seen him against Caley, but Byrne is feckin awful!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd rather have Rankin than Marcus myself. Actually, if we were to continue with a 5 man midfield I would have the following midfield

Cowie - Duncan - Black - Rankin - Marcus

I actually think that is a fantastic midfield and it's sad to see it dismantled.

Duff is an atrocious player. We better not go anywhere near him. Byrne could do a job at the back. He has been solid enough for Aberdire in the centre of defence. Play him at left back and he gets murdered by the opposition right sided player.

Been a long time since we've had an out and out winger on the left at ICT.  I don't think we can honestly say we've seen enough of Marcus to judge him or compare him to Rankin, but from what I've seen of him I think he is more than up to the job (provided he hasn't gone totally to pot after his injury).

At home, we are always a bigger threat when someone gets up a bit of steam down one of the wings as the width of our pitch stretches the opposition.  Not since the days of Robson have we fully utilised this to our advantage, instead relying on the likes of Rossco and Hastings to make the runs from the back.

My vision for a 5 man midfield without Rankin would be something like

Duncan-------McBain

Cowie-------Black-------Paatelainen

That would be the bones of a flexible midfield IMO and I would say we have ample cover to support it.  Although another left sided midfielder would not go amiss, I think it would have to be more of a defensive midfielder as cover for McBain.

A wide player doesn't even have to have a great deal of pace really to be effective/"good". Look at Agathe. A really bad player but because he had the pace to knock it beyond a player and sprint past he had the extra couple of seconds to pick out a team mate.

Maybe a good pacey wide man is what we need?

Guest WynessLegend

Is this not signed and sealed yet?

There's no place at ICT for a player with Rankin's inconsistency.

I'll be delighted to see the back of him - and if we can con ?100K out of Hibs that'll be a real bonus.

I'd rather have Rankin than Marcus myself. Actually, if we were to continue with a 5 man midfield I would have the following midfield

I actually think that is a fantastic midfield and it's sad to see it dismantled.

Totally agree.... That was the midfield that lined up for most of the second half against Gretna, and although we didn't score during that period, we were in total command....

To take both Rankin and Marcus out of our squad now would be a huge body blow...

Totally agree.... That was the midfield that lined up for most of the second half against Gretna, and although we didn't score during that period, we were in total command....

To take both Rankin and Marcus out of our squad now would be a huge body blow...

Have to agree both have different attributes, Rankin great shot good passing more of a midfielder than a forward.  Marcus is more physical better in the air and seems more like a forward than a midfielder

My midfield would be like so..

Duncan    Black

Cowie    Paat.. Marcus    Rankin

with Niculae playing target man himself

but with Rankin leaving I would like to see Marcus in the hole and McBain out wide until Zander comes back and wins his place on the left wing

the future:

Duncan    Black

Cowie    Paatalainen    Zander

:021: :021: :021: :021:

Been having this debate over on the Scotsman's site where a Hibs fan asked me to describe Rankin:

"Technically gifted left-sided midfield attacking player with a rocket for a shot. Expert at set plays. Sometimes gets criticised for not putting in enough effort but that's b@**@cks. What they mean is he doesn't tackle back much but so what? Russell Duncan does that all the time but never gets forward. Different type of player.

Was signed by Manchester United as a youth. He's maybe similar to someone like Buffel at Rangers, though not as good (but, then again, I rate Buffel a lot higher than Walter Smith does!). Bit like your Boozy or Zammamma but more 'Scottish/British' if you know what I mean (not so much flair, bit more controlled aggression)."

Assuming Duncan and Rankin leave (and our purchases are to be cheap cheap cheap), my team would be:

Fraser,

Tokely Munro (Scott Wilson from Dunfermline) Hastings,

(Mensing from Motherwell)

Cowie Black (Owen Morrison from Dunfermline or Robert Snodgrass from Livingston),

Niculae

(Deuchar from Gretna)

Subs: ?, Proctor, McGuire, Hart, Barry Wilson, Paateleinen, Bayne, Wyness

I think Paateleinen is more cover for Niculae rather than Rankin myself. (and I'm not overly pleased with those midfield purchases either but lets face it, that's the level we will go for)

Daily Record claims that ICT have asked for ?100k for Ranks... and that Hibs second offer is below that.

Grassa says that if the valuation is not met ICT will not be bullied into selling him off and he will remain an ICT player, good on ya...

Patti looks like he might become a great asset for the club, he has more pace than rankin, and certainly gets into the box as often as possible, which is something Rankin didnt do much.

If Patti is that good, we should sell Rankin now as the longer he stays the less we will get.

How did you figure that one out?  He still has 18 months on his contract.

Figure what one out? Quite aware he has 18 months left on his contract but he wants to go and it sounds like the club want to cash him in. If he stays against his will, he won't play in the 1st team so, that being the case,  who is going to pay for him later on? Sell whilst the product is in demand!

If he stays against his will, he won't play in the 1st team so, that being the case,  who is going to pay for him later on? Sell whilst the product is in demand!

Why wouldn't he play in the first team if he did stay on...  :symbol_question:

Fraser,

Cowie Black (Owen Morrison from Dunfermline or Robert Snodgrass from Livingston),

Niculae

(Deuchar from Gretna)

:017: :017: :017:

Been having this debate over on the Scotsman's site where a Hibs fan asked me to describe Rankin:

"Technically gifted left-sided midfield attacking player with a rocket for a shot. Expert at set plays. Sometimes gets criticised for not putting in enough effort but that's b@**@cks. What they mean is he doesn't tackle back much but so what? Russell Duncan does that all the time but never gets forward. Different type of player.

Was signed by Manchester United as a youth. He's maybe similar to someone like Buffel at Rangers, though not as good (but, then again, I rate Buffel a lot higher than Walter Smith does!). Bit like your Boozy or Zammamma but more 'Scottish/British' if you know what I mean (not so much flair, bit more controlled aggression)."

Class, almost exactly how I would describe Rankin, proverbial 'nail on the head'

Assuming Duncan and Rankin leave (and our purchases are to be cheap cheap cheap), my team would be:

Fraser,

Niculae

(Deuchar from Gretna)

Subs: ?, Proctor, McGuire, Hart, Barry Wilson, Markus, Bayne, Wyness

I think Paateleinen is more cover for Niculae rather than Rankin myself. (and I'm not overly pleased with those midfield purchases either but lets face it, that's the level we will go for)

then it all goes wrong  :029:

Mensing wouldn't be a bad signing though

We are also looking to bring 3 in on the back of Rankin's departure

just because we have bid for 3 players doesnt mean any will relocate to inverness.highly doubt we,ll get 1 in let alone 3

[attach=1]

post-2-1200509906.gif

Fraser,

Niculae

(Deuchar from Gretna)

:017: :017: :017:

But on our presumed budget, could you do better? I'd be more confident in Wilson and Deuchar than Dods and Dargo before they signed.  Mensing's better than Duncan.  Snodgrass is a decent player that will only get better but nowhere near the current quality required (maybe in 3 years time!).  But, I ask, can you do better on our budget?

But on our presumed budget, could you do better? I'd be more confident in Wilson and Deuchar than Dods and Dargo before they signed.  Mensing's better than Duncan.  Snodgrass is a decent player that will only get better but nowhere near the current quality required (maybe in 3 years time!).  But, I ask, can you do better on our budget?

I'd rather see Gary Wood, Vigurs and Sutherland all given extended first team chances like Rorys before signing any of those players.

I do like Snodgrass though, I like Dorrans and Mcmenamin from Livi too, I'd be happy to see any of them given a shot at the SPL,