McGuire rejects Caley offer

Libero

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be a lot of 'guesswork' on this thread!

Maybe he's just being a greedy *******?? Maybe he's on far more at the Pars than what we've offered? Maybe there's been no offer made yet??

Maybe he thinks he's far better than he actually is, and just sees us as a stepping stone to a 'bigger' club!

Who knows?? He's certainly not the saviour some people suggest. Decent enough player, but he's made his own fair share of feck ups this season.

He's certainly no better, or worth more, than any of our other defenders.

Has anyone thought that this may have to do with a guy up the other end of the pitch probably earning five times what Phil has been offerred. Personally, I have no problems with that but it's going to be a problem

This is going to be the thin end of a very interesting wedge, no pun intended....

First and foremost, although none of us know the sum of money that any of our players are on, that is a load of shi te. The general consensous is that Marius is on about ?4,000 a week, and I guarantee that Phil isn't earning less than ?1500.

Secondly, as Scotty says, Marius has 20+ international caps, played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, and has been responsible for around 14 of our goals this season (8 for himself, won 3 penalties and 3 assists. Phil was a reserve at Aberdeen and played for a relegated club. He has also cost us a few penalties and has 6 yellow cards to his name.

Now granted I think that he is an excellent player and is a good asset to the club, but the club should not be held to ransome, especially when we have an ex chelsea hotshot patiently waiting in the wings.

yet again we take a player from another  club who was going nowhere career wise. lets not forget  phil was not even getting a game for the pars in the first division. reminds me of dodds all over again. he should realise like others before him it is playing for our club surrounded by quality teamates that has improved his game and not the other way round. i say  take or leave the offer and we will see how many so called big clubs are queing for his signature.

No worse than most other professional teams in the UK (or overseas).  Name me one who has a fixed wage structure!

WE did till the Dargo/Niculae situation arose. And if you ask me..........thats why the team worked so well and smoothly, as there were no "Prima Donnas"

The original story posted was that McGuire had turned down a pre-contract agreement with us in which case we wouldn't have needed to speak to Dunfermline.

If he had agreed or does agree then we would speak to them about buying out the rest of his contract so he could join us now

from the Courier online

Bennett explained that McGuire has spoken to new Pars manager Jim McIntyre regarding his possible departure from East End Park and as a result of these discussions, Caley Thistle have made a bid to sign the player on a pre-contract given his deal with the First Division club expires at the end of the season.

"We entered into talks with Phil's agent as soon as the transfer window opened and I'm hoping to hear soon if our pre-contract offer has been accepted," he stated.

"If our offer is successful then the next step will be to talk to Dunfermline again and try to get him now rather than wait until the end of the season."

Does that explain everything? It would seem that we are following a process whereby the agent is approached first before asking the owning club.

Does that explain everything? It would seem that we are following a process whereby the agent is approached first before asking the owning club.

So long as we are attempting to sign him on a pre contract then there is nothing wrong with that AFAIK.

Since he's on loan with us till the 15th, I take it he's still training with us?

Should be easier to meet for discussions if he's in Inverness, than down south I suppose...

How much do you think Marius's wages are on the mind of the players trying to negotiate new deals?  Are they now less likely to accept a similar standard of wage structure, when one member of the team is earning so much more.  Surely some of them see themselves worthy of a higher wage.  This wasn't an issue before as we had a tight wage structure within the club.

Players will know that a player who is on bigger wages has earned them by getting 4 win bonus's, which they probably might not have got, to me that player is earning his bread.

Mcguire is ok, not more than that, nowhere near as good as Dods. Proctor can win more in the air, is quicker and looks more assured than him.

Mcguire has made a few mistakes which have cost us, including his miss of the high ball which Miller ran on to and caused Rossco to f*uck up, not only that he's feckin ugly.

Not quite sure why, all of the sudden, people seem keen to highlight mistakes in McGuire this season. Is it because he might not sign for us? Between them, McGuire and Munro have formed the most effective partnership at the heart of our defence and I think we would be foolish not to get him on board

Since he's on loan with us till the 15th, I take it he's still training with us?

