McGuire rejects Caley offer

Libero

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see him remain here - but there's no way he should be holding us to ransome.... :017:

Proctor was absolutely fine in a cental defensive role on Saturday.... He's more than capable of making that position his own....  :022:

If the offer was a 'decent' one then **** him. He is good, but he is not Darren Dods or Bobby Mann who were immense for us. However, if the offer was merely ICT's lowball figure then offer him an improved and decent contract and see what transpires. Agree we should not be held to ransom though.

I don't think he is that good, his mistake got proctor sent off, got Rosco into a situation were he gave away the penalty. I think proctor has what it takes to become a sound central defender alongside Munro.

He also looks suspect with high balls seen him on several occassions misjudgeing the flight of the ball and allowing it to bounce over his head.

I would say good luck but on your way.

I was re-assured by Proctors performance at centre half on Saturday but the way it stands now we have one permanent centre half in Grant, one temporary centre half who may be the answer in Proctor and one centre half on loan who doesnt appear to be anywhere near the first team in Steven Watt.

I fear we are just one or two injuries or suspensions away from serious problems, unless Brewster has another centre half lined up to replace McGuire.

I agree we should not be held to ransom but it does appear we are not making the centre half position a priority, if Brew is keen on McGuire why hasnt Dunfermline been contacted regarding his availabilty?

maybe i'm mistaken and ICT are making their transfer dealings top secret....

The article confuses me a bit. It says we offered him a pre contract which to mean normally means we would get him at the end of the season. But then the piece also says that he is a free agent at the end of January. What an odd time for his contract to run out at Dunfermline.

So we have offered a pre contract to McGuire who is out of contract at the end of January. How strange.

I don't think he is that good, his mistake got proctor sent off, got Rosco into a situation were he gave away the penalty. I think proctor has what it takes to become a sound central defender alongside Munro.

He also looks suspect with high balls seen him on several occassions misjudgeing the flight of the ball and allowing it to bounce over his head.

I would say good luck but on your way.

Word for word, I agree with everything that has been said here  :clapping03:

Guest Spectre

I can't agree he's unimportant, we need somebody a bit physical like him the in the defence so hopefully the club has more to offer him.  Everyone makes mistakes, but he's been a big part of shoring us up at the back.

Bigman is correct. We should add that he has been booked regularly (6 times).

He did nevertheless, bring some stability after Stuart failed to grab his chance.

After Saturday when Proc said he wanted the Central position on a permanent basis this did not ring true - he is McGuire's flat mate!

I wonder what part of the offer he is not happy with? is it a money issue or length of contract offered Or both?

He may not be holding the club to ransom, perhaps they have deliberately gone in low on terms, and a more realistic offer may get the man.

Lets hope it can be sorted, like to see him stay.

I wonder what part of the offer he is not happy with? is it a money issue or length of contract offered Or both?

He may not be holding the club to ransom, perhaps they have deliberately gone in low on terms, and a more realistic offer may get the man.

Lets hope it can be sorted, like to see him stay.

Thats pretty much what I was inferring above. I know from conversations I have had with certain people, that ICT have - in the past - made less than acceptable offers to players as a starting point only to up the numbers to a reasonable level later. I guess its all part of the negotiating process. The unfortunate thing is that this has led to players leaving in the past.

If its a lowball figure then ICT need to make him a realistic offer to stay as he is a decent player who has done reasonably well with us.

If the player is holding out for a package that would seem to be beyond his worth then its "thanks for what you did, but best of luck in your future games elsewhere" as far as I am concerned

None of us know which scenario is the right one, or even if its a bit of both so lets hope it gets sorted.

How much do you think Marius's wages are on the mind of the players trying to negotiate new deals?  Are they now less likely to accept a similar standard of wage structure, when one member of the team is earning so much more.  Surely some of them see themselves worthy of a higher wage.  This wasn't an issue before as we had a tight wage structure within the club.

Once McGuire gets a few international caps under his belt then maybe, just maybe he can put himself in that bracket !!! until then he is a reasonable defender who should be worthy of a reasonable salary. ICT shouldnt take the p*** but neither should he.

However, if, as posted on another thread, Russell Duncan is another who is to leave then maybe there is a bit more than a grain of truth in what you have just posted.

He was probably on good money at Dunfermline which is why we ended up with him in the first place. Brewster has stated that McGuire is happy with us and wants to say. If he's rejecting our offer then i'd suggest that we are still offering significantly less than the likes of Falkirk and St. Mirren.

The crux of the matter is that we are offering opinions without really knowing the facts ..... not that that has ever stopped us before  :004: ... but lets face it - wages are none of our business so we cant reasonably expect to be given details from anyone.

all we can really say is .....

If ICT have offered him something less than what might be deemed acceptable then the player is right to knock it back and the club need to get real.

If ICT have offered a decent wage, reasonably comparable to what he could expect elsewhere then the player should give himself a shake and realise this.

either way, I would like to see him in an ICT shirt, but not if we have to pay a big premium because he used to earn more at Aberdeen or the Pars.

How much do you think Marius's wages are on the mind of the players trying to negotiate new deals?  Are they now less likely to accept a similar standard of wage structure, when one member of the team is earning so much more.  Surely some of them see themselves worthy of a higher wage.  This wasn't an issue before as we had a tight wage structure within the club.

I'd say L_G has just posted the understatement of the year with these comments.... :018:

I agree with much of what's been said. McGuire is a decent player who has settled in well to the squad but who has been guilty of a number of mistakes.

He would, no doubt b a useful addition to the team but he's not so special that we shoud consider breaking the bank to secure him.

I my opinion, he merits the same sort of salary as Tokely or Munro. If we have offered much less than that we should offer more to put him on a par with these other experienced defenders. If he's looking for much more we would be better served looking elsewhere.

Has anyone thought that this may have to do with a guy up the other end of the pitch probably earning five times what Phil has been offerred. Personally, I have no problems with that but it's going to be a problem

This is going to be the thin end of a very interesting wedge, no pun intended....

The peeps that mention Niculae on this thread are absoulutely on the money. I sed it way back when he signed that paying him way more than anyone else would come back to haunt them. Why should ANY first team regular feel his contribution is worth so much less then Niculaes? ICT have made a very big rod for their own back over this.