Rankin Div 1 Player of the Year

Thought there was a Rankin thread somewhere but couldn't find it. Anyway since he has just got the Div 1 player of the year award the price might have just gone up. Interesting that St.Mirren are listed as favourites to get his signature.

Rankin voted best in Division One

_41621922_rankin203.jpg

Ross County midfielder John Rankin has been voted Division One player of the year by his fellow professionals.

The Dingwall outfit slipped out of the title and promotion race in the latter part of the season, finishing fourth.

But the 22-year-old had been particularly instrumental in their early-season challenge and scored 13 goals this term.

Rankin had joined County from Manchester United in 2003 is wanted by St Mirren and Inverness Caley Thistle.

County rejected January bids from Scottish Premier League outfit Inverness and from the Paisley outfit, who are expected to launch another attempt to sign Rankin now that they have won promotion to the top flight.

And if Black left as is continuously rumoured we wouldn't be looking at Rankin? I think any money from a Black sale might be used to try and prize him away from County. What might be done is that ICt say to Brewster that he has to come up with the goods by such a date so ICT know where we stand and whether we need to bid for Rankin or not.

Guest Sam

I think he is a good player, but feel we are not the sort of club who shells out £70,000 on transfer fees. Quite a lot of money - for that sort of money at a club like ICT, I would be looking for an exceptional player. If he is exceptional, then fair play.

Teletext says we've had a third offer for Rankin rejected.

Caley made a club record £50k for Rankin and manager Charlie Christie said "We thought our bid war realistice but we now turn to others."

Ross County Director of football George Adams said "We want to keep John. We don't foreseee another Inverness bid and we're not looking for one" :007:

It was 50k upfront and more over a period of time so that might have made it an overall larger offer but County appear to have made it clear that they want the money all upfront.

£50,000 is a very good offer for a player completely untried at SPL level.

SPL Level?? There isn't much of a difference between the bottom clubs in the SPL and the top clubs in the First. Its not like the gulf between the premiership and the championship in England.

I can understand Ross County being reluctant to sell there prize asset but you would think the player himself wouldn't fancy another season in the first division. Can't see County challenging for the title this year with all the upheveal and penny pinching up there.

Shame they weren't interested in any of our players for a cash + players swop

Mind it was reported that Hart was going to go to County plus cash for Rankin. Intersting then that Hart has really upped his game since that story came to light in January.

I do indeed. Certainly motivated Mr Hart.

County want cash more than anything and I doubt the players we would likely be offering would be of much interest to them.

This situation is SO frustrating. I really think Rankin would be a fantastic signing but I can see him going elsewhere now :007:

Never saw him play after the Jan window closed, but all reports he went off his game with all the media attention, also i was at a wedding last sat. where Stuart Gilmour was a guest, he said that their interest from St Mirren was an attempt to put the player off for the run in to end of the season - sure worked, he didnt score much after that.

Ross County have also now got the problem that they have a player who admits he wants to play in the SPL, By holding on to him he will not be giving 100% in my mind.