Traffic lights in Olde Inverness

Charles Bannerman

This one comes out of a conversation I had with a colleague about the proliferation of traffic lights in Inverness in recent decades. Maybe SP, Jock Watt, CMIB or Canuck can do better than I can, but I certainly remember when there were just THREE sets of traffic lights in the town at Kenneth Street, the Town Hall/ steeple (where they no longer are!) and "Boots Corner".

At this point I am going back to the 60s, possibly the fairly early 60s, and I am also trying to remember where the fourth set went.... was it possibly the junction of Drummond Road and Culduthel Road?

But it's remarkable, isn't it, that traffic density in our ancient Royal Burgh used to be such that, within the living memory of quite a few, it could be controlled by just three sets of lights. On the other hand we are talking about days when the said traffic included horse drawn Stratton milk floats!

I made a comment on the Inverness Courier wesite story on friday about Highland Council wanting ASDA to foot the ?1.2 mllion bill for MORE traffic lights near the Inshes roundabout. WE NEED LESS in this place.....not more!

Anyone remember a few years ago, the traffic lights went down in town centre, so the drivers had to self police themselves and the traffic has never moved so freely and well!

I was brought up in Glenburn Drive, and always remember the lights at Drummond road/culduthel road junction, used to walk to Gordons garage ( Muirfield svce station) for sweets and juice, so they were there in the early sixties for sure.

There was a set of lights at the top of church street, a set at the bottom of castle street, and a set at Inglis street, the ones at tomnahurich street make it five going by my memory, but then i'm younger than you lot...

Its the proliferation of roundabouts that seems weird to me ..... I remember having to try and direct people from the A9 or A96 to the Muirtown locks area a few times ..... try it for yourself and see just how many times you have to mention "take the 'nth' exit from the roundabout"

This one comes out of a conversation I had with a colleague about the proliferation of traffic lights in Inverness in recent decades. Maybe SP, Jock Watt, CMIB or Canuck can do better than I can, but I certainly remember when there were just THREE sets of traffic lights in the town at Kenneth Street, the Town Hall/ steeple (where they no longer are!) and "Boots Corner".

I have a vague recollection of there being only one set in the 50s, at the High St./Castle St. junction, but I could be wrong.

The only one that I rember was that Tomnahurich street./ Kenneth Street and less so those on the High Street and theat road that led down to the Playhouse cinema.

I was jusr remaarking to a friend from Britain nthe other day what a joy it was in ther "Olden days" to druive around. Now it's just a frigging nightmare--can't take your eye aff the road at all these days.

e.g. On sunday came up behind a young woman (no old ones on the road now since they have all been killed off) clutching a cell phone to her ear, driving with her elbows on the wheel, eating a hamburger and doing her makeup in the front mirror. An absolutely true story :crazy07:

I believe originally there were 2 sets of lights. Kenneth St./ Tomnahurich St. and Inglis St./High St. The Steeple and Culduthel Rd. appeared later.

On the subject of traffic lights, does anyone remember the Bobby who won awards for his expertise in performing points duty?

He used to draw a crowd whenever/wherever  in action - he was like an octopus! really gave himself a workout! I don't believe he was a local lad, I can picture him ''clear as day'' maybe Eliza cah help with this one?

Yes, Canuck, I can!

Constable George Stewart, was known as the "Mechanical Cop" because of his wonderful arm movements whilst on points duty.

George, to this day, remains a respected resident of Inverness, - if you recall a dark haired gentleman, with a small moustache - always courteous and still with us in the City.

Oh, for a George Stewart nowadays, to sort out the traffic?  Are Police trained now to deal with points duty or is it left up to Traffic Wardens, or the public, to just get on with it?

He was incredible and I've always wondered who he was! His arm movements and the specificity of his gestures were just amazing. There was no doubt where and when he wanted traffic to go but I remember him when I was a young kid and I found it a bit scary... although perhaps not as scary as hesitant motorists did!  :crazy07:

I think he used to do the odd stint on duty at the Caley Park as well. Another cop I remember there on Saturdays in the mid 60s was a chap we called "baby face". Several years later I spotted "baby face" with a large amount of "scrambled egg" on the peak of his cap, indicating quite a degree of promotion!

George 'hands' Stewart is my neighbour and is doing fine,  he still manages to control traffic in the avenue, stopped me at the end of the driveway last friday when the Bin lorry went past.. his hands were not quite a blur but used his native 'wicker' tongue to good effect.

Are Police trained now to deal with points duty or is it left up to Traffic Wardens

There is certainly enuff Traffic Wardens these days to deal with traffic (some with mopeds even). Seems not that long ago there were 3-4 of them