Should be easier to meet for discussions if he's in Inverness, than down south I suppose...

Yes he is definitely still here.  I saw him yesterday coming in from training.  Today is usually the team's day off, so I wonder if anything will be resolved. 

Not quite sure why, all of the sudden, people seem keen to highlight mistakes in McGuire this season. Is it because he might not sign for us? Between them, McGuire and Munro have formed the most effective partnership at the heart of our defence and I think we would be foolish not to get him on board

I think it's just a case of putting things into perspective RiG.  I don't think anyone is denying that he's dona a job for us and most seem to think he would be a good acquisition, but when weighing up his "worth" then all things need to be considered and you cannot deny that, even for a centre back, his disciplinary record is a bot poor.

Guest I-Hate-County

He is a very good defender. Much better than ****** McCaffrey was! Im gutted if he goes coz Proctor is fuking SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

He is a very good defender. Much better than ****ty McCaffrey was! Im gutted if he goes coz Proctor is fuking SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

A bit harsh  :023: Proctor has the potential but needs the time - not shure if we can afford to give him that straight away in the SPL. McGuire aint no Beckanbauer but he has experience. An extension of the loan until the summer would be good business.

Feck me - beginning to agree with you a lot  :001: According to this board everybody has been crap this season.  :crazy07:

First and foremost, although none of us know the sum of money that any of our players are on, that is a load of shi te. The general consensous is that Marius is on about ?4,000 a week, and I guarantee that Phil isn't earning less than ?1500.

Secondly, as Scotty says, Marius has 20+ international caps, played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, and has been responsible for around 14 of our goals this season (8 for himself, won 3 penalties and 3 assists. Phil was a reserve at Aberdeen and played for a relegated club. He has also cost us a few penalties and has 6 yellow cards to his name.

Now granted I think that he is an excellent player and is a good asset to the club, but the club should not be held to ransome, especially when we have an ex chelsea hotshot patiently waiting in the wings.

What bollicks - You do NOT pay wages for the feckin past - the distant past - and Mainz are one of the biggest clubs in the world  :crazy07: - You pay them for performance - overall performance - in the here and feckin now - comparable in general terms to their peers. Marius is worth 1.5 - 2K  a week fer his presence. Why are so many peeple so defensive about Niculae - For example, How many goals has Cowie been responsible fer ?

The players are not bitter at Marius per se. They are stating that their performances deserve wages being increased. The club decided to break the wage structure - which they always said they wouldnt. If they had raised the bar fer Dargo and he was under performing we would be slagging himoff and the players would have every rite to complain.

re-McGuire making mistakes.  I think what people are pointing out is he should in no way be holding us to ransom.  I am on the line that he has done well for ICT, we have given him the opportunity to play in the SPL, he does make mistakes like everyone else, just that some of his mistakes have been brushed under the carpet because we have been on a decent run of form, he is not Dods or Mann, he would be worth keeping to the end of season at the least, but he is not the complete defender we have been looking for and should still bring in that six foot six stopper.

I just get the impression that as soon as a player decides to leave us or reject terms a lot of people suddenly turn round and say "Ach well, he wasn't really that good anyway". Fact is we have been on our best run when Munro and McGuire have been playing together and I hope that continues. It's another piece of the puzzle in place as far as I would be concerned.

The Highland News Online seems to have a different version of the tale...

McGuire, who joined ICT in August on a short-term deal is due back at the Pars this Saturday, but ICT are hopeful he'll agree a pre-contract which would keep him in Inverness till at least May.

Bennett said: "Contrary to media reports, we have agreed a nominal fee with Dunfermline to take Phil here on a pre-contract. There are still several permutations and the exact nature of the move is yet to be decided, but he could come in until the end of the season on a pre-contract."

All very confusing  :023:

How on earth can he come to ICT until the end of the season on a "pre contract"?

As far as I was aware a "pre contract" is what Duncan could sign with Aberdeen right now and join them when his current deal expires